Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Yengling induced over celebration (NFL - Eagles win)
Old 01-22-2018, 04:24 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yengling induced over celebration (NFL - Eagles win)

Yeah the Eagles won last night in a blowout. Yes I enjoyed the game Although dare I say it -I did some channel surfing by the fourth quarter. My upscale suburban neighborhood is about 30 miles from downtown Philly.

The explosions (m80s, Cherry bombs) started right after the game was over and continued for quite a while. Then the drive bys with horns blaring. I was thinking Yengling (the Budweiser of Philly) induced over celebration. (Me -I’m on a mission -lay of the sauce, drink lots of water beware of sugar... the blood test in 4 weeks are like infallible lie detectors. Mine was a subtle celebration - we had a nice roast with vegetables).

I was a giant fan when the likes of Phil Simms and Lawrence Taylor roamed Giant Stadium. I know the feeling when you root for team for years and then magic finally happens. I don’t remember using fireworks or leaning on my car horn though. But then as my wife always reminds me -I was born old.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2018, 04:34 AM   #2
Administrator

There’s an NFL thread underway here http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-88004-10.html
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:51 AM   #3

Looking for the Yuengling Beer thread.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:38 AM   #4

Looking for Yuengling Beer!
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:51 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm surprised you didn't hear 'dilly dilly' cheers. I thought that was the trending way to chant in approval.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Around here, you don't order Yuengling, you just order Lager. Tasty and cheap. America's oldest brewery. Also the largest independant/craft brewery!
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:15 AM   #7

I stopped drinking beer around age 40 because it started disagreeing with me (massive headaches, bloating)

But I used to love me some Yuengling. Probably the best of the large American beer makers in my opinion.

A friend had a cabin near the village of Central City, PA, just south of Johnstown. We used to buy Yuengling by the case from a beer store run out of the back of a gas station. They just had the cases sitting on a dirt floor in the back room.

Only other place I've ever run into it was down South. I figured they probably stocked it for the snowbirds.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:15 AM   #8

Lived in Lowhill Township, and wet my whistle on Black & Tan.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Only other place I've ever run into it was down South. I figured they probably stocked it for the snowbirds.
Yuengling started brewing in an old Stroh's brewery in Tampa in 1999. They now have three breweries - the old one in Pottsville (with tours), a new industrial-sized one in Mill Creek, PA (closed to the public), and Tampa.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #10

Was having a Yuengling while watch the game myself. Maybe that's what jinxed the Vikings.

One of the Last real lager beer in America without venturing into the micro brew prices.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
I stopped drinking beer around age 40 because it started disagreeing with me (massive headaches, bloating)

But I used to love me some Yuengling. Probably the best of the large American beer makers in my opinion.

A friend had a cabin near the village of Central City, PA, just south of Johnstown. We used to buy Yuengling by the case from a beer store run out of the back of a gas station. They just had the cases sitting on a dirt floor in the back room.

In my opinion, it is the variety of beer yeast that creates the different compounds that are causing your headache. Just about every major brewer uses their own "personal" yeast that works with their local water and grains, to keep a consistent product. Budwei$er, who prides itself on it's yeast strain, gives me a splitting headache. But other brands, and my own brews, do not cause the same issues. Although originally I blamed their beechwood chips, but I met a former Budwei$er brewmaster who set me straight.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
In my opinion, it is the variety of beer yeast that creates the different compounds that are causing your headache. Just about every major brewer uses their own "personal" yeast that works with their local water and grains, to keep a consistent product. Budwei$er, who prides itself on it's yeast strain, gives me a splitting headache. But other brands, and my own brews, cause the same issues. Although originally I blamed their beechwood chips, but I met a former Budwei$er brewmaster who set me straight.
Interesting, thanks. Makes me wonder about the different brewers...

The only beer I have seriously quaffed in a while was a couple years ago when a friend and I toured the Heineken brewery in Amsterdam. We got lumped in with a large Chinese tour group and you had to answer trivia questions in English. The prizes ? 250ml glasses of fresh Heineken. Doesn't sound like a lot but when you get all the answers right on an hour long tour... we had litres each..

It didn't give me headaches but did produce a reaction in the opposite direction... I figured it was just because I was out of practice.

Nowadays at home, I stick with the brown spirits (obviously). Never a hangover, never even a bad stomach. And I am quite an enthusiast....
Old 01-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #13

^I had to edit above. Other brands than Bud and my own, do NOT give me a headache.

However, as an aside, unless beer or wine is sterile filtered, it still has yeast cells that may be dormant, that may "come around" in warm places like your gut. Mix it with some great complex sugars that were broken down to simple sugars, and now you have a great "food" for those little critters. After all, it is a probiotic and you would be "hip" in the diet scene. You need to practice more.....