Yellow Jackets

A bumblebee sting (when I reached under my carseat when I was ~20 yrs old) was my worst. More painful and larger, longer-lasting welt than the honeybee or yellow jacket stings of my childhood--but those stings were mostly on my feet when running barefoot in the yard. The bumblebee sting was on the back of my hand.

Martha said:
I have that picture running through my mind now. . .(Sorry'L)

Greg got stung on the roof of his mouth when motorcycling once. 

I make sure my mouth is closed.  :)  Though once I had some sort of bug get into my helmet and then into my ear.  I almost lost it. 

It's really funny looking, beleive me! That yellowjacket trap Brewer talked about works like a dream for me, too. Only problem is it gets full in no time at all!

Andre1969 said:
Just out of curiosity, is there any one particular bee/wasp that stings worse than another? 

I've never been stung by a bumblebee.  I have been stung by honey bees, yellow jackets, hornets and paper wasps.  The honeybee sting was the least painful.  The yellow jacket and hornet stings were similar in that they caused pain, swelling and later itching as the poison dispersed.  I once was stung by a yellow jacket on my face which caused a semi-allergic type reaction (hotflash and allover body itch) and facial swelling.  It seemed to me that the paper wasp sting was more painful immediately after the sting and shortly thereafter but othwerwise the symptoms subsided more quickly.  If I had my choice, I would rather endure the sting of a honey bee or paper wasp than the others.

This is OT Hellbender, but I once knew a guy called Hellbender, mostly by his wife, and "Helby" by others. Are you by chance a Flathead?

Ha

HaHa said:
This is OT Hellbender, but I once knew a guy called Hellbender, mostly by his wife, and "Helby" by others. Are you by chance a Flathead?

Ha

I hope not. :confused:

SteveR said:
Ding! Ding! Ding!....the correct answer is Sting! Bees do not bite nor do hornets or wasps or yellow jackets or bumble bees. Fire ants bite and sting...at the same time.

Odd. We have a thing here that the locals call "meat bees". Looks like a yellow jacket and is drawn by the yellow jacket lure/traps. If you put a piece of cooked meat outside, they'll swarm and eat it. Only been bitten by one once, and it landed on my arm and I saw it lower its head and bite me...just before it went to the great hive in the sky...

I wonder if that "meat bee" would be what we call a sweat-bee. I think they're called that because they're normally attracted to body sweat, and like to lick it off of you. Normally harmless, but if you swat at them they can bite/sting. The're a bit bigger than a fly, but look more like a bee. Kind of a cute little sucker, actually.

As for bees, I was always under the impression that any bee/wasp CAN bite you. It's just that they normally sting. And their sting is worse than their bite.

Andre1969 said:
. . .As for bees, I was always under the impression that any bee/wasp CAN bite you.  It's just that they normally sting.  And their sting is worse than their bite.
The really vicious ones will kick you and call you names too. :)

Here in Texas, we have yeller jackets...  :p

Had some take up residence in between the beams of my retaining wall. Couple of sprays cans of wasp killer, from about fifteen feet away, seemed to adequately discourage them.

Also had bees build a giant condo in our woodpile one year, and, lo and behold, they took offense when I got too close with the mower. Five stings and some fancy dancin' later...

Took the pile apart that winter; man, they were building bee city in there.

Also, occasionally see those hornets on steroids, about 4" long, that burrow into the ground. Took a nucular weapon to kill those puppies, but they were interfering with my barbecuing...  :bat:

About two years ago I had a hornets nest inside one of the walls of my house. It's an old house, built in 1916, and it's been added onto and patched here and there, so needless to say, it's not the most critter-proof in the world. I was able to get 'em with a can of wasp and hornet spray, right to the opening. I don't know how big the nest was, but I'd say ultimately counted about 30 of their curled up, dead little bodies on the roof outside the opening and in the gutter.

I never did tear the wall apart to find out how big the nest was, and somehow I have a feeling that's going to come back to haunt me one day. That winter though, I got some of that expanding foam stuff and sprayed it in the opening. Nothing ever tore it away, so I guess I'm good there.

Those hornets were pretty creepy, because unlike mere mortal bees, they were night scavengers. On cool nights I liked to leave the windows open, with just the screen in place. They'd occasionally smack themselves against the kitchen window, hard enough to sometimes give you a startle and heart palpitation! There were always a few hanging around the outside light, too. And every once in awhile, one would find its way into the house.

They actually weren't aggressive, and I felt kinda bad killing them. But I also didn't like the idea of sharing a house with them! One night I was away, and my roommate called me, telling me that there was about 50 of the suckers crawling on the outside screen to the kitchen window. They're attracted to light, especially fluorescent light, so it's just that that draws them in, not any innate desire to attack whomever happens to be in the kitchen. Still kinda creepy though. And to be honest, I think my roommate was exaggerating on the number. I'd never seen them do that, and I think he probably embellished it to scare me into doing something about getting rid of the nest. I have to admit I was procrastinating on that little project. :D

Many years ago when my son was 8-10 years old, my sister took him to a fair . He got out of her van and started up a bank and right into a yellow jacket nest. He started screaming and my sister was trying to swat the yellow jackets and some woman yelled at her to quit beating that kid. He was stung numerous times.

I also took him to McDonalds and he was outside playing. I was sitting reading a book. He ran back to get a drink of his pop and started jumping up and down saying that he was stung in the mouth. It had been in his straw and went into his mouth.

I had heard a story, perhaps an old wives tail, that someone had a large wasp nest in one of the walls of their room, went on vacation, and came back to find that they had made their way through the drywall and were now buzzing around the inside of the house.

The first nest I discovered was inside my attic and built right on top of the drywall ceiling near a window. "Whats that buzzing sound...sounds like electricity...?". When I got up to the area of drywall where the nest was, it was soft and had a little 'give' to it and the buzzing got louder when I tapped on it. Going outside to see "whats up in that area" I saw the little angry black cloud.

Moral of the story: dont feel bad about kicking them out of your house.

When I went up in the attic in the winter to pull out the dead nest, it was about 3' long, 1' wide and 8" deep, almost rectangular...and had been built right on top of the drywall, which was a darker color and appeared to have been slightly corroded.

We had a swarm of bees nest in the corner of my house, crawled into the wall through the eave, right on the other side of Tori's crib. Called a service and they handled it, but whatever they sprayed caused a temporary thunderstorm of bee rage inside the house, the noise was deafening! Dropped off quickly, they all seemed to die at once. Then he told us we needed to have half the side of our house ripped off to remove the nest so animals didn't chew into side of the house. I just sealed the hole and took the chance.

Our cabin is located in the woods and the woods sometimes wants to take it back so there are a number of wildlife, plant and insect issues we deal with all the time. One of the initial ones was hornets. They nested under the metal roof sheets and found a way inside the cabin. When we first bought it we did not occupy it for several months. When we arrived we were greeted with hundreds of dead and not so dead hornets that did not wish to give up their new home.

We got into habit of fogging the place every month or so to kill them off in the walls and ceiling (wood strips and not sheetrock) since the roofline was 30+ feet in the air getting there on a ladder with a can of Raid and a thousand pissed off hornets was not my idea of a good time.

We now have them unders some level of control. We still get a few inside from time to time but they are easily dispatched unless you step on one barefoot. :eek:

Now the flies are another issue completely. They get in through the vent holes in the double pane glass as grubs and then hatch out inside the house. Yuck! The only way to control them is to fog periodically. The residue kills them off. Not crazy thinking about living in the residue but we are careful to cover and then clean anything that can be eaten or eaten on.

Our current issue is a family of woodpeckers that have taken up residence in the walls. We have not been able to get to the cabin much this summer so there has been very little human activity which leads to the beasties taking back their chunk of the forest. After the babies fly off we will have it patched and hang some windchimes to deter them next year.

We have our fair share of yellow jackets and I have a number of traps around the place to keep them away from the house...especially at grilling time. They are a hazard if you don't keep your eyes open to the nests. Since summers are short at 8000 ft. they tend to be a bit pissy about getting food and water in a hurry.

Isn't home-owning wonderful?

Ha

HaHa said:
Isn't home-owning wonderful?

Ha

We have been taking a very hard look at just that. With our ER next year we will have less "need" for the cabin and less tolerance for high repair costs and the constant concern about it because is it out of sight much of the time. Our frugal but fun side wants to cash in on the run up in equity...our other side likes living in the woods but that is only possible 9 months of the year at best so living there is not an option.

I was out on my rear deck one day and noticed some insects flying around my ankles. Then I noticed that I was in excruciating pain. Turns out that there was a white-faced hornet nest about the size of a basketball located directly under my deck. I had been walking over top of this thing all Summer. This particular day I must have irritated them.

That evening (well after dark) I crawled under the deck with a flashlight and some wasp spray. I aimed the spray directly into the entrance hole of the nest and then saturated the outside of the nest with it. I then scrambled out from under the deck as quickly as I could. All hell then broke loose. Hornets were flying everywhere, bouncing off off the house, windows, etc. An inspection the following day revealed a few stragglers still entering/leaving the nest so I repeated the treatment that night. This did the trick.

hellbender said:
I was out on my rear deck one day and noticed some insects flying around my ankles.  Then I noticed that I was in excruciating pain.  Turns out that there was a white-faced hornet nest about the size of a basketball located directly under my deck.  I had been walking over top of this thing all Summer.  This particular day I must have irritated them.

What happend was the colony had finally become strong enough to take you on. Hornets are carnivorous predators, but they only go for big meat when they feel strong.  :)

Ha

Boy, you guys are good! I wouldn't want to be a wasp within a mile of your place!  :D

Any advice re: a little ant colony that has adopted my front yard? I keep spraying them with store bought chemicals, but they keep coming back. They have progressed to the outside of my house as of late and that makes me nervous. They don't eat concrete and/or siding for breakfast, do they  :confused:

Scrooge said:
Boy, you guys are good! I wouldn't want to be a wasp within a mile of your place!  :D

Any advice re: a little ant colony that has adopted my front yard? I keep spraying them with store bought chemicals, but they keep coming back. They have progressed to the outside of my house as of late and that makes me nervous. They don't eat concrete and/or siding for breakfast, do they  :confused:

No they don't eat concrete but they can get in your house looking for food, water or a new home. I have a patio with large rock slabs that are surrounded by sand. Ant love this and the only thing I have found is ant bait. I get a bunch of them and put one or two near an active nest and then move it in a few days to a new site. It keeps the colonies down to a very few and is more focused than spraying all the time. It seems more effective (an efficient too) since they go to the bait station, take some bait, drag it to the colony and then feed it to th the rest of the colony. The end result is Jim Jones event.

Carpenter ants are a different story since they eat wood (aka houses). Spraying the sides and especially near ground level once every few weeks will keep them away and will also keep other bugs away from your house too. We have a major spider problem here. The basement is ground zero for these creatures. The best thing I have found for them are glue traps from HD. They smell like peanut butter and that attracts them. They are a bit pricey but for me they are a requirement with young kids in the basement playing down there. They work great and are nontoxic. They do stick like crazy so don't put them where a pet or a kid can get to them or they will be stuck for good.

Thanks! Only the highest quality ant bait for my ants from now on!  :D

Scrooge said:
Thanks! Only the highest quality ant bait for my ants from now on!  :D

Sometimes you just gotta spluge on something. :D

Scrooge said:
Thanks! Only the highest quality ant bait for my ants from now on! :D

We started using the Terro Ant Bait stuff from Lowes. It seems to work pretty well and it's just borax so it relatively safe. The ants need a lot of the stuff to die though and it does get a little pricey. I keep telling myself that I'll make my own borax based ant bait but haven't gotten around to it!

Back
Top Bottom