Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyway, the good news is that it's unlikely the rest of the paint on the wall will be affected by whatever caused it to come off with the tape. And, the fix (now mask the casing and touch up the wall) is likely to go just fine if the paint on the casing is allowed to thorough dry and they sand back and feather any "pulled loose" paint on the walls so that there's no bump where the new paint has been added. But that probably can't be done immediately because the casing paint must be thoroughly cured (so you don't have the same problem when the tape is removed from it) and also the paint on the walls must be very thoroughly cured and "hard" so it can be sanded/feathered back. If the paint that's been pulled off the walls is only in tiny and inconspicuous spots, maybe they won't need to sand/feather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
This actually works out perfectly...he can make the corrections as project is now on hold until we determine the extent of drywall termite damage which was discovered yesterday when they ripped up the old hardwood .
Termites damaging drywall? I've never seen that. I suppose they could eat the paper on the back, and they could build tunnels on top of it, but I've never seen them damage the gypsum.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Termite damage.. this totally reminds me of "love it or list it" when they start ripping into the these older houses and find all kinds of damage that has to be fixed. The owners are always so PO'd that the money isn't going into things that look pretty.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Anyway, the good news is that it's unlikely the rest of the paint on the wall will be affected by whatever caused it to come off with the tape. And, the fix (now mask the casing and touch up the wall) is likely to go just fine if the paint on the casing is allowed to thorough dry and they sand back and feather any "pulled loose" paint on the walls so that there's no bump where the new paint has been added. But that probably can't be done immediately because the casing paint must be thoroughly cured (so you don't have the same problem when the tape is removed from it) and also the paint on the walls must be very thoroughly cured and "hard" so it can be sanded/feathered back. If the paint that's been pulled off the walls is only in tiny and inconspicuous spots, maybe they won't need to sand/feather.

Termites damaging drywall? I've never seen that. I suppose they could eat the paper on the back, and they could build tunnels on top of it, but I've never seen them damage the gypsum.
DryWOOD termites...i've got drywall on my mind .
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DryWOOD termites...i've got drywall on my mind .
Oh, okay. Yep, I think termites will eat wood.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Termite damage.. this totally reminds me of "love it or list it" when they start ripping into the these older houses and find all kinds of damage that has to be fixed. The owners are always so PO'd that the money isn't going into things that look pretty.
I love those shows and couldn't agree more! Our house is only 28 years old and during our Phase I, 2 bathrooms and laundry room, the GC and I were both amazed that no problems were discovered. During Phase 2, downstairs bath and kitchen, also no problems until the hardwood in the breakfast nook was ripped out yesterday and based on what the termite company said, we have at least 4 infestations. They are coming out again as well as another company to do a more complete inspection to assess unseen damage.
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #26

I was hoping the moderators would have addressed this, but I decided to be the one to speak up.

I find the title to this thread to be very offensive. I do realize that the term is becoming more commonly used, but I've enjoyed this forum for the courteous, and respectful way folks exchange their knowledge. I avoid folks, both in real life and on the internet, who must use expletives to express themselves.

TrvlBug is now on my ignore list within the board's software options.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This actually works out perfectly...he can make the corrections as project is now on hold until we determine the extent of dryw[ood] termite damage which was discovered yesterday when they ripped up the old hardwood .
Another thing: If you've got a wall/floor opened up and can see/access where termites have been before, I'd highly recommend that you ask your contractor/workers to apply BoraCare to any sheathing/framing that could be re-infested later (old wood and new replacement wood). The stuff doesn't cost very much (consider the alternative . . . ), it's quite safe for humans/mammals (the active ingredient is just a borax compound that kills termites/ants, etc). It's highly effective and lasts virtually forever if the wood doesn't get wet. There are other treatments that contain borax, but BoraCare has penetrants/surfactants that let the borax get all the way through 1.5" of wood if just treated on one side (twice). It's good, cheap insurance against future termite/carpenter ant problems, and it's only practical to do it when you can access the wood. If you buy a gallon, you'll probably have plenty left over for treating other accessible areas of your home (esp rim joists and mud sills, maybe some outbuildings, etc).

This is a "backup" to whatever whole-house treatment/monitoring/contract the pest control company will surely want to sell you.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
I was hoping the moderators would have addressed this, but I decided to be the one to speak up.
If you have a problem with a thread or post, why not report it and let the mods address the issue? That's the reason for that little red and white triangle in the lower left corner of every post. Click on it and lodge your complaint.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If you have a problem with a thread or post, why not report it and let the mods address the issue? That's the reason for that little red and white triangle in the lower left corner of every post. Click on it and lodge your complaint.
Because I wasn't aware of the little triangle
Old 06-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I find the title to this thread to be very offensive. I do realize that the term is becoming more commonly used, but I've enjoyed this forum for the courteous, and respectful way folks exchange their knowledge. I avoid folks, both in real life and on the internet, who must use expletives to express themselves.

TrvlBug is now on my ignore list within the board's software options.
Jeesh.... a little overly sensitive, eh? I suppose you'll probably put me on your ignore list too. I'm not ignoring anyone yet, though it has been tempting at some times in the past.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

philliefan, thanks very much for the paint chemistry lesson! I never understood about low VOC paint and what that meant, exactly, so I'm grateful.

I do my own painting, but learned the hard way that YOU MUST USE PRIMER. That's the extent of my expertise, and I like Kilz.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I was touring a house that a friend was considering buying that was in the final states of completion when we toured it and there was a crew painting the kitchen. There was a guy there trimming around a light switch plate rather than taking the cover off, painting and then putting the plate back on

I told my friend that if that was indicative of the quality of the work then he should pass on the house. Luckily, he didn't like the house anyway.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Jeesh.... a little overly sensitive, eh? I suppose you'll probably put me on your ignore list too. I'm not ignoring anyone yet, though it has been tempting at some times in the past.
The level of civility and useful information from you and vast majority of posters is what makes this forum so valuable. Which is what makes the use of an expletive so rare and unnecessary that it really stands out. Been on this forum for 14 years and may be the first time someone has used an expletive that I recall.

Probably get pillared for expressing my disappointment and "intolerance", but sure learned a lot about painting issues!

End of rant.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Maybe it's just me, but at once in 14 years, I'd just let it pass instead of calling someone out and scolding them in public ..we do have "private messages" too. I think that would be the civil way to do it. This really didn't reach the level of moderator intervention IMO.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #35
Administrator

Forum SW automatically filters certain obscenities, but some milder ones are commonly used here. A forum search of WTF brings up over 500 hits, so it is not uncommon. As an expression, however, it is neither obscene nor vulgar, but does point toward other words that may be.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The level of civility and useful information from you and vast majority of posters is what makes this forum so valuable. Which is what makes the use of an expletive so rare and unnecessary that it really stands out. Been on this forum for 14 years and may be the first time someone has used an expletive that I recall.
We consider maintaining civility on the forum to be a reasonable objective. This particular expletive has been allowed several times in the past as MichaelB has pointed out, and it would seem arbitrary to for us to change that for this thread. However, this is a good time to ask our membership to try to keep the expletives toned down if at all possible.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...wtf-52626.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...wtf-52885.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ean-44256.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...wtf-41843.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...wtf-20731.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...wtf-22705.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...etf-39700.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-me-19866.html

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Awww, W2R, you included a Jennifer thread! Good times, certainly. Can forget sometimes how really acrimonious things could get back in the old days. Much more peaceful and civilized now, by comparison. But that was funny as all get out!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Can forget sometimes how really acrimonious things could get back in the old days. Much more peaceful and civilized now, by comparison.

Yes it's funny to see some members complain about how the forum "isn't what it used to be." Careful what you wish for...
Old 06-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Awww, W2R, you included a Jennifer thread! Good times, certainly. Can forget sometimes how really acrimonious things could get back in the old days. Much more peaceful and civilized now, by comparison. But that was funny as all get out!
Now that thread was truly bizarre.... I'm glad it pre-dates me.... I might not have returned.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

World Taekwondo Federation
****** WTF What If
****** WTF Work Time Fun (PSP game)
***** WTF Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
***** WTF When They Fall (band)
***** WTF Worse Than Failure
**** WTF Williamstown Theatre Festival
**** WTF What the Frak? (Battlestar Galactica)
**** WTF Way To Fail
**** WTF Will to Fight
**** WTF Wasn't That Funny
**** WTF Why the Face?
**** WTF Way to Fly
**** WTF Why the Failure
**** WTF Welcome to Facebook (satire)
**** WTF What The Freak (polite form)
**** WTF Werewolf: the Forsaken (gaming)
**** WTF Worst to First (Connecticut maternity compaign)
**** WTF Write to File
**** WTF Waking the Fallen (Avenged Sevenfold album)
*** WTF Wow, That's Fantastic (chat slang)
*** WTF What To Fix
*** WTF What's This For?
*** WTF Welcome to Finland
*** WTF Where's the Food?
*** WTF Who the Freak? (polite form)
*** WTF What the French Toast?
*** WTF Words That Follow (online game)
*** WTF Waste Treatment Facility
*** WTF Why The Freak (polite form)
*** WTF Where the Freak (polite form)
*** WTF When The Freak (polite form)
*** WTF Weekly Top Five
*** WTF What the FAQ?
*** WTF Water Task Force
*** WTF Why the Frown?
*** WTF World Trade Federation
*** WTF Where's the Fridge?
*** WTF Where's The Fish?
*** WTF Where's the File (software)
*** WTF Wireless Telecommunications Facility
** WTF What the February
** WTF Witendofi (website)
** WTF Weapons Tactics Force (gaming)
** WTF Wow, That's Fun! (chat slang)
** WTF World Tennis Federation
** WTF Wrestling Takedown Federation (TV episode title; South Park)
** WTF Warcraft Text File (World of Warcraft)
** WTF We the Fools (radio show)
** WTF Weapons Task Force (gaming)
** WTF Wisconsin Test Facility
** WTF Warsaw Transatlantic Forum (Warsaw, Poland)
** WTF Washington Tennis Foundation
** WTF What the Fruitcake
** WTF Watergate Task Force
** WTF Well and Truly Freaked (polite form)
** WTF What's This Foolishness
* WTF Woodson Track and Field (Virginia)
* WTF Windowed Time Facility (Apple)
* WTF Women's Track and Field
* WTF Wild Turkey Federation
* WTF Where's the Fire?
* WTF Went to France
* WTF Wednesday Thursday Friday
* WTF Walk to Freedom (US Army)
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote