Join Early Retirement Today

Your Bucket List Disappointments
Old 01-06-2023, 02:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Your Bucket List Disappointments

Thought it would be fun to list the items that were on your bucket list and once you did that item, were disappointed and won't do that item again

Something like took a cruise, but then was seasick. Or tried a new hobby and failed or unable to get excited about continuing it. Or travel to somewhere and it was not a nice visit. Or bought that long sought car and it was a lemon.

So let's hear your bucket list disappointments

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2023, 02:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm still looking for the perfect vehicle. The right look/style, performance, options... I've had a few that came close recently but no cigar, yet.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:51 PM   #3

Driving across Kansas in the winter winds was not on my bucket list, but I will not seek out that experience again.
I did most things before I had a bucket or list, or even a bucket list.
I tried my own business and that was less than thrilling, I guess that is the best I can do on-topic.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 02:53 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

On one of our snowbird trips in SE Asia we flew to the Philippines for what we planned to be a three week visit.

We spent four days, then took another two days to arrange a flight back to Thailand. We were very disappointed on a number of levels.

We were thankful that we had an open schedule with no firm accommodation or travel commitments. The upside....it made us appreciate Thailand even more!
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 02:57 PM   #5

good to hear Brett. I never had a hankering for the Philippines or Malaysia, but always wanted to go to Thailand. Now to convince DW
Old 01-06-2023, 02:59 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Not really a bucket list item, but one I heard a lot about and went in with high expectations.

Las Vegas

The other was the US Virgin Islands

Ouch
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:00 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Before I owned lakeshore property I used to dream about how cool it would be to zip around in a speedboat I could keep at the end of my own dock. I bought the house, boat, etc. about 20 years ago. Literally the first time I got the boat up on plane I thought "this is not as fun as I thought it would be and I spent a bunch of money getting here". I've gotten way more satisfaction out of the sailboats I've owned and have no desire to deal with the hassle of waterfront property anymore.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:02 PM   #8

On our first trip to Japan, DH was very excited to visit the Tokyo Anime convention. It was ok, but not like you'd expect, a bit too corporate, and not enough cosplay!

On the back end of our trip, we found out there was a 2nd convention, less organized, more home grown, more fun sounding, more led by enthusiasts vs the companies trying to showcase their shows. That particular day there were heavy winds, and many of the trains were shut down - all the elevated ones - so the normal route wasn't doable. We ended up taking about 3 hours to do a 1 hour trip, including the challenges of translations and re-routes as some things got cancelled en route. The last leg was a bus... but we made it!

We got to the door....and it was no admittance if you didn't have an advance ticket, sold out days before.

We trudged away and saw massive lines for the buses to start our journey back. I decided we were gonna BTD and get a cab instead...

Ah well!
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:02 PM   #9

Machu Picchu.

My expectations were overly high, as I'd been dreaming of going there since I was in middle school.

The large number of people, too many of whom were focusing on getting the exactly perfect instagram photo with no concern for other visitors, was a big turnoff.

Luckily, a climb up Huayna Picchu (and being at the front of that line) to an unobstructed overlook helped a lot.
Old 01-06-2023, 03:08 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Machu Picchu.

My expectations were overly high, as I'd been dreaming of going there since I was in middle school.

The large number of people, too many of whom were focusing on getting the exactly perfect instagram photo with no concern for other visitors, was a big turnoff.

Luckily, a climb up Huayna Picchu (and being at the front of that line) to an unobstructed overlook helped a lot.
Funny you say that. Someone else I know said they had to stand in line to take a photo of the mountain town. Not my kind of adventure.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:20 PM   #11
Administrator

When I was 8 years old, I read a book about the famous archaeologist Howard Carter and how he discovered King Tutankhamen's tomb. Ever since then, I have I wanted to go to Egypt and see the Valley of the Kings for myself. And, after 55 years, that dream finally came true this past October. It was a grand and glorious trip. We saw all the wonders of ancient Egypt, cruised the Nile on a dahabiyah for four nights, ate well and had a great time.

But, the tomb of Tutankhamen was actually not all that impressive. It was small and crowded and the designs were just painted on the wall rather than carved into the stone and then painted like the other tombs. And aside from his mummy in a glass case, there was nothing else in the tomb.

Going inside the Great Pyramid of Khufu at Giza was also somewhat disappointing. First, it is about 100 deg. inside, and for about the first 100 feet you are climbing through a tunnel angled up at about 30 degrees. It is roughly 3 feet by 4 feet, so you are hunched over the whole time, nose to tail with the people ahead and behind while squeezing past sweaty people coming the other way. After awhile, you reach the grand gallery, which is tall enough to stand up, but still only about 3 feet wide with a press of people coming the other way. And your reward is the King's Chamber, which is plain stone room completely devoid of any decoration whatsoever. No paintings, no hieroglyphics, no nothing.

I will say that those were only minor disappointments, and I'm still glad we went.
Old 01-06-2023, 03:38 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I don't really have a bucket list, meaning something I must do before I kick the bucket.

I do have many places that I would like to see, not in any particular order, where I will go when there's an opportunity. And because I don't set high expectations, I am rarely disappointed.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Thought it would be fun to list the items that were on your bucket list and once you did that item, were disappointed and won't do that item again

Something like took a cruise, but then was seasick.
Cruising was it for us. So many people raved about them. So we went on a true bucket list item, an Alaskan cruise. Spent 3 days in Seattle on both ends and had a really good time.

Then we tried the Caribbean. No thanks. We have enjoyed all-inclusives in many of these places. Stopping for 1 day with 4,000 other folks was NOT the same.

DW has cousins that cruise about 20 weeks a year. They love it. Just not for us.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:21 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I do have a written bucket list, almost 100 events/experiences. I don’t have any that were outright disappointments so far. However, we’ve done vacations to spots we have no reason to go back to, but trying new places is how we’ve found the places we really like and go back to - so no regrets. We’ve deliberately applied the ‘constantly try new experiences approach’ our whole lives, otherwise how can you find the ones you really enjoy? Vacation spots, restaurants, shops, activities, we’ve moved many times (I’ve lived on 3 continents and we’ve lived in 10 US states), etc.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:37 PM   #15

Well it wasn’t on my bucket list but Disney was the pits, IMHO. Don’t flame me.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:42 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I always wanted to brew my own beer. I figured out that buying beer in the store and drinking it is a lot more fun.
Phroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Well it wasn’t on my bucket list but Disney was the pits, IMHO. Don’t flame me.
It was good when I was 10, it was OK when I was 18.
I don't seek that again nor a Disney cruise.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:13 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
I live in FLA, but can't see visiting these types of parks anymore.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:23 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post

On the other hand, my wife's niece loves Disneyland so much, she buys an annual membership to visit whenever she has time (she lives in the LA area). Said the visits helped her to relax.

She's in her 40s.

The last time I was there was for my kids, and they were in their pre-teen years.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 05:29 PM   #20

never thought of the following as a "bucket list", but...

- wanted to be a licensed amateur radio operator since i was about 10. accomplished that when I was 25-30. earned my Extra Class about 10-15 years ago.

- wanted to learn to fly, too. was on my way to that when my wife had a skiing accident and I had to stop. but i accomplished that goal after I retired.

- best of all I wanted both of us to retire no later than 55. i tried for 50 but no go. we both did retire at 55.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote