Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Yellowstone Park Bison
Old 01-24-2023, 08:34 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yellowstone Park Bison

With very early heavy snowfall in the park Bison are migrating out in record numbers. The bison have always been an interesting subject for me. They truly are an amazing animal with deep history of our country.

https://www.livingstonenterprise.com...d8ff31fae.html

https://youtu.be/CNktgfZRjlU
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2023, 09:04 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

In general hunting is necessary to keep some animals from starving. I have no problem with it as long as the meat is eaten and not thrown away. When my kids were little my husband hunted deer and he was a careful hunter only taking practically guaranteed shots and if wounding tracking all day to finish the job. He grew up in a hunting family as did I. I couldn’t ever hunt as I have too much love for animals.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:06 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yes, we saw many bison during our recent visit to Cutler State Park in South Dakota. Some up close. DW was mesmerized by them One was on the opposite side of the road on the edge of the road, so 20' or so when I passed by slowly in my truck. Saw video of the annual roundup that they do to cull the herd. Very interesting.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:07 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

That article is fascinating in particularly the arrangements with all the tribal nations hunters.

Also I thought it was interesting that there are 12 documented cases of brucellosis spread to livestock from elk, but none from bison.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:09 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thank you for the links, magnificent animals.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:24 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

This brought back one of my best vacation memories with my daugher about 12 years old at the time, being surrounded in our car on all side by bison with lots of calves in early Spring for quite awhile. We had another close encounter on that trip with a lone bison grazing just off a trail. I would turn back now, but we decided to just walk by calmly - and that thing snorted loudly just as we passed and we sprinted. Yellowstone.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:29 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, a herd surrounded our car once in Grand Teton NP as they walked and we really got the big eye looking the window several times!

Seen loads of them over the years, mostly Wyoming, but other states too including a cool group at a US 290 rest stop between Johnson City and Fredericksburg TX: Lyndon B. Johnson State Park & Historic Site in Stonewall TX. They also have some beautiful longhorns there.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:35 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

the video is wonderful--such massive, beautiful creatures!
Old 01-24-2023, 09:58 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

When we went to Yellowstone with our motor home a bison started charging it and I was following in a rental car. Luckily my husband stopped and the bison lost interest. They are magnificent animals!
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:07 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When we went to Yellowstone with our motor home a bison started charging it and I was following in a rental car. Luckily my husband stopped and the bison lost interest. They are magnificent animals!
I was driving a bright red car in Yellowstone and a huge lone bison was crossing a bridge ahead of me and walking towards me right down the center of the road. I decided to pull over and wait. A car came up behind him. The bison simply ambled over to the side of the road to let that car pass, ha ha.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:23 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Brought back an old memory for me. I went to Yellowstone 60 years ago, and it was different. The bears were all over the roads, and campgrounds, bison were rare. We saw one during our 3 day stay. My father mentioned it to a park ranger who was very curious to where and when we saw the lone bison.

Great success story, but stay away they're not cute or cuddly.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:25 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a similar huge animals surrounding car experience on a dark night in Olympic National Park with a herd of Roosevelt elk - it took a second to figure out what was going on - car suddenly surrounded by large dark bodies. There's actually a number of these huge elk in the Snoqualmie Valley, just outside of Seattle and commonly seen in the pastures. The one time I encountered them close to the road they waited for me to drive by - I stopped, and they crossed in front of me, the male letting the ladies go first.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:28 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We did a Yellowstone in Winter tour, and the animals were smart enough to use the road instead of trekking through the snow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7124.jpg (798.6 KB, 24 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:48 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Wow - thanks for posting! Hard to imagine a semi truck killing 13 bison in one wreck. That truck must have been a mess after that.

Awesome video - I wish I was there with the photographer who shot it.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:38 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Wow - thanks for posting! Hard to imagine a semi truck killing 13 bison in one wreck. That truck must have been a mess after that.

Awesome video - I wish I was there with the photographer who shot it.
I still have the Bison photo you posted here some years back. That was a great bison photo and I have it in my sitting room. I did get permission from you at the time to be able to share that beautiful photo. Thank You.

The bison are a spectacular magical animal to watch. I have seen them give birth and when that event takes place other bison gather around and show their joy for the new member of the herd. An amazing nature thing to witness.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:16 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I still have the Bison photo you posted here some years back. That was a great bison photo and I have it in my sitting room. I did get permission from you at the time to be able to share that beautiful photo. Thank You.
You're welcome. Glad you like it. I'm going back for more pics if the weather gets nasty. This time I won't be leaning against the fence tempting an attack.

Quote:
The bison are a spectacular magical animal to watch. I have seen them give birth and when that event takes place other bison gather around and show their joy for the new member of the herd. An amazing nature thing to witness.
Didn't know that about giving birth. That would be amazing to witness.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:26 PM   #17

When we arrived at the Lake hotel, there was a biggie camped outside just 30 feet from the entrance:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3894.jpg (727.9 KB, 16 views)
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 05:30 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
When we arrived at the Lake hotel, there was a biggie camped outside just 30 feet from the entrance:
That is awesome. Thanks
Old 01-24-2023, 05:33 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Ronstar, if you get some more picture, please share them with us. I would love to see more Bison picture.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:38 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ronstar, if you get some more picture, please share them with us. I would love to see more Bison picture.
Will do!