Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2023, 09:00 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At 63, your co worker probably already expects that you will be retiring sometime in the near future. It is nice that you are considering their work load, but definitely not necessary. No matter how much lead time you give, they may not hire someone until after you leave or re configure teams to distribute the work anyway.

My team knew a year in advance, but formal notice to HR was 3 months due to pension requirements. Even so, my replacement was not hired until after I was gone.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2023, 11:45 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I agonized about this exact same issue. Was going to give 3 months, but ended up giving 2 weeks. As an employee, no matter what you think, it’s a financial arrangement: you give them your time and expertise, they give you money (salary, healthcare, other benefits).

The company will be fine. Your coworkers will be fine. Don’t drag it out.
Unpaintedhuffhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:38 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Assuming no contract that specifies the process …

There is not a right or wrong way.

Most companies do not use the extra time to better prepare transition.

Most employees leaving do not enjoy the extended time given.

So - most people here recommend just industry standard (2 weeks).

The best way to really think about it - when the company makes a decision to down size department and/or radically change process - it is rare to give affected employees significant notice, train people ahead of time, etc.

Companies already set the precedent and expectation of timing.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:15 PM   #24

Unless you are required by contract, or benefits are tied to your notice, I would get all ducks in order, be prepared to be "locked out", and give two weeks notice.

No I was never locked out; but the time between giving notice and leaving was not pleasant.

I was not replaced before I left (and I worked like a dog to the last minute to leave everything in good shape), rather, the respective employers followed their normal procedures which was to wait for bombs to be exploding all over the place to even start looking for a replacement.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:50 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I gave 6+ months notice. They filled my job the week after I left. I'll just assume they didn't want me teaching my replacement all my bad habits.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:29 PM   #26

My employer will not hire until after retiree has left. No budget for extras.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:11 AM   #27

My first employer after college, way back in 1984, had an employee handbook that stated that 4 weeks notice was expected. Nobody followed that, including me after I discovered that the job I had wasn't the job I expected. I left after 6 months. The company was a megacorp with more than 100K employees worldwide.

Fast forward to now. I gave notice almost exactly a year ago. Told the new boss (a great guy, BTW) that I'm retiring but that I'd stay long enough to find and train my replacement. Finding the replacement took longer than expected but he was on board by the end of last year. I specifically requested to extend my time into this year in order to get Q1 RSU's, ESPP and annual corporate bonus. Request was accepted up through executive staff. Seems I'm now departing sometime in April.

Relationships matter more than employee handbooks.

Cheers
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:27 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Why retire prematurely from a remote job?

2-4 weeks notice makes sense to me.

I gave 60 days notice, and the company did nothing, always using the gov't customer as an excuse.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:32 AM   #29

I would double check with your HR dept, workers handbook or contract...
My former employer required minimum 2 week notice if you wanted any of your benefits, 30 days if you were a supervisor or dept head. BUT... For retirement purposes, you had to submit your application between 90 and 120 days before your retirement date.
And that application didn't meet the resignation notification required...
My director actually had nearly 2 years notice that I was planning on leaving. They talked me into OMY, with a raise as a supervisor.
They threw me a retirement party the weekend before I submitted my application for retirement.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:13 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I think notice time can vary and should depending on where and who the company is. Not all companies are going to treat you like an outcast because you are retiring. I think everyone knows and have a good feel for the management response or character of that company.

I gave 1 year mostly because a new manager just started and there was going to be a lot of changes within the organization. When I told him he said, he was glad that I gave him that long of notice so he could rearrange around that decision.

I was still in charge and was never thrown under the bus ever one time, in that last year.

My replacement was inhouse and I had been training him for a couple of years and we worked well together. He took off running from the start.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:19 AM   #31
Administrator

MC Rider is correct. You can give them as much notice as you feel is appropriate, but you should also be prepared to be terminated immediately when you do. Especially if you have access to sensitive information/systems.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:16 PM   #32

I was "given notice" aka laid off rather than getting to do it myself but I can say it is increasingly miserable to be here at work. Don't do it to yourself.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 09:29 PM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

I work public sector and gave the head honcho a 30-day notice, beyond the required 2-week notice. Our hiring process, testing, interview, and back ground take months and months. 30-Day notice is plenty for you. They'll live.
Good2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 06:29 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

After 35+ years, and total mismanagement regarding COVID-19, I decided to go on my terms.

I gave 7 weeks notice, and gave them the 8.000 hours I owed them until the end.

If they decided to walk me, I’d only have to pick up one month of medical premiums.

My boss was surprised, which meant my attitude wasn’t as bad as I thought.

15 months later, no one was hired to do my manager’s job.

Fortunately my reports can hold their own, and know not to burn themselves out.

The churn continues, and I get to do whatever I want now 😀

I have no regrets.
a60dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 07:27 PM   #35

I just looked at my resignation letter. I'd given about two months. It all went very smoothly. Everyone knew I was thinking about retiring, and a lot of people who had been there about as long as I had were also doing so, so it wasn't a shock.

Two weeks would have been pretty harsh. My biggest reason for not giving even more notice was that I waited until the bonus amounts had been finalized. No sense being the one guy they could easily cut back on.

Unless there's some friction there already, I don't see any reason not to give as much notice as you can.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 04:10 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a mid level manager. I understand any employee may leave anytime, for what ever reason. So, I prepare for it. Employees who quit gave me two weeks notice. Two weeks notice is fine with me. I think all managers have to prepare for it.
freedom2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 07:03 AM   #37

DW needs to give 30 days to get all her PTO . She will not give a moment's more notice.
The timing will be after an annual contribution to her 403b in all likelihood.
As noted above, virtually no employer uses the extra time given to do what you would think is right for the rest of your crew, so don't bother.
It is like they gather up all the stupid things they have done over the years and wrap a ribbon on it as you sail out the door.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:29 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I gave 90 days notice and my manager gave me a lot of extra work he wanted to get done before I retired. I did get it all done but it was not pleasant. I would NOT give more than 2 weeks. The people that posted about no good deed going unpunished are spot on. They also did absolutely nothing to replace me. You could give your coworker a heads up that you are thinking about retiring, but be vague about dates.
KarenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:12 AM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

After reading the opinions here, I was almost spooked into giving minimal notice.

But, I had great relationships with my leadership and throughout the company. They knew the value I brought (many millions of $ spelled out in every annual review), plus one manager who connected me with the FI movement years ago, in a company that constantly focused on culture.

I ended up starting conversations about 2 months out, and that turned out great. Everyone was very supportive, and multiple leaders in the company have continued to reach out letting me know I'd be welcomed back if I ever decided to unretire.

I can absolutely understand many companies behaving differently (badly), but I'm just throwing it out there that every situation is unique.
Finally FI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:00 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2Go View Post
I work public sector and gave the head honcho a 30-day notice, beyond the required 2-week notice. Our hiring process, testing, interview, and back ground take months and months. 30-Day notice is plenty for you. They'll live.
Quote:
"the required 2-week notice" ...

"Our hiring process, testing, interview, and back ground take months and months. "
That mismatch tells me all I need to know!

Sounds like the organization doesn't really care that it takes months and months, or they'd have added an X months long notice requirement to your contract. So why should I care, I'm leaving?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote