Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2018, 07:35 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Shoes are about the only thing left I hesitate to buy online, that a department store would have. YMMV
Try it. The selection is much better on line than any store could possibly have. Plus, the return process is very easy. They know you might need to try a few before you buy/keep them so they have a good process.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2018, 08:48 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
33 years ago I moved to my current residence here in northern New Jersey, and I would describe it as a shopper's mecca. Surprisingly, it still is. There are 3 brick and mortar malls within a handful of miles of each other, and a slew of shopping centers. One of those malls recently announced an expansion to add something like 60 (not a typo) additional stores.

At least in my neck of the woods it appears brick and mortar is alive and well.
Paramus, right? My guess is that part of their success is due to people coming in from NYC to buy clothing with zero sales tax. And, once you've made the trip, may as well have a meal and see what else is on offer.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:39 AM   #43

Our local small mall is a ghost town. The only anchor store left is a VonMaur. The 16 screen theater has upgraded the seating this last year. Another mall about 10 miles away is maybe 5 years behind the first. It too will be empty IMO. The outlet mall 20 miles away just shut down and the land is for sale. On a road a couple of miles further west, it seems that the strip malls just go from one to the next, for 30 miles. 4 and 6 lane roads with stop lights everywhere. 40 years ago, that road was a 2 lane "Limited Access Roadway". Not so much limited access today! I think these strip malls will see increasingly stiffer competition from the main on-line sellers and have a hard time staying open. Maybe they will start to close in 5-10 years? There can only be "x" number of fast food places, restaurants and sports bars to fill those voids.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #44

Walnut Creek has no problem staying full but I wonder about Neiman Marcus foot traffic. They have a new concept: Maker to Market where locals sell handicrafts of all kinds.

Concord has a problem staying full but they're getting a new bookstore (Barnes & Noble) .... lost the Amazon store front to WC

Other cities aren't doing great. Richmond is considering turning it's oldest mall into desperately needed housing. A city on the peninsula is turning a Valco mall into multi use : stores 1st floor, condos above. I see this as the wave of the future
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:51 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
Since I live in Bloomington MN the Mall of America is the closest mall and it is doing well. The city council is about to approve a $250 million water park addition.
Multi use malls are the wave of the future IMHO
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Our local mall. Cherry Creek Mall, in Denver is doing well enough to charge for parking.
But multiple lower end malls in the Denver area were torn down and replaced by the new urbanization faux downtown outside store arrangement. The high end malls like Cherry Creek and Park Meadows are doing well however.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:59 AM   #47

On the other hand, people seem to be fascinated by photos of abandoned malls

From the article: "Dead malls are popping up all over the states, particularly in the Midwest, where economic decline has sped up the "going out of business" process. This map, put together by a Dead Malls Enthusiasts Facebook group, shows that well.

As Americans are faced with multiple shopping options and more stores are leaving malls, it should be interesting to see if malls and mall culture will survive.

What you are about to see is what happens when malls are abandoned. It's apocalyptic and really, really creepy."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/comp...bandoned-malls

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:10 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
On the other hand, people seem to be fascinated by photos of abandoned malls

From the article: "Dead malls are popping up all over the states, particularly in the Midwest, where economic decline has sped up the "going out of business" process. This map, put together by a Dead Malls Enthusiasts Facebook group, shows that well.

As Americans are faced with multiple shopping options and more stores are leaving malls, it should be interesting to see if malls and mall culture will survive.

What you are about to see is what happens when malls are abandoned. It's apocalyptic and really, really creepy."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/comp...bandoned-malls
The JL Hudson store was not a mall but it was a full city block and several stories. Perhaps one of the highest rated news segments in Detroit TV history was the implosion of the JL Hudson store. It is understandable since it is likely if you lived in Detroit, you shopped there at least once. I believe many people felt a piece of their life was lost in the implosion of the Hudson store.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:19 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Boca Town Center has 5 separate pay Valet parking sections. Anchored by Neiman Marcus, Saks, and Nordstrom, this mall is not going anywhere. We did lose the Sears, and the wing that it was in was definitely on the decline, but the other 80% is crazy.
I just threw away a blender I bought from that Sears over 30 years ago.

Glad to hear Boca Town Center still lives.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:25 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

We live in a growing area so most of the malls are doing OK. However, they did build two new monsters about 15 years ago. On one side of town, the new mall is struggling with many closed stores. On the other side of town, the new mall is doing well and has effectively killed the well established mall. The old one is headed for foreclosure. In the meantime, it is replacing stores with things like gyms.

Two well established malls with different stories. 1) Adapted and added a lot of restaurants with outside access. Also added a ring of marketplace. 2) Static, had a crime problem, and now is about to die. Too close to the new monster.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:39 PM   #51

We had a much beloved mall of 40+ years torn down, to be replaced by a Wal-Mart. They held an auction to sell off memorabilia from years past, and Santa's chair went for $2K. A huge inflatable snow globe that was always the centerpiece of the mall went for $1K. My first walking shoes came from there, my first prom dress, and my wedding dress all came from there. I used to push my kids around in a stroller there on crummy weather days. There's a Facebook group for it where people still discuss memories.

The newer, bigger better mall that was blamed for running this one out of business is now 25+ years old and struggling. Sears will soon create a vacancy, and there's regular reports of Saturday night fights after the movies let out. Yet across the street is a blocks long strip mall which seems to thrive. Very interesting what succeeds and what flops. Seems to change with the wind.

This site is pretty interesting: DeadMalls.com

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:51 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Our local mall. Cherry Creek Mall, in Denver is doing well enough to charge for parking.
Amazing. No way would I pay to park at a mall.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:59 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

One fairly close, which used to be one of “the” malls, is all but abandoned, and city officials are working to repurpose, i.e. convert to one more “town center”, which are already saturated enough that they’re cannibalizing each other.

A mall in Frisco, one of the next layers of exurbs, was very busy a couple of weekends ago when my SO and I attended a movie theater there.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:11 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

The malls here are bizarre. Tysons Corner has 2 malls that seem to be doing just fine, judging by the low vacancy: One that is busy and upscale, and another one that is even more expensive than that. The second mall is usually empty of people, because most people can't afford things there. I guess if they sell one $1,500 handbag or a single pair of $900 shoes in a day, they make a profit. Then there is the Pentagon City mall, across from the Pentagon. It seems to be a bit more affordable, and is quite busy. Further out from the District, some of the malls are struggling a bit more.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:15 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

After spending years on the list of Abandoned Malls of America, the local mall was bought up by a developer who tore most of it down, and has rebuilt it as a somewhat upscale shopping area. So far it seems to be working well.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #56

I've been visiting Honolulu's premier mall, Ala Moana Shopping Center, for more than 25 years. It's constantly being rebuilt, upgraded, with sections being torn down and rebuilt. Gone is Sears, but in its place, are two of four mid-size towers housing luxury apartments. Nordstrom built a store and parking garage, only to abandon it (now Target and a gym), and built a new store at the far end of the mall. The mall is almost always packed with locals an tourists. It thrives, and empty stores only stay that way during renovations. We have Norstrom, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Macy's, Sacks Fifth, and tons of botique clothing, jewelry, and shoe stores, along with dozens of restaurants.

All told, there are some 350 stores and restaurants. Only the subterranean Shirokya Village Walk (mostly Asian/Japanese food) has many empty spaces.

We also have a number of high-end tourist shopping centers and an outlet shopping center. Lowe's and Home Depot are doing well here. Retail isn't dead, but it is slowly withering in some of the state's smaller more local malls.

...and a brand new mall was just completed in Kapolei!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:33 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
It would be great if downtown could recover its old popularity and most people lived close enough to use active transportation to shop.
Two big problems with downtown shopping, although I prefer it anyway. Parking and crime. Seattle is actively trying to discourage cars coming into town, and if you do come parking is astronomically expensive. Crime varies, but there is too much of it for sure.

I ride the bus or if it's dry I walk And I keep my eyes open to try to avoid the other trouble. You aren't ever going to see me with with my ears clogged by earphones or earbuds. Except maybe at home in my living room.

Ha
Old 10-31-2018, 02:40 PM   #58

Yup, Malls are pretty much dead.... I have not been in one in years... My preferred shopping trip is on my couch with a glass of wine, surfing the net with my Laptop.

On-Line shopping has improved so much over the last 10 years, there is no advantage in leaving the Couch.... I buy Shoes at Shoe Buy... Free Shipping Both Ways (If you return them)... They always have what I want in my size.

Amazon now has a Warehouse here (Minneapolis Area) and I can order stuff and have it delivered in 2 hours.

That's progress and I'm glad to see the Malls go... Put up some great restaurants instead. The only Constant in this World is Change!
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:45 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
We had a much beloved mall of 40+ years torn down, to be replaced by a Wal-Mart. They held an auction to sell off memorabilia from years past, and Santa's chair went for $2K. A huge inflatable snow globe that was always the centerpiece of the mall went for $1K. My first walking shoes came from there, my first prom dress, and my wedding dress all came from there. I used to push my kids around in a stroller there on crummy weather days. There's a Facebook group for it where people still discuss memories.

The newer, bigger better mall that was blamed for running this one out of business is now 25+ years old and struggling. Sears will soon create a vacancy, and there's regular reports of Saturday night fights after the movies let out. Yet across the street is a blocks long strip mall which seems to thrive. Very interesting what succeeds and what flops. Seems to change with the wind.

This site is pretty interesting: DeadMalls.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Paramus, right? My guess is that part of their success is due to people coming in from NYC to buy clothing with zero sales tax. And, once you've made the trip, may as well have a meal and see what else is on offer.

Yep, you win the prize!

One of the 3 malls I mentioned had originally fallen into less-than-pristine shape, with a supposed anchor store of some schlock merchandise. The mall was basically torn down and replaced as an upscale outlet store; this is the one that is expanding by 60 stores or so. I go to it periodically, but only weekday mornings. It's way too crowded on weekends and definitely Christmas shopping season.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:52 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Amazing. No way would I pay to park at a mall.
They'd have to pay ME to go to a mall! This has been true for my entire life.

I don't shop. I buy. Before online shopping, I called, assured they had my item, drove to the store, bought the item, then came home. Why would I go to a mall, where I have no idea which entrance to park near, then wander around trying to find the store I needed, when I could simply pull-up to the store I wanted?
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote