Your favorite comic strip?

Years ago my kids were bragging about their favorite comic strip "big Nate" and they asked what mine was- "Calvin and Hobbes" I told them- and checked out a book from the library. They loved it as much as I did and we now own every single C & H book ever published- and our cat is named Hobbes. Oldest son asked what else we liked- we now own the complete "Far Side" collection... I liked Haggar the Horrible, too. I remember running out to get the Sunday paper in my bare feet so I could get at the "funnies" before my sibs...

Another +1 for calvin and hobbes.

Also remember Cathy, retired I think in the early 90's? Obvs female centric but would probably still be relevant today.

Calvin and Hobbes (++), Far Side, Dilbert, Foxtrot. Our paper carries Brewster Rockit, and I like it. I like the Lockhorns, too, but I'm not proud of that.

Of the active comic strips I would choose Dilbert. Wally has been my hero ever since I read that his job goal was "To find myself a position where I have no effect on anything." :D

The other great one is Calvin and Hobbs. How else would I have learned that the world used to be all black-and-white until it started changing over to color a little over 100 years ago?

When I read it, I enjoyed Calvin and Hobbes. I remember I even used to cut the strips from news papers and glued them until I had a giant comic book. But I don't have it anymore.

Agree on Calvin&Hobbes, Farside, Dilbert.

A good, sardonic webcomic is XKCD.
""A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.""

einstein.png

Love XKCD - and many times don't get the references.

Some of my faves are from Far Side. Calvin and Hobbes and Bloom County were great. Pearls before Swine, Non Sequiter and Pepper and Salt for current comics.

Some of the Disney artists such as Carl Barks and Don Rosa. And others I don't remember.

The Far Side was incredible!

In Norwegian Karine Haaland is my favourite.

Calvin & Hobbes is the best comic strip of all time, IMO. The fact that Watterson retired while still at the top of his game, and didn’t license his characters for TV/movies/toys has helped to keep the strip feeling “special”.

The Far Side and Dilbert are both excellent strips in their own right, but still a notch below C&H to me.

As for comic books, I have a love for the sadly short-lived "Crossgen" series (Scion, Meridian, First, Sigil). Gorgeous artwork, engaging settings and stories.

Far Side, for sure. I have several Far Side books which have dozens of his one-pane gags. The stuff in there was often so goofy. My favorite was about the "Bozone Layer," a layer above the earth filled with clowns. Larson drew dozens of clowns with every imaginable funny face.

Dilbert was funny when I was still working full-time. Anyone remember his short-lived TV cartoon show in the late 1990s?

Of the comics still active today my favorite is Dilbert followed closely by Frank and Earnest and xkcd

Calvin and Hobbs is great for more reasons than I have time to list.

Attachments

• Logic of science.jpg
    Logic of science.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 32
Far Side followed closely by Pogo. Love this one Chuckanut.

This thread got me thinking of the comics I grew up with, starting with the old-timers in the Chicago Trib, like Moon Mullins -- great characters in that one. Smokey Stover, my first exposure to surrealism. And the Teenie Weenies, with the character you could cut out of every panel like a paper doll.

Then came adolescence, Spy vs. Spy. Don Martin's craziness, like Monty Python in a 4-panel strip. Which led to... Robert Crumb's Mr. Natural Annd... Whiteman!
0be89d6cd0566707ef51cbe55c0907ec.jpg

What followed was kind of a letdown. Zippy the Pinhead, of course. Jay Lynch had some amusing stuff in Playboy. The Far Side, yeh, funny.

When it comes to the drawn panel, nobody elevated it to an art form like Robert Crumb.

I confess I've had a couple glasses of wine after a trying evening. But I'm going to the nearest non-Amazon retailer (turned out to be thriftbooks.com) and ordering Crumb's "Book of Genesis." See what you've made me do.

Calvin and Hobbes is my all-time favorite.

I also liked The Far Side and Dilbert.

Until I found out where he actually did work, I was sure that Scott Adams worked somewhere at my megacorp.

Was contemplating a Hägar the Horrible strip this morning.....Hägar relates the story of Sisyphus on a personal basis to Hamlet......Hamlet says he doesn't understand....Hägar replies "You will, you will".

He's now 2 years older than me, and 6 years younger than Mickey Mouse.

Attachments

• donaldduck.jpg
    donaldduck.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Zits, Pickles, Cathy, Get Fuzzy were all favorites. Don't see them much now as I don't subscribe to newspaper anymore.

Zits, Pickles, Cathy, Get Fuzzy were all favorites. Don't see them much now as I don't subscribe to newspaper anymore.

Look at the OP which has a link to Go Comics. That has Pickles and perhaps some of your other favorites. So you can see this on a tablet or computer.

I'm just not into comic strips! :) I don't seek them out, and also don't seek out or read comic books, dress up for Hallowe'en, and so on. These are childhood delights that I enjoyed in my youth, but did not carry into adult life. I know many did, and I admire your ability to retain the joy and innocence of childhood during ones adult years. But that's not me.

OK, OK.... confession time.... I *DO* play video games, especially Animal Crossing which I suppose is one that children might like, since basically you move into a town inhabited by adorable talking animals, and befriend them. So I haven't entirely cast off childhood pastimes. I just don't seek out comic strips, and these days I have no idea where I would even find them.

Back
Top Bottom