Your exercise plans for 2021 and how it went in 2020?

Like some others here, I have always preferred the gym to working out at home. I think the pandemic has been especially hard on those of us who were formerly more or less "gym rats". Like UtahSkier I still pay $42/month for my gym membership, but I haven't gone regularly since February either. We did go a couple of times in late May when they re-opened (with loads of restrictions), but it just seemed kind of spooky, definitely did not seem the same.

After reading and posting in the thread about home gym equipment yesterday, I have been thinking maybe I should start using it more! I have a stationary recumbent bike, a Concept 2 rowing machine, a few dumbbells, and a 60" TV with Wii Fit and other Wii fitness games in my home gym room. The room has big mirrors and two big ceiling fans which are helpful when working out. I think it's a nice setup and I will try using it again for a while.

If it turns out that I can get into a habit of daily workouts at home, then maybe I'll go to the gym and cancel that $42/month membership. I hate to do that since memberships have been $65 for years, and I am grandfathered into the $42 deal.

It's really weird that I had a pretty good home gym, rack/bench, 500 lbs of plates and 200 lbs of dumbbells, but just could not get used to working out at home. Much preferred the gym, so got rid of all the home equipment. I know when the pandemic started to take hold, equipment was hard to come by; not sure if that is still the case.

It's really weird that I had a pretty good home gym, rack/bench, 500 lbs of plates and 200 lbs of dumbbells, but just could not get used to working out at home. Much preferred the gym, so got rid of all the home equipment. I know when the pandemic started to take hold, equipment was hard to come by; not sure if that is still the case.

The advantage of a home gym is that there's never a lineup and you can work out any time you want without having to leave the house. The disadvantage is that because you can work out any time you want it's sometimes easy to put it off and never get a round to it.

I am an occasional long distance runner that really doesn't enjoy running. I normally run two races a year. The JFK 50 mile in November (www.jfk50mile.org) - this year's winner did it in 5:18 wearing a mask the entire time! And a 100 mile race in Raleigh in the spring. The Raleigh race was wisely cancelled, and I bowed out of the JFK for safety. Hoping that both go this year, and that I have worked hard enough to finish both in a decent time!

Hiked 435 miles in 2018, 485 in 2019, set a goal of 500 for 2020 and closed out the year at 528. Set a goal of 550 for 2021. In New England, winter hiking can be tough. No interest in cross country skiing or snow shoeing, but I will spike up the boots and go if it is icy. Our dogs have logged those miles with me too, although our eldest is now 13.5 years old and acts like he just doesn't want to be there (but will RUN chasing squirrels, or coming in a feeding time) I also typically play racquetball twice a week (been playing since 1976, no kidding) but have been backing away from that a bit with the virus.

Lost 24 lbs the first 9 months after FIRE in Jan 2017 and have kept it off. And I am not on any kind of diet, trust me (but generally eat pretty healthy).

Don't see any motivational issue for 2021, already have some state park hikes that I want to do lined up.

I am an occasional long distance runner that really doesn't enjoy running. I normally run two races a year. The JFK 50 mile in November (www.jfk50mile.org) - this year's winner did it in 5:18 wearing a mask the entire time! And a 100 mile race in Raleigh in the spring. The Raleigh race was wisely cancelled, and I bowed out of the JFK for safety. Hoping that both go this year, and that I have worked hard enough to finish both in a decent time!

Why not cut down on the mileage and enjoy the run? Maybe try trails with some wildlife if possible?

I rode a little over 3200 miles on my recumbent trike according to my Strava app. Averaging about 13 miles a day for the 250 days I rode. The other days it was either raining or medical issues.

I hope to improve on that mileage if my 23+ year old trike holds up. Otherwise I have my eye on a new trike to give me incentive and keep me going. I want to be healthy enough to travel again when the time comes. Maybe toward the end of the year if we can be immunized and it is safer.

Cheers!

Hiked 435 miles in 2018, 485 in 2019, set a goal of 500 for 2020 and closed out the year at 528. Set a goal of 550 for 2021. In New England, winter hiking can be tough. No interest in cross country skiing or snow shoeing, but I will spike up the boots and go if it is icy. Our dogs have logged those miles with me too, although our eldest is now 13.5 years old and acts like he just doesn't want to be there (but will RUN chasing squirrels, or coming in a feeding time) I also typically play racquetball twice a week (been playing since 1976, no kidding) but have been backing away from that a bit with the virus.

Lost 24 lbs the first 9 months after FIRE in Jan 2017 and have kept it off. And I am not on any kind of diet, trust me (but generally eat pretty healthy).

Don't see any motivational issue for 2021, already have some state park hikes that I want to do lined up.

Another NH resident here.
DW and I do trail walks with the dog 2-3 times daily totaling anywhere from 3-6 miles. I also climb the nearby famous mountain once a week(over 400 times since 2011) which is a fairly strenuous (1850 ft elevation gain in 2 miles) hike and can be a real challenge this time of year. Have been up there several times with face mask, goggles and lots of clothes to avoid frostbite when it's 5 degrees and 40 mph winds. Microspikes always in the pack.

What I really need to do more of is upper body exercise. My lower half is in great shape, my upper half could stand to catch up.
We try to generally eat healthy but I cave sometimes. Just finished the pumpkin cheesecake my DW made that was deadly. Not going to pass on that.:)

I started CrossFit 4 years ago and was hooked. Love it ever since. I do it 4 times a week. Blend in run, swim for the rest of the week. Since gym closed, I still manage to CrossFit at home with minimal equivalent: door frame pull up bar, 1 kettle bell.
Here is an example of my favorite routine:
8 rounds for time:
15 pull ups
15 push ups
20 air squats
15 burpees

My benchmark is under 20 minutes. Still in best shape in my life at 50.

Wife and I have been doing a 34 minute XBOX calisthenics routine for many years that can be easily adjusted for fitness level. Do that 2 to 4 times a week. Do semi 'heavy' weights 2 days a week. One day off a week. We also do a minimum of 3 miles a day walking 6 days a week. We top that off at night with a little something to get us off the couch - every 30 minutes it is either sit-ups, pushups, or plank (1 min 18 secs). We are not in spectacular shape, but it is better than nothing. Taking a good probiotic and multivitamin doesn't hurt. The XBOX routine can be found on YouTube with a search for XB ROUTINE for those who want to give it a shot. Try it with 5 pound dumbells, and see how long you can go!!

Prior to Covid I attended classes two times a week and walked most days at least 3 miles. My gym closed in March so I started online youtube video workouts. I actually was pretty committed to this. Then summer hit and I only walked....lost interest in the videos and just walked regularly...about 5 x a week.

In November my trainer started a challenge on FB posting online video workouts and for some reason that has held my interest ....5 x a week strength training. So far so good. My gym is now open but is super small so going is still not an option in my mind. In December I read the book "The Finnish Way" and decided I could ride my bike in the winter as well as snow shoe when the conditions allow. Very motivating book on how to embrace the cold and just get out there. I live in Iowa and weather conditions are not particularly pleasant in the winter.

Now I need my own personal sauna......

20-30 mile bike rides on the trainer daily. 20 miles of running slow a week . Hip is fried . New one when Covid is over so 2022 then more running again .

In 2010 I qualified for and ran Boston, I was in great shape. Ideal weight and all that at 55 years old. Later that year I had a DVT and PE. Got back running two years later, then hip issues, achilles problems and finally a pulled groin kept me from running consistently. So, for 2020 my goal was to stay healthy. To do that I enrolled in a boot camp class for cross-training and set a goal to run at least 1,000 miles. Made it, and for 2021 I want to run 2021 km (1,256 miles).

Well...let me see: Started working out in January at Planet Fitness. By March they had closed up shop because of the Chinese virus. However, they still took a months worth of membership from me. That pissed me off and so I cancelled my membership. I walk/jog about 4 miles 3 times a week.

I lost 18 lbs over the last year. Averaged 10,000+ steps per day, and got in around 270 workouts throughout the year. Changes in the upcoming year? Shifting from mostly barbell powerlifting to more HIIT and kettlebell workouts. Just want to maintain my current weight (185+/- 2.5) and bodyfat (12-13%) levels and fight off sarcopenia as much as possible.

Read thread for motivation - thank you!

Was aiming at biking 4000miles 400,000ft only got to 2400miles, with a lot of zero weeks. I found biking by myself is not nearly as much fun as with club rides and I struggle to make myself get out. Still enjoy once a week hike, but of course no National Park trips. Once a week gym yoga cancelled and lots of Covid eating: 10lb+ gained over the year.

17miles so far this year only 3983 to go!

In 2010 I qualified for and ran Boston, I was in great shape. Ideal weight and all that at 55 years old. Later that year I had a DVT and PE. Got back running two years later, then hip issues, achilles problems and finally a pulled groin kept me from running consistently. So, for 2020 my goal was to stay healthy. To do that I enrolled in a boot camp class for cross-training and set a goal to run at least 1,000 miles. Made it, and for 2021 I want to run 2021 km (1,256 miles).

I'm older and so I concentrate on healthy running and walking. By healthy running I mean trying to minimize pavement workouts in favor of trails, good shoes (replace at 500 miles), and not over focusing on my mileage totals.

Pointby2, you are doing great.

Anyway how did you do in 2020 and what are you thinking about for 2021? If you want to forget 2020 and just move on, what are your plans? If you want to brag this is the place to do it.

After having a health scare (they thought I might have had a stroke - I didn't, thankfully) in April, I began exercising regularly for the first time in my life. I feel better, I sleep better, my blood pressure is down to a manageable number without drugs and I'm feeling at least 5 years younger. My lung capacity and oxygen utilization must have improved because I can now hold my breath for 90 seconds - I couldn't get close to that a year ago. I don't mean this as a brag, I just want people to know what kind of a difference regular exercise can make for an aging 66 year old.

My hope (plan?) for 2021 is to add some strength building exercises at least 3 times a week. I started this morning. We'll see

I started a challenge called "Run the Year 2021" (https://runtheedge.com). I am walking (so far) and have a team of 5 to go for the team goal of 2,021 miles first and then stretch for the 2,021 miles on my own.
And this has been a motivator. Usually I will walk ~ 4-5 miles a few days a week and maybe a stretch 8-11 mile walk every few weeks. But now I have over 38 miles in the past 5 days and my team has already reached our first goal.
Hopefully once my weight drops a bit, my knee gets stronger and no snow on the trails, I can begin a slow jog.

I take walks- lots of steep hills around here. Bad weather days is the gazelle and indoor cycle and hand weights- isometric exercises. I found I skipped a lot of days this year because I don’t have a definite schedule this first year of retirement. I also get up later than when I worked by 4 hours! So my days are shorter and if I have to go out for errands or an appt or whatever it sidetracks me.

I have been been gaining weight for years, even when I was eating salads for lunch 7 days per week and exercising 1 hour 6 days plus working full time- not a desk job either. It’s like my metabolism just died.

For exercise I mostly ride bicycles and do some hiking. 2020 was my best year yet for cycling, 5625 miles. It’s about 80% road miles and 20% mountain bike or gravel.
Working part time in 2020 helped a lot. Since I’m retired as of 12/31/20 I’m thinking 2021 will be much better.

Retirement is good for staying in shape

A friend who races bikes just entered the 60+ age category, when I said that’s good, he said “no it’s not, now I have to race against a bunch of retired guys who ride 250-500 miles per week so they can be better than the under 60 year olds.”

Man, it felt good to get in a 2000 meter row! But my knees will probably be screaming at me tomorrow.

Here we are forbidden to be out and about for at least another month except for shopping or going to medical appointments (and that can only be for COVID) which puts a damper on doing anything outside even considering the winter weather.

I already have an established workout routine but have added some newer nuances using an Oculus Quest 2. This has been an enormously fun way to add some training and depending on what you do can be an intense workout. I can't speak highly enough about it.

My normal routine is alternating days I use a vibration platform and perform a calisthenics routine for 15 minutes. The alternating day is using dumbells after a 5 minute warmup/stretch (the same on all days) on the platform. This is followed by stationary cycling for 35 minutes and alternating days I do a HIIT routine of 75 seconds cycling full out intense followed by 90 seconds light for a total of 10 rounds. I use an interval timer on my Galaxy watch. I wear my Quest 2 when cycling and watch Youtube VR videos to stave off the boredom (I hate stationary exercising). Every other day I do 3, 15 minute sessions, in our sauna and perform yoga in the sauna (it is big enough) and usually Kundalini style. Usually I do the Quest workouts between sauna sessions on sauna days. Every day now I exercise one hour using the Quest 2 and Powerbeats VR, Audio Trip (my favorite) and at least another 15-30 minutes with Thrill of the Fight which is very intense. I have cut that back to 3 times a week as it really toasts your arms. It is an unreal workout and my shoulders have bulked out a lot since I started that.

When the weather gets better I'll begin to hike an hour a day in our national forest and hills nearby, go mountain biking, etc. I normally cycle everywhere locally including my daily 4 miles to the marina and sail at least 3 hours every day. I often toss in a bike trip on the way home of around 40 km or half that if it is on trails. We also have a swimming pool which should be warm enough in April to start laps again. I also generally do a 1 hour yoga routine in the afternoon out on the deck around sundown. That alternates between Astana and Kundalini techniques. I developed my own flow workout with 5 second static holds at each pose for the Astana. Kundalini is fully active and repetitious and great for releasing any tensions and active stretches. There are some great videos out there and it is easy to create your own workouts from them.

My wife does nothing (except some short walks around town and swimming lightly) and generally thinks I am insane to do this much at my age. I have always worked out and it was a required part of my life in the military so I keep it up. I was always active and was a marathoner and triathlete for many years. I also have a 1st Dan in Kendo. Since we moved to Hungary and I got older it is easier to do this stuff casually and I no longer do races or Kendo (not available here) although I do run through routines and kata with my Shinai out on the pool deck a few days a month. I enjoy exercising and it is healthy so why not? So, roughly I workout 3 to 4 hours every day if you add it all up. There is also a lot of gardening to do and I spent 4 hours yesterday trimming branches on trees with our gardener. I generally spend an hour or so weeding etc. every day. We have a large formal gardens so it is a lot of work.

On top of all of that I have been on Keto diet for one year now and eat one meal a day with 20 hours fasting daily. I haven't had any carbohydrates in excess of 50 grams a day for a whole year.

Happy New Year!

I just saw this short worthwhile article on how to customize your Apple Watch for workouts:
https://www.howtogeek.com/703035/how-to-customize-the-workout-stats-you-see-on-a-apple-watch/

This is really helpful. Thanks!

As one who lives by the mantra "Whenever I feel the urge to exercise, I lie down until it passes" This has become an important issue.
I retired June 2020 so I'm definitely a newbie. I had a very active physically demanding job. Now I find myself sedentary and indulging more than I normally would. I call it COVID boredom.
I've started a workout routine and am watching my diet. The Apple watch workout stats will hopefully help me see progress besides a scale.

I had about 5 hours of physical activity 5 days a week in 2019. Weight machines 3x a week, exercise classes, track walking, ball room dancing day or night 3x a week, line dancing and Zumba.

Feb and march.. zilch, nada, nothing. and not venturing out at all.. can you say depressed and porking it on?

Started marching to metronome at 120beats per minute after watching movie Music man and got up to 5hrs a day. Did much of this watching tv.

Found zoom exercise classes, bought dumbbells and mats, but classes spastic with too many days and weeks off by instructors.. Got canned classes so I can supplement days they are off. Have that monday thru friday 1-3 classes a day.

Finally thought why not combine exercise with daily activities?
Found out I can do 60 squats while electric brushing my teeth before my smiley faced egg timer runs out. 5x60= 300

I also started doing 10 leaning standing pushups at the sink before leaving the bathroom every time. Amazing how defined my shoulders seem to be getting.

I put our furniture on casters and now we easily move the furniture to do ballroom dancing at home. Last time we finished with a modified Viennese waltz (fast with lots of spinning so aerobic at our age.. lol). Started at an hour and will work our way back up.

Am curious what miscellaneous stuff you all do to supplement exercise at odd moments if you are also locked down like we are.

I talk to my elderly mother about 45 minutes a day and ride my exercise bike while talking to her. She sometimes asks me why I am so out of breathe. I also do exercises while watching TV or listening to the radio, especially standing yoga poses. We also dance on our kitchen floor--2 step, waltz, flatfooting.

Back
Top Bottom