Join Early Retirement Today

Your Bing/Google Results
Old 12-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Your Bing/Google Results

Have you done a Web and/or image search on Bing or Google, or whatever Internet search engine, of your name lately?

I did, just now. Thankfully, despite all the "business" I do on the Web--such as posting on forums such as this and lots of other stuff--I am just about nowhere to be found, unless you know where to look.

While there are indeed Web pages that do accurately name me (but those "name" results usually lead to people sharing my name but not actually me), so far there are no images of me on the Internet. (Well, OK, there are a couple. But, again, you have to know where to look.)

What about you?
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #2

Hmmm...7 of the top 10 results were obituaries. Thankfully, none were mine.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #3

6 years ago when I left Los Angeles for the Bay Area, one of the radio stations in LA invited me on for a 1 hour interview/guest stint. A quick Google search revealed that the archived audio for the show is still on their website. It was quite funny to find this reminder of my life before I began spending my days in pajamas hanging around with my cats - almost feels like another world!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Haven't googled myself for years. I found nothing to speak of on me but an image of one of my brother's gravestone came up as well as an image of my other brother's obituary (rootsweb.ancestry.com).

Edit: Digging to the second page of Google results I did find a 2006 NY Times article where I was quoted. My 15 minutes of fame...
Old 12-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Due to my former job, a few results come up when googling my name. Additionally, my (real) last name is a common English word, so in between the real results about me, there are some hilarious things that come up. All in all, I don't care a bit! None of the results bother me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Hmmm...7 of the top 10 results were obituaries. Thankfully, none were mine.
That would bother me if I saw a lot of obituaries! Luckily, I don't.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My full name is very uncommon possibly unique, so I got a fair number of hits since I've been on internet since before the beginning. But nothing too scandalous.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'm easy to find via search since I speak at conferences whose proceedings are published on the web, write technical papers, and am on LinkedIn. But mostly good things have occurred (e.g. recruiters contacting me, folks wanting me to speak at conferences, or having questions on/getting compliments about items I have published).
Old 12-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If I google my name I see results from my professional work life, entries for family companies and employers that I was an officer of, a few community activity entries, etc. Nothing scandalous. Interesting that I could only find one image.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Both DW and I have actors , musicians that stole our names. So lots of hits, but none of us. So sad to be anomous.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #10

My name is too common for my specific links to come up as top hits. If I add a key word from w*rk I can get a few pages of links related to me. I noticed that there are few images that are not longer showing. I guess they have retired those servers. I guess your digital footprint doesn't necessarily live forever on the internet.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I came up as a business. Amazing how many directories and Angie list type of sites are out there. Didn't realize how many jobs I created. lol
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #12

My last name is not common but apparently there are many people that do have it. So with my first name yeah there are a lot of hits but none are for me. I'll tell you a secret - I really don't exist I am a bot. One link had photos, I wish I looked as good as that guy!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Google currently has 572 references and two images of me. They seem to be all career related.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Nothing exciting in my search. Only thing that is mildly interesting is being listed as a winner in homebrew contests years ago. Google images shows pictures of rescue beagles.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #15

I also have an uncommon last name. I am usually the only one in a thick phone book.
Nothing came up on my vanity search for me, but I did find a Dentist with my exact name not too far from here. Would'nt that be fun?
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Your Bing/Google Results
Old 12-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Your Bing/Google Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Have you done a Web and/or image search on Bing or Google, or whatever Internet search engine, of your name lately?

What about you?

My name is not so common, so a search of my name yields top hits on google search (50k+ hits) top return for the categories; web, pics, books, patents, scholarly articles, videos, word orgins, etc.

My first email address was in 1981, I own my name ******.com, so I expect my digital life will out live me.
I also ruled out hiding from the NSA. -
TOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #17
Administrator

I didn't even find me on Facebook (a couple of others with the same name but I wasn't listed).

It did have my profile on LinkedIn. Anyone know how to delete or cancel a LinkedIn account?

ETA
I found out how to do this and have canceled my LinkedIn account.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #18

I found some obituaries, but fortunately they were for the wrong guy. Didn't see much else but it's a common name anyway.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #19
Administrator

Since the last time I did this quite a few more links and images come up, but almost all are in Great Britain or Ireland, with a couple from Down Under. Lots of rugby and football links.

There are a few links and pics from Japan, and but they all look just like my son. By coincidence, he lives in Japan.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #20

I have an unusual surname. When I searched Google images for it, I got photos of my older brother (from professional conferences and probably his employer's website), my dad & younger brother (from obits) and one of my seven nieces. I don't participate directly in social media like Facebook, linked-in etc but my father did, and he or one of my nieces may possibly have posted pictures of me there. Fortunately for me, there is a real estate agent in NYC with the same first name as mine. Most of the photos that come up in a google image of our name aren't me. A few of the hits from a google web search of our name are me, but most of them are her. That suits me just fine. Maybe one of these days I will contact her to see if we're related—she's also black.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote