You Neighborhood Walk Score

Gumby

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
For those thinking of making a move post retirement, here is an interesting website that calculates the Walk Score of any neighborhood.

Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

The Walk Score is a measure of how close certain amenities are and therefore how possible it is to live there without resorting to your car for transportation. In the interests of maintaining your health, and in light of the ever rising price of gas, it is an important consideration.

It says my current neighborhood is a 72. What is yours?

For those thinking of making a move post retirement, here is an interesting website that calculates the Walk Score of any neighborhood.

Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

The Walk Score is a measure of how close certain amenities are and therefore how possible it is to live there without resorting to your car for transportation. In the interests of maintaining your health, and in light of the ever rising price of gas, it is an important consideration.

Not very well refined.

It gives me several close businesses, but they are in a mall across a 6 lane highway and a creek.

Thats really cool. I'm a 28! I better start thinking of moving closer in.

40 which is probably optimistic cause I live 1000' above most of the shopping areas. Several of the close business actually are in the valley below and would require a hike through a rainforest to get to.

On the other hand several of the apartment complexes on the main street at the bottom of the hill have great 80+ walk scores and I think it is realistic that you could get by without a car. Especially since the bus system in Honolulu is quite good.

Last edited:
I got 12/100, but they said that the nearest market is 2.5 miles away, when it's actually 8.

Current house is 43; new house is 20. But, the distances are way off as they are miles further than indicated on their map.

Our old apartment in NYC got an 86 -- I pretty much agree with that. Our life was very walkable when we lived there.

My childhood home gets 17, which is higher than it should be. It is in a rural area, but a large suburban development went up within about a mile. There are amenities there (stores, schools, library, etc) that are within walkable distance, but only if you climb over fences and sneak through people's backyards. I don't think I'd be doing that on a daily basis... But now I see that they rate things in ranges, and anything under 25 is "driving only", so I guess that is about right.

Doesnt' work for Beijing...

lhamo

"The address you entered could not be found. Please check your address and try again."

Well, the mail carrier couldn't find you either... :p

My score was 22. Crappy for walking, but a good candidate for a plug-in or [-]SUV hood ornament[/-] motorcycle. Walmart, Target, Sam's, Costco, Lowes, and Starbucks all within two miles...

I returned from a couple of weeks in the burbsville of North Texas today. There are a lot of good things to be said about D, but walking around is really not one of them.

We visited Highland Park Village, which for me is a must see when I am down there. Absolutely beautiful spot. It may be that right around there might lend itself to a walking lifestyle. But reasonably good rapic transit is also a big part of the equation. While you might be able to walk to most everything you need, many of us have enough desire for variety that we want handy access to things outside the immediate neighborhood also.

Overall though, it felt so good to arrive at SeaTac, catch a city bus downtown (for a quarter!) and put my pack on my back and walk up the hill to home.

Felt good to see all the folks with hardware dangling from their bodies, trannies getting dolled up for Saturday night, etc. And I had my first coffee that made it worthwhile to sit down since I left home...

It was even sunny today!

Ha

Last edited:
37. I live in a nice area so its fairly safe. Quite frequently I walk for my dinner. Pick up a few things and cook it :)

Downfall of it you are stacked right up on your neighbors.

Thanks for posting this, I had not seen it. My next move is going to be a high score location. My current location scores a 0, beat that!!!

Felt good to see all the folks with hardware dangling from their bodies, trannies getting dolled up for Saturday night, etc. And I had my first coffee that made it worthwhile to sit down since I left home...

It was even sunny today!

Ha

Rec7's Cavalier needs a new tranny...

Score 11, Most places they deem important, are 2, 3 miles. Suits us just fine.

Walk Score:
progress-spacer.gif
85 out of 100

and it didn't even notice i can take the bike to the beach.

where i'm considering downsizing to: 62 out of 100

but the beach is just a two block walk away.

85 of 100. Listed a couple of places I didn't know existed.

I've been walking the dog around here for 4 years now. Great place to live, bus line is 2 blocks away and the city funds a freebie bus around the business district.

-- Rita

85 of 100. Listed a couple of places I didn't know existed.

I've been walking the dog around here for 4 years now. Great place to live, bus line is 2 blocks away and the city funds a freebie bus around the business district.

-- Rita

OK Mystery Woman, where is this?

Ha

About 16 miles east of you -- in downtown Issaquah.
:2funny:

haha-thanks. Downtown Issaquah is very attractive. Good fast express bus service right into Downtown Bellevue or Seattle too.

Ha

Thanks for posting this, I had not seen it. My next move is going to be a high score location. My current location scores a 0, beat that!!!
You musta been my neighbor when we were in CT. We were about 5 miles from nowhere. I ran the address and it came up 0 also. We were 30 minutes @ 60mph from the nearest mall.

Back
Top Bottom