Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Wow, $1067 bill on cell phone
Old 06-15-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, $1067 bill on cell phone

I moved to SF with a Chicago 312 area code. When I bought the phone it was all, no roaming fee, unlimited calls both local and natinwide.

I got a $1036 bill today from T-Mobile because I had a 312 area code in SF.

Is this real or should I sue?

T-Mobile you just ate some last time dust. Never again.

First thing tomorrow, corner of 3rd and Market, your shop will have an irate customer and turn in their phone.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Wow, $1067 bill on cell phone
Old 06-15-2006, 07:39 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

OAP, some voodoo, witch doctor, gay rights activisthigher power in San Fran is telling you to get out of there.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:45 PM   #3

Some body is telling me to stop buying American goods and services.

I am on that theme.

F America. Buy nothing, reduce tax burden, avoid taxes.

Really good advice.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would go to a local sales office of T-Mobile and ask them to explain the bill. After all your are only visiting SFO, right? Ask them for a copy of your contract and explain how it is that your bill is correct.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:10 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've regularly used my t-mobile phones all over and never been overcharged at all.

You arent roaming are you? Perhaps theres some additional fee for roaming and you've just locked onto someones signal where you are. Most phones can be forced to use the 'home system' only.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #6

CnFB don't know but I'm going to T-Mobile in about 45 minutes and get some answers.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:43 AM   #7

Aha, perhaps those bums you photogrpahed were respectable folks ruined by cell phone bills...$1000/month might put me in the gutter

Good luck--hope it was some sort of error.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:36 AM   #8

It couldn't be the 346.48 minutes of 1-900 calls to dirty talking women charging you @ $2.99/min.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:21 PM   #9

Well here's the outcome, I owe the $1067. At no charge they gave me 1000 minutes instead of the 600 I had and I don't have to sign the normal 3 year contract. She made the 1000 retro in this billing period cause I was over and she gave me an additional 350 minutes this month till I get settled with the moving thing.

My plan is to get a regular phone as part of my RCN package and then go without a mobile after using up the 350 minutes + 190 I still have or 540 minutes.

The bill with all tax and bull stuff was $48 so I figure in 2 years I'll be even.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you worked a pretty good deal.

I'm tied to a cell phone as long as I am taking call and working, but I really like the Corona ad once I'm FIREd; goes something like this:

Man and woman sitting on beach reading, you are behind them.
Beeper goes off, man slowly retrieves beeper, looks at it.
Woman slowly turns head to look at man.
Long pause.
Man tosses beeper into ocean.
Both return to reading their books.
Sip of Corona.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
Well here's the outcome, I owe the $1067.
So you still owe the $1067?
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:56 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

OAP
this just doesn't seem fair, or I'm not understanding what happened to you. We have Alltel, travel all over, and never get charged for roaming. Why did they charge you. Just doesn't seem fair to me.
Uncledrz
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:26 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

So this was the type of plan that while you were making calls within your area (312) regardless if it was local or long distance you were not charged roaming.

However, if you made calls outside of your area (home base of 312) you were charged roaming, even if the call you were making was local to SF.
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:26 PM   #15

Sounds like a rotten deal.
Will your TMobile be any good if you decide to travel abroad for long periods of time?
Old 06-16-2006, 02:42 PM   #16

Uncledrz, LL
when I got the phone I still remember the salesperson saying you have unlimited long distance calling. Well their "Unlimited" means you have however minutes of anytime for long distance and then it gets charged at some outragious rate.

I had to make a lot of calls during May and went over my 600 minutes.

vagabond,
I'm not even sure if my phone will work overseas. I'm going to Europe later this summer and I'll try using it.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:54 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm not even sure if my phone will work overseas. I'm going to Europe later this summer and I'll try using it.
OAP,
If it's a tri- or quad-system phone it should work, but you need to login to your T-mobile account on the web (or call them) and enable international calling.
I've been pretty happy with T-mobile international coverage and their rates are competitive (although it doesn't mean cheap and since you used your 600 minutes in May you might get a pre-paid SIM instead in the country you are going to)
So far I think I tested T-mobile in Fiji, Australia, Egypt, Czech, Netherlands, UK, France, Ireland, Poland, Germany and Italy.

I'll let you know next week if if works in Greece, the Sailors are going sailing around Cyclades

sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:04 PM   #18

Thanks sailor,
well with you going off sailing all the time, I have a question if you don't mind. I have tried mightly to simplify my life but I seem just swamped by paperwork.
Leases, phone bill, cable bill, hospital bills, insurance documents, brokerage, bank, rental furniture, tax notices, tax audits, on, on, on.

I open my 6 in x 6 in mail box and it's nearly full.

How can you leave for long periods and survive the swamping?
Old 06-16-2006, 05:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
OAP,
If it's a tri- or quad-system phone it should work, but you need to login to your T-mobile account on the web (or call them) and enable international calling.
I've been pretty happy with T-mobile international coverage and their rates are competitive (although it doesn't mean cheap and since you used your 600 minutes in May * you might get a pre-paid SIM instead in the country you are going to)
So far I think I tested T-mobile in Fiji, Australia, Egypt, Czech, Netherlands, UK, France, Ireland, Poland, Germany and Italy.
T-Mobile worked very well for me Intenationally. Most of my co-workers who travelled almost everywhere in Europe and Asia had switched to T-Mobile over the last few years. I never did check what the costs were....the T-Mobile invoices went to some accounts payable clerk and I never saw the charges.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:48 PM   #20
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Thanks sailor,
well with you going off sailing all the time, I have a question if you don't mind.* I have tried mightly to simplify my life but I seem just swamped by paperwork.
Leases, phone bill, cable bill, hospital bills, insurance documents, brokerage, bank, rental furniture, tax notices, tax audits, on, on, on.

I open my 6 in x 6 in mail box and it's nearly full.

How can you leave for long periods and survive the swamping?
Sailor can describe what he does, but when I was cruising, I had all my mail go to a mail forwarding service that catered to boaters. They had a "toss the junk" option if yoiu wanted to trust them to toss everything that looked like junk. That's what I did. I used them for about 6-7 years. Worked great -- I just called, emailed, or radioed them once in a while and said to send whatever was waiting to general delivery at ___, and please have it there by such and such date.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote