Would you use Ride Sharing?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
If not, why not?

https://www.uber.com/

Real-time ridesharing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I drove, instead of using the train, to ride from the suburbs into Chicago, the drive times could range from 35 minutes to an hour and a half... or more.
Only one reason... 1 person, 1 3000+ lb car... five wide and 28 miles long.

In a world of high tech and high efficiency, why?

Vee grow too soon alt und too late schmart.

Last edited:
There is a phenomenon in the Washington, DC area called "slugging" which allows drivers to pick up complete strangers in order to be able to use HOV lanes. No money is exchanged.

About Slugging

I don't stay at the office all day so hard to have passengers.

Not unless I was both hard up and armed.

We used to call it hitch-hiking! :) I have given rides and gotten rides this old-fashioned way and I have also given rides using ride share via the web. 'slugging' sounds like a great idea.

I figure this would make a great phone app.

Logon, add a picture, possible finger print

Now the system knows who you are, both driver and passenger. Both can post their desire. Both get to see each others profile and using gps where they are. i.e. how close.

If ride is excepted the system records time, date and info on the grouping. When group is split, that is recorded also. A comment section that travels with the profile so you can comment on your experience.

Now this may not stop something bad from happening, but it would sure let the authorities know who was with whom. I also thought the system could gather enough personal data to run a simple background check. Service would be free and pay for itself with ads around the gps point.

If I lived in the city, in this case San Francisco, then sure. Why not? I know a few people that use Uber regularly. I've got the app in my iPhone. Just have never had an opportunity to use it.

Back
Top Bottom