Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Most people don’t realize this, but many smartphones have a built in flashlight and if you have an Apple watch, there is a flashlight on those too.
It would be superexpensive to attach an iPhone or Apple watch to a purse
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
True but those flashlights don't respond to cursing. The purse light should do this.
That’s also my great idea—I’ll call it the curse light, when the purse light is too polite.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:09 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Flood the market with pictures of women who do not color their hair. Make this practice look beautiful.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Where do I get the app that adds volume control for my TV, using firestick? As of now, I have to use a separate control to change the volume on my TV. Thanks in advance for the info.

Not an app, but a new Firestick remote. On sale for $15 at Amazon.
All-new Alexa Voice Remote with power and volume controls – requires compatible Fire TV device https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B6L2QCF..._7morCb3YGSFC9
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #65

I would propose a Sales Tax to pay for a universal health care system. I have no idea what percentage tax would be needed but everyone would be paying based on their spending.

Everyone would have access to health care. The world would continue to spin on its axis.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I would propose a Sales Tax to pay for a universal health care system. I have no idea what percentage tax would be needed but everyone would be paying based on their spending.

Everyone would have access to health care. The world would continue to spin on its axis.
Based on something I vaguely remember listening to on NPR, we would have to increase the tax brackets by 30% each in order to pay for universal health care. That would mean the lowest bracket would be 40%. I would guesstimate that the sales tax rate would have to be higher than that.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post

Bold by me. Not trying to be political, but isn't the cost kind of important to know before enacting something?
Old 01-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #68

I like the smell of fresh cut lumber. I like juicy greasy hamburgers. Every Home Depot and Lowe’s should have a burger joint in their lumber section. If you’re in Texas then Whataburger. California then In-N-Out.
The ambiance is compelling.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:57 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

When my son was about seven he suggested that electrical cords should change color if they are live.

I would like to see cul-de-sacs or blocs of homes all with solar systems that connect to battery storage system. In times of natural disaster, smart meters on the homes would report line or socket damage. If the system survived intact it would automatically disconnect from the grid and send the utility a message to that effect, allowing the utility workers to concentrate their efforts on neighborhoods that need their assistance. If there was damage the system would not accept electricity from those homes, but it would still provide electricity to undamaged circuits. It would also have the capability of disconnecting the 220 sockets in all homes, while leaving the 110 sockets live.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:29 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Based on something I vaguely remember listening to on NPR, we would have to increase the tax brackets by 30% each in order to pay for universal health care. That would mean the lowest bracket would be 40%. I would guesstimate that the sales tax rate would have to be higher than that.
Very Vague.
Just look North at Canada, it's pretty much what they do, and all Federal tax brackets are far below 40%

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...s.html#federal

"
Federal tax rates for 2018

• 15% on the first $46,605 of taxable income, +
  • 20.5% on the next $46,603 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over 46,605 up to $93,208), +
  • 26% on the next $51,281 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $93,208 up to $144,489), +
  • 29% on the next $61,353 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over 144,489 up to $205,842), +
  • 33%of taxable income over $205,842.

"
Old 01-25-2019, 10:48 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

You are all so funny! I want to “like” the posts but this isn’t Facebook (which is okay).

Old 01-26-2019, 03:01 AM   #72
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
I like the smell of fresh cut lumber. I like juicy greasy hamburgers. Every Home Depot and Lowe’s should have a burger joint in their lumber section. If you’re in Texas then Whataburger. California then In-N-Out.
Entice the consumer to buy. In Hershey PA and Magic Kingdom Main Street USA in Florida there is chocolate smells that get pumped into the air. Makes the tourists go bonkers.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:27 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Try having your greasy hamburger at a Cabelas store during an upcoming road trip. They have an outdoor themed restaurant usually near the section with smokers and barbecue grills. Pretty close to what you are envisioning. You might even want to pick up a nice smoker while you are there
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:23 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
I would like to see cul-de-sacs or blocs of homes all with solar systems that connect to battery storage system. In times of natural disaster, smart meters on the homes would report line or socket damage. If the system survived intact it would automatically disconnect from the grid and send the utility a message to that effect, allowing the utility workers to concentrate their efforts on neighborhoods that need their assistance. If there was damage the system would not accept electricity from those homes, but it would still provide electricity to undamaged circuits. It would also have the capability of disconnecting the 220 sockets in all homes, while leaving the 110 sockets live.
This could easily be done today, if people were willing to pay for it.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:45 AM   #75
Dryer sheet aficionado

When parking at the grocery store, walmart etc, I always park next to a buggy return area. The parking space next to them are wider than normal, so nobody door bumps my new truck. Plus, it is easier to unload, then stick the buggy in a return slot.
Only other thing I can think of is that I used to hate sorting socks. I threw away all of my different brand and color of socks and just bought all black in the same brand. Now any two socks I pick up match.
donothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When my son was about seven he suggested that electrical cords should change color if they are live. ....
There are some extension cords that have neon lights at the socket end, so you can see that they are 'live'. Hmmmm, maybe a fiber optic light pipe along the length would be even better? Especially for a cord draped across the floor in the dark.

Did he apply for a patent? He can use my fiber optic idea if it helps

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
This could easily be done today, if people were willing to pay for it.
Pay for it? That takes it from "easy" to "not easy"! Or "you first!".

Most of those kinds of brilliant ideas involve getting someone else to pay for it!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:13 AM   #77

Our friends bought an extravagant tree house in southern California a few years ago. I thought, "What a great idea!" Until last year. They continue to send us 2# of deluxe mixed nuts for Christmas.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:44 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by donothing View Post
When parking at the grocery store, walmart etc, I always park next to a buggy return area. The parking space next to them are wider than normal, so nobody door bumps my new truck. Plus, it is easier to unload, then stick the buggy in a return slot.
Only other thing I can think of is that I used to hate sorting socks. I threw away all of my different brand and color of socks and just bought all black in the same brand. Now any two socks I pick up match.
+1
I buy all white socks, just to rub it in that I am retired
Old 01-26-2019, 08:50 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Maybe we should have a sock swap meeting.

I have a few unpaired socks too. Plus I have lots of black ones. The white ones are for running. DW does the folding after I do the wash. So I do the dirty work and she gets the pattern matching.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:00 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Entice the consumer to buy. In Hershey PA and Magic Kingdom Main Street USA in Florida there is chocolate smells that get pumped into the air. Makes the tourists go bonkers.

In Hershey the chocolate smell became less noticeable when the factory moved to the edge of town. My town near Hershey frequently smells like-Purina. Doesn’t make me want to get a cat or dog though.
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote