Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2010, 01:56 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I get the annual reminder to complete my mandatory 2 hours diversity training.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2010, 04:58 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Yes, makes for wonderful parties! Greek food, Belgian beer, French wine, Spanish ladies getting the dance floor going, etc.
Hey, what do you mean with that "Spanish ladies getting the dance floor going" thing?
Old 06-16-2010, 05:52 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenst View Post
Perfect. I guarantee that the stakeholders reached out and addressed the issue as a collaborative opportunity. Translation: Assigned the problem to someone else.

Steve
Unfortunately, this is more likely a situation that will cleave to the "no good deed goes unpunished" adage. There is almost no way short of quitting that I will get out of having to help on this one. Damn my professionalism and work ethic...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:55 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
When I get the annual reminder to complete my mandatory 2 hours diversity training.
Oh, yes, mandatory training. Let's see, in the past year I was sent to a two day class on how to write (I have been a published author of business pieces for years) and a week of basic credit training (I have been a credit analyst for over a decade). In the next year, I expect to be sent to a course on how to have meetings with management teams (I have been grilling C-level execs for years as a rating agency analyst, buy side analyst, etc.).

- George Orwell

Old 06-16-2010, 06:11 AM   #25

...when the CEO talks about building loyalty and employee retention, after there have been 5 CEOs in 8 years...

R
Old 06-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscyn View Post
diversity training.
Bingo!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #27

When the trainer and two students travel overnight from Dallas to Atlanta for a little 4 hour internal training session, and the class has a total of three students, one from Atlanta.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
you see the word 'deleveraging' in an email.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #29

I feel compelled to remind US corporations that theiy are to blame for diseminating/exporting all this HR nonsense all over us, bakward nation in corporate business that we are!
Old 06-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
I feel compelled to remind US corporations that theiy are to blame for diseminating/exporting all this HR nonsense all over us, bakward nation in corporate business that we are!
It's a disease that respects no borders.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It's a disease that respects no borders.
I.e. outside the box...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

- when you see a response to your request for service that says: "Our SLA for completing this type of request is 5 days. Our average time for completing this type of request is 8.79 days"

- when you read a status report that explains that the project is behind schedule due to a "leak in productivity"....and nobody thinks that is odd.

- when you have a problem with another department, you have to contact a Relationship Manager, who then brings in an Incident Manager, who will turn it over to a Problem Manager if it goes on for more than 24 hours.

And that was just in the last 2 hours of my day
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Unfortunately, this is more likely a situation that will cleave to the "no good deed goes unpunished" adage. There is almost no way short of quitting that I will get out of having to help on this one. Damn my professionalism and work ethic...
I see. So the stakeholders will be reaching out to.... you. My condolences. One a related note, 'reach out' is one of my favorite recent corporate-speaks. I guess that's because I most often hear 'I'm reaching out to you.....' which means I'm about to be asked to do someone else's job.

Steve
stevenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm pretty sure there are at least 3 new Dilbert cartoons in this thread. Someone should alert Scott Adams
stevenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

You have pens, mugs, coasters, caps, shirts, jackets, umbrellas, tote bags and clocks touting the company logo....

...and no I didn't steal them. They were 'awards'.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:31 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another one from me - When there is a public holiday in my country, I have to set an Out of Office note stating that "Today is a public holiday in ....".
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:36 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

When the reward for winning a company contest is to meet Mr. Bigshot and shake his hand.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:40 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenst View Post
I see. So the stakeholders will be reaching out to.... you. My condolences. One a related note, 'reach out' is one of my favorite recent corporate-speaks. I guess that's because I most often hear 'I'm reaching out to you.....' which means I'm about to be asked to do someone else's job.

Steve
Well, the same superior who sent that wonderful glob of corpspeak recently read something that worried him (I read the same thing and concluded it was a rounding error magnitude issue). He asked me to set up a meeting with the authors of what he read and include him. Lo and behold, he was busy at the time of the meeting, so I found myself conducting a meeting with people I thought were idiot alarmists about an "issue" I thought wasn't one.

Heard another one yesterday: "risk stripes.". I had to ask what it meant. It refers to the various types of financial risk: credit risk, interest rate risk, etc.

Summoned to go "kiss the ring" of our VP at a different location today. Rooty-toot.

- George Orwell

Old 06-17-2010, 06:52 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

When you have Corporate, Regional and Divisional "Director's of Compensation" yet everyone in the company gets the same 2% Merit increase.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
You have pens, mugs, coasters, caps, shirts, jackets, umbrellas, tote bags and clocks touting the company logo....

...and no I didn't steal them. They were 'awards'.
We once received (I'm talking the entire corporation) a "cell foam"; i.e. a facsimile mobile phone made from "foam". Went straight from my mail slot to the trash can...

Wonder how much of my nonexistent raise went to pay for that useless POS...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote