Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh, yes, performance reviews. The latest flavor of the month is "360 evaluations" where people get evaluated by their inferiors reports as well as peers and bosses. So far they have been smart enough to keep this to the highest echelons, but if they ever dump middle management (uniformly dreadful) in this stew i cannot wait to see the comments...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Oh, yes, performance reviews. The latest flavor of the month is "360 evaluations" where people get evaluated by their inferiors reports as well as peers and bosses. So far they have been smart enough to keep this to the highest echelons, but if they ever dump middle management (uniformly dreadful) in this stew i cannot wait to see the comments...
DW's company tried 360s to evaluate everyone in the company. They gave up on 360s after only 1 year.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

My former company tried these 360s, or "upward evaluations" if you will, about 15 years ago. No one trusted them to be confidential or something that wouldn't be used in retaliation against them if they were honest about bad managers, so they scrapped it as a useless exercise.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The day I reported to work in Geneva (transferred from Texas with a whopping three months of after-work French lessons under my belt) they handed me the forms for the annual performance review for an engineer who would be working for me. He spoke about as much English as I did French. The day I met him we also did his performance review. What the hell, I told him what happened, we agreed that it was crazy, and he did sort of a self-evaluation.

To this day I wonder if that was some kind of test. One that I failed. Maybe they wanted me to stand my ground and just refuse to do it. I did object, but they seemed serious.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
Made all the better when you are then told to do a "self-assessment", so they can then copy it into your performance review.

Also - "manage up". I have to manage all the people below me and now I have to manage all the people above me too? I must have missed that bulletin.

(As you can tell this is fast becoming my favorite thread - a great way to reduce stress after another "beat your head against the wall" day. )
Holy sh!t, you too?

@ Achiever51 -

Tell me you are joking
Old 06-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

For a few years in the 1990s, my division experimented with 360-reviews. The 360-part of the review was a one-page form (not part of the overall evaluation but an addendum) with some questions and mostly multiple-choice questions and some free-response questions. The answers, if written in longhand, were typed by an independent third party to protect anonymity. Someone could complete the optional form for as many people as s/he reported to for projects.

I filled it out a few times for my superiors. A few of those who worked for me filled them out. I thought the idea was pretty good, being at both ends of the forms.

Despite these safeguards, it was abandoned after a few years.

And........even though I have not worked in 18 months, I like this thread, too!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #67
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
When they bring in a (non-IT) PhD to organize things and her first suggestion is to urge all the programmer cube rats to buy coffee mugs that say "Software Factory" and have a picture of a factory belching fumes.
(did not buy)
Old 06-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
...However they are read. When I went up for promotion and tenure they typed up every single student comment from a whole semester of courses. The whole committee read them , and I was later told, added their own commentary.
Wow
Now there's a bunch of people with time on their hands!
Old 06-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
...the CEO convinces the Board of Directors that the corporate headquarters staff --approx. 400 employees, plus families -- should be relocated to New York from metro Detroit.

Why? Because said CEO's new trophy wife loves New York and refuses to move to the Midwest!

Fortunately, the CEO's marriage fell apart before the plan could be implemented.
Or, a Canadian corporation with three major US offices (left over after M&A) should be relocated to "the best" central site. Committee formed and decides the CEO's home town is the "best fit".
Old 06-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Or, a Canadian corporation with three major US offices (left over after M&A) should be relocated to "the best" central site. Committee formed and decides the CEO's home town is the "best fit".
At the Megacorp where I toiled many years ago, we had an entire dept just for the purpose of buying and selling operating locations/offices/mfg facilities. As a Megacorp, reorgs were a regular event. The dept head of our Real Estate group and I were in the same "refreshment" facility one evening and I asked him what his approach would be for locating our newest regional office. He confirmed the identity of the new Regional VP and that he still had his boat. His answer was that it would either be within a half hour of his home or his boat. And it was!
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:11 AM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
For a few years in the 1990s, my division experimented with 360-reviews. The 360-part of the review was a one-page form (not part of the overall evaluation but an addendum) with some questions and mostly multiple-choice questions and some free-response questions. The answers, if written in longhand, were typed by an independent third party to protect anonymity. Someone could complete the optional form for as many people as s/he reported to for projects.

I filled it out a few times for my superiors. A few of those who worked for me filled them out. I thought the idea was pretty good, being at both ends of the forms.

Despite these safeguards, it was abandoned after a few years.

And........even though I have not worked in 18 months, I like this thread, too!
360 reviews, oh how I dislike that. If I have to name a few reasons why I am retiring early, 360 will be one of them.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Wow
Now there's a bunch of people with time on their hands!
That sums up most tenured faculty positions that teach 4-6 hours a week.
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:45 AM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
That sums up most tenured faculty positions that teach 4-6 hours a week.
OFGS

How many minutes does a professional football quarterback actually play per year ?

In many jobs you only "see" a very small part of the job.
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Not to dredge up an old thread, but this is classic MegaCorp stuff:

We get a directive from our VP to scrap the detailed, narrative, useful, descriptive doc we do every year and replace it with a useless, incomprehensible, color-coded spreadsheet (which I have to fill out). The instructions on how to fill out the sheets are what appear to be a barely intelligible draft. I called and emailed one person for guidance (on vacation). Then I emailed a department that is supposed to be entirely focused on this sort of thing. They have never heard of it. Two days later someone up their chain of command acknowledges the existence of the sheet and I am now still getting copied on Keystone Kops-style exchanges. Meanwhile, I have given up on getting usable guidance and have started doing my best, since the submission deadline is approaching...

Man am I beginning to truly hate this place.

- George Orwell

Old 07-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #75

Screw the deadline. Do what I did: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post910864
Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We get a directive from our VP to scrap the detailed, narrative, useful, descriptive doc we do every year and replace it with a useless, incomprehensible, color-coded spreadsheet (which I have to fill out). The instructions on how to fill out the sheets are what appear to be a barely intelligible draft. I called and emailed one person for guidance (on vacation). Then I emailed a department that is supposed to be entirely focused on this sort of thing. They have never heard of it. Two days later someone up their chain of command acknowledges the existence of the sheet and I am now still getting copied on Keystone Kops-style exchanges. Meanwhile, I have given up on getting usable guidance and have started doing my best, since the submission deadline is approaching...
Ah, yeah, about that deadline... Wally has a pretty good plan.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Sounds suspiciously like TPS reports Brew....
Old 07-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Sounds suspiciously like TPS reports Brew....
TPS reports seem to be at least 90% of my daily routine these days. The only deviation is when I stick my hand in to find stuff out, and then my reports of what I heard are mostly ignored.

- George Orwell

Old 07-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #79

Quote:
A literal quote from an email I got yesterday:

"Thank you for surfacing this issue and forwarding it to the appropriate stakeholders."
Give them a break. They have been holding their stakes for a long time.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote