Yahoo finance badly confused

Bruceski44

Recycles dryer sheets
LOL! Just logged on to check my portfolio and saw that Yahoo has Amgen down today over 50%, resulting in a 2% loss for my portfolio. I freaked out a little, especially when I couldn't find any news on Yahoo to explain. Looked on some other sites and got the correct close. Yahoo is still showing that, even though AMGN was really up 0.33%.

LOL! Just logged on to check my portfolio and saw that Yahoo has Amgen down today over 50%, resulting in a 2% loss for my portfolio. I freaked out a little, especially when I couldn't find any news on Yahoo to explain. Looked on some other sites and got the correct close. Yahoo is still showing that, even though AMGN was really up 0.33%.

Remember in 2008 when they really did drop 2 %. I was scared to open statements, I would not flip channels on tv out of fear I would see the red arrows on a financial network. .

After 20+ yrs I ditched Yahoo Finance this week. They've completely ruined it.

Quicken downloaded completely wrong stock quotes today causing big drops in a couple of accounts. First time that's ever happened to me. And it was just the stocks I track. The mutual funds were O.K.

Yahoo Finance had the right values.

Last edited:
According to a guy who works in financial software, Yahoo Quotes has long been the go-to place to get securities quotes. But recently they changed their format so all the screen scrapers started getting wrong results. It wasn't too hard to figure out their new format and make adjustments, but they have continued to change the format to make it unusable for screen scrapers again and again so now it's just an ongoing battle.

MSFT was also out of line on yahoo and google finance. Looking at the 1 day charts it looked like a last minute (end of trading) effect. I wonder if this is just the a last second trade or if it is hacking the system.

I noticed this yesterday as well but it looks like the third party sites have all been corrected now.

According to a guy who works in financial software, Yahoo Quotes has long been the go-to place to get securities quotes. But recently they changed their format so all the screen scrapers started getting wrong results. It wasn't too hard to figure out their new format and make adjustments, but they have continued to change the format to make it unusable for screen scrapers again and again so now it's just an ongoing battle.
No doubt because Yahoo wants you to look at the adds, which a screen scraper does not do. Since they live and die on add revenue its not surprising, and will likley get worse with the new ownership.

I've always gone to yahoo to look-up historical quotes. It had been reliable, but lately I've encountered some tickers that don't show the history table (even though the graph shows).

What's the alternative for historical quotes / graphs?

Apparently Amgen is about 4% of your portfolio, which is a considerable amount for any single equity (IMO). Maybe this was fate giving you a bit of a warning/nudge?

Well, I've only got about 10 stocks in my individual portfolio.

Consider this:

• Your 20th best idea likely won't be better than your top-5
  • Keeping up even with 10 companies is already quite time consuming

In my view, if you go far beyond 10 or so, better off to go the full monty and index to the entire market. But to each his own.

I'm surprised anyone still uses Yahoo Finance. They haven't had their act together in years. I moved on a long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom