Your Bucket List Disappointments

Very nice, but not for me....I got very close to my dream vehicle last year with the TRX I bought but there were a few things I didn't like, and a few options that I wish it had... But it was close. Maybe I'll order another one like I want and fix the one or two things the factory won't allow.

I had to look up TRX; it's a high-end Ram pickup.

I also have a 2016 F-150 Lariat supercab FX4 3.5L Ecoboost, also factory ordered to get what I wanted: large fuel tank, no sunroof, etc.

I'm quite pleased with it and use it for hauling stuff, lately including a lot of dead oak trees for firewood...

So far, all my bucket list items have been as great as I expected.

My biggest disappointment has been that others in my life don’t share my bucket list. Seems obvious now, but I had just assumed my brothers, wife, and SIL would all be eager to do the same things on my list.

I’ve loved all the experiences crossed off so far. But my biggest disappointment has been doing many of them alone. I don’t like being alone and enjoy sharing the experience with others.

Speaking of seeing so many stars in the sky at night when there is no cloud and no light pollution from city lights, there are two places where I have seen this: at a resort on the shore of the Sea of Cortez, and up at my high-country boondocks home.

Don't really have a bucket list. But a few weeks ago we were in Dominican visiting my niece and her husband used to be a surfing instructor. So, I learned how to surf at age 60. Something that I thought would be cool but I never thought I'd do.

My biggest disappointment has been that others in my life don’t share my bucket list. Seems obvious now, but I had just assumed my brothers, wife, and SIL would all be eager to do the same things on my list.

I’ve loved all the experiences crossed off so far. But my biggest disappointment has been doing many of them alone. I don’t like being alone and enjoy sharing the experience with others.
I agree with you, that is disappointing.

Don't really have a bucket list. But a few weeks ago we were in Dominican visiting my niece and her husband used to be a surfing instructor. So, I learned how to surf at age 60. Something that I thought would be cool but I never thought I'd do.

Oops, I just realized that this is a bucket list disappointment thread. I read hastily and obviously this wasn't a disappointment. :LOL:

Speaking of seeing so many stars in the sky at night when there is no cloud and no light pollution from city lights, there are two places where I have seen this: at a resort on the shore of the Sea of Cortez, and up at my high-country boondocks home.

The best stargazing I ever experienced was when I was the Officer of the Deck up on the sail of my submarine, driving on the surface hundreds of miles out in the ocean. No light pollution at all. Second best was northern Vermont on a bitterly cold but crystal clear winter night.

No bucket list but did have a business trip to DisneyWorld about 4 years prior to retirement. DH came with me, we had never been, and it was Christmas time.
Busy, crowded, noisy to the extreme.
The one thing I did like is we splurged on special Mickey Christmas party after hours tickets(that was a BTD!). Less crowded and lovely fireworks and parade.

Liked Disneyland in Calif when kids were younger. DisneyWorld was a disappointment.
But then again, I was there in my 50's with no kids! :)

+1

Machu Picchu.

My expectations were overly high, as I'd been dreaming of going there since I was in middle school.

The large number of people, too many of whom were focusing on getting the exactly perfect instagram photo with no concern for other visitors, was a big turnoff.

Luckily, a climb up Huayna Picchu (and being at the front of that line) to an unobstructed overlook helped a lot.

Inca Trail hikers arrive at the Sun Gate at dawn and get Machu Picchu to themselves for an hour or two before everyone else is let in. As we stepped through the crowds waiting to get in, we could hear people asking their guides why we were let in early. I enjoyed the solitude of Dead Woman's Pass more than Machu Picchu.

By the time I heard of bucket lists, I had more than a bathtub full of experiences. Most were awesome, even in retrospect.
One ( there were many, not writing a novel about them) downer was on Research ship Vema in the early 70ies, on a leg from Cape town to near Antarctica, several weeks of 30'+ waves, cold, ferocious winds. Lost two 200' eels (towed Hydrophone arrays) and an AirGun (generates acouistic noise to bounce off seafloor).
Mind you this was a 202' foot long 35' or so beam ship. Scheduled for 30 days, around 45 days, low on food (fried bones for dinner), neary out of fresh water, sea water for showers if brave. Most of the crew seasick.
Folding mattress in in half to wedge against the bulkhead so the ship's roll did not launch the pretend sleeper out of the birth. During this delightful trip took a 48 degree roll according to the bridge's clinometer. Most of the time rolling 20 to 30 degrees.
The upside was marveling at albatrossess soaring about the ship gracefully. Them suckers are big, some with wingspans guessed to be around 10 feet. Plus I was getting paid for the experience.

Inca Trail hikers arrive at the Sun Gate at dawn and get Machu Picchu to themselves for an hour or two before everyone else is let in. As we stepped through the crowds waiting to get in, we could hear people asking their guides why we were let in early. I enjoyed the solitude of Dead Woman's Pass more than Machu Picchu.

Didn't know that. But, DW wasn't up for the facilities of the Inca trail once she found about the Salkentay trail and the lodge to lodge option! :LOL:

I believe you also get early access by staying at the Belmond hotel next to the site--but that's a pretty pricey way to go.

We find that the more we travel, the more new places pop up on our "maybe should go there" list. Much like my amazon wishlist, it never gets shorter.

Last edited:
By the time I heard of bucket lists, I had more than a bathtub full of experiences. Most were awesome, even in retrospect.
One ( there were many, not writing a novel about them) downer was on Research ship Vema in the early 70ies, on a leg from Cape town to near Antarctica, several weeks of 30'+ waves, cold, ferocious winds. Lost two 200' eels (towed Hydrophone arrays) and an AirGun (generates acouistic noise to bounce off seafloor).
Mind you this was a 202' foot long 35' or so beam ship. Scheduled for 30 days, around 45 days, low on food (fried bones for dinner), neary out of fresh water, sea water for showers if brave. Most of the crew seasick.
Folding mattress in in half to wedge against the bulkhead so the ship's roll did not launch the pretend sleeper out of the birth. During this delightful trip took a 48 degree roll according to the bridge's clinometer. Most of the time rolling 20 to 30 degrees.
The upside was marveling at albatrossess soaring about the ship gracefully. Them suckers are big, some with wingspans guessed to be around 10 feet. Plus I was getting paid for the experience.

That trip sounds downright scary.

My supertanker ride from Long Beach, Ca to Valdez, Alaska and back in July 1980 was delightful compared to what you experienced.

Didn't know that. But, DW wasn't up for the facilities of the Inca trail once she found about the Salkentay trail and the lodge to lodge option! :LOL:

I believe you also get early access by staying at the Belmond hotel next to the site--but that's a pretty pricey way to go.

We find that the more we travel, the more new places pop up on our "maybe should go there" list. Much like my amazon wishlist, it never gets shorter.

I just shared your post with my DW, who said, "Wait...there was a lodge to lodge option on the Salkentay?" She was not a fan of the "facilities" on the Inca Trail.

I have a trip to space on my dream bucket list but I don't think it is going to happen. I know Shatner went up at age 80 or whatever but that was a special case and that is only 27.5 years away now. I'd pay $250k or so (more if I knew my expiry date).

That trip sounds downright scary.

My supertanker ride from Long Beach, Ca to Valdez, Alaska and back in July 1980 was delightful compared to what you experienced.

Heh, there were fun times too, same ship, some months later, Near Jan Mayen, North Atlantic, see the Aurora Borealis horizon to horizon, was unable to communicate via radio on any short wave frequency with NY.

Radio RF gain full on, Audio gain full on, only a slight hiss coming out of the speaker. A well known phenomena experienced by me the first time. Sparky the ship's Radio Officer had a few chuckles about it.
Next day, captain ordered Heave To. Put Dories over the side and had Dory races around ship and some icebergs. The captain lost one round around the ship, won two.

Of course heading from South to North Atlantic we crossed the Equator, with the obligatory Equator Crossing Ceremony and Initiation Rites for the un-initiated to Davey Jones and Neptune's secrets. The ritual transformed me from Pollywog to Shellback. The details of the ritual? No I'll not tell.:D

We also had whiny newbe, picked up in a Ghana, who was desperate to go home. We told him when we get close to the equator, will meet the Mail Boat, he can transfer and go home. Of course there he was on deck with all his stuff waiting. Next morning First Mate told him of the prank. Not sure he ever ragained sanity.

I have a trip to space on my dream bucket list but I don't think it is going to happen. I know Shatner went up at age 80 or whatever but that was a special case and that is only 27.5 years away now. I'd pay $250k or so (more if I knew my expiry date).

Interesting. This is a nice bucket list item I’ve never considered. I guess in many ways we are getting closer to it being a possible reality.
As to how much I’d be willing to spend, I think the cost has to be cheaper for me. $250K for a mere 10 minutes or similar is just enough reward I think. I’d want a walk on the moon for that price [emoji3]. In keeping with the thread theme, otherwise it might be a disappointment.

good to hear Brett. I never had a hankering for the Philippines or Malaysia, but always wanted to go to Thailand. Now to convince DW :D

Give Malaysia another look. I spent a couple of days in Kuala Lumpur then I flew to Borneo. I used the town of Kuching as a base for visiting national parks on the island. The parks were beautiful and culturally it was fascinating.

I have never been disappointed in any of the places I have visited. A big disappointment was getting Covid in Ireland after being there only 4 days. Since my ancestors came from there I was really looking forward to seeing the town they were from which didn’t happen.

In my 40’s I went to both Disneyland and Disney world about 8 years apart and enjoyed them very much. My next two trips to Europe will mostly complete my bucket list. There’s a few states on the east coast that I would also like to see and I would like to see glacier national park.

That's exactly what we did, but there are only about 30 rooms in the Sanctuary Lodge, so we planned our entire trip around the two nights we could get a room there. Currently, it's about $1600 a night for the least expensive rooms.

Last edited:
I had a simple goal. My goal was to make a road trip through remote areas of America in the middle of the night in a convertible with the top down so I can look up and see the Milky Way. We borrowed my brother-in-law Miata and heading out in the warmest part of August. The problem was when you get old (I'm in my 60s) your night vision isn't good. I could only see maybe 100 yards ahead; not good when you're driving through windy roads. I didn't have time to look up at the stars because the driving was terrifying. I was sure glad to see the sun come up! I was exhausted from the whole ordeal.

Gosh, I can’t imagine driving under those conditions!

But I have certainly spent nights between midnight and 4am wandering around Chisos Basin in Big Bend National Park to admire the Milky Way and other night sky phenomena. Good place to witness Perseid meteor shower. I also got a great shot of the Zodiacal Light one morning wee hours. That’s when you really understand you are standing in a giant telescope.

Check out Pinnacles, but not in this rain. It’s fascinating. I hiked many of the Bay Area places living there 40 years. One memorable day was hiking from Muir Woods to Muir Beach with friends when I was 13. I used to walk out the front door of my parents’ house and just go to the end of the developed area, and hike in the hills where the cows grazed (avoiding the cows). The hills are now covered with houses.

Those places are both great. We used to be in various camping, adventure and whitewater sports groups, so we've been to most of the more well known outdoor spots in Northern and Central California over the years. We also live in a developed area next to parks, open space and hiking trails, even have the cattle grazing, too, but so far most of it has remained undeveloped. But in the other direction there has been a development surge of housing, retail and restaurants in the last decade.

I was just in Machu Picchu in late October. We were there 2 days. The first day we arrived onsite mid afternoon - just as the day trippers were scurrying away to go get bus down the hill to catch the train back. There were only 200 or so people on the whole site. The next morning was far more crowded (1000's of people) even though we got there on one of the first buses up the hill. Machu Picchu was on my bucket list - but I enjoyed it -so it doesn't fit this thread. The only regret I have is not wearing long sleeves that first afternoon. The biting flies ate me alive.

Back
Top Bottom