Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2018, 04:17 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

about 3 years ago I went to the local Dick's Sporting Goods, and picked up 4 or 5 items. I went to the checkout line. They had 7 or 8 registers, only one open, and 15 of us in that line.
Then I hear from the check out girl, to the customer she was ringing out "Do you have a Dick's Card?", and she didn't but she wanted one so we all waited while the application process proceeded right then. I looked over at two managers who were folding sweaters and I said, in a rather loud voice, "Hey, how about opening another register?"

One of them responded, "we aren't allowed to until 5 PM". It was about 4:45, and I responded in even louder voice, "Well, you tell whoever made that decision that I can buy all of this online, and I will. See ya!", and I put all of the stuff down and walked out, and several other people did likewise.

I have not been back in that store since.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2018, 05:02 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

We stopped for lunch at the large outlet mall about 30 miles south of us a few weeks ago. Foot traffic on a weekday was typically light. But what surprised us was all Chinese language announcements/ads that played in between in 80’s music piped throughout the mall. DH said that apparently we were not the target market.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:04 PM   #63

1 mall dead (being demolished)
1 mall dying (lots of vacancies)
1 mall (the most upscale) doing OK
Old 10-31-2018, 05:59 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post

<snip>I have not been back in that store since.
And she probably would have been reprimanded (or worse) if she hadn't asked if they had the store credit card or if she'd opened another cash register 15 minutes early.

Way to empower your employees.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:10 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
They'd have to pay ME to go to a mall! This has been true for my entire life.

I don't shop. I buy. Before online shopping, I called, assured they had my item, drove to the store, bought the item, then came home. Why would I go to a mall, where I have no idea which entrance to park near, then wander around trying to find the store I needed, when I could simply pull-up to the store I wanted?
We must be twins
Old 11-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #66
Dryer sheet aficionado

We used to enjoy hanging out at out mall. The highlight of the day was going to the Harvest House cafeteria and picking out our meal. Over time the bad neighborhoods expanded ever closer to the mall. Muggings and car thefts became common. Police “substation” booths were set-up in the parking lot. Gangs roved inside the mall and harassed patrons. Everyone I know stopped going, the mall died, and it was eventually bulldozed over.

A newer, “fancy” mall was built in a lower crime area. I go once a year to watch people and maybe grab a few Christmas gifts. But really there is little in this mall of interest to me. Swarovski Crystal, Louis Vuitton purses, expensive pen or sock stores and the like have nothing for me. These massively over-priced single vendor/product stores are the bulk of the stores in our mall. And NONE of the stores offer clothes for a heavier than normal body.

Ehhh. I miss the malls of the past but life changes.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
We just came back from our local mall. A sad and upsetting scene. the huge parking lot which had room for thousands of cars was empty except for 7 trucks and maybe 75 cars. From 125 stores, down to 8 or 10 smaller stores... gone are Sears, Penneys, and Bergners (BonTon) the anchors. Marshalls is the only semi large store, and the movie theater are the only 2 general draws.
The interior has been well maintained, and the mall is still heated and air conditioned.
The other major feature is rather sad... open for seniors walking, and one semi-large store turned into a function room for the local hospital. Tai Chi classes and health presentations... in use about 7 hours a week.

There are two other shopping centers with multiple stores... one headed by Walmart, and the other by Target. The multiple stores in these centers seem to be doing well, so the semi metro area that these centers serve... (est. 60,000 homes in a 35 mile radius.) keep our town as a "center".

What happens next? The mall is 465,000 square ft. and sure to be empty within a year or two.

So, that's the sad tale from our town. What is happening to the mall nearest to you? Still operating? anchors? # of stores still in business? Alternate uses? torn down? And what of the shopping habits of the area residents. Alternate malls? Shopping centers?

Of course Amazon... but what else is there to take up the slack? Have some of the larger stores, like our Menards changed or added to the kinds of merchandise that they formerly carried? Like a limited grocery or clothing section. In a relatively short time... maybe 10 years, the face of retailing in the U.S. has changed dramatically. What will happen to all the acreage that formerly housed what used to be part of our lives.

I know this has been discussed before, but think it would be interesting to get an update from different locations.
This is the same situation on Maui. Our local malls are struggling. Not surprising. Most people buy from Amazon, Walmart, or Target.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #68

We have an outlet mall near Fairfield , they have a gimmick they run a bus from the airport to the mall . lots of the people at the mall are Chinese . They tell us they can't buy this stuff in China ….Ha that is where it is made . But overall the mall is declining .
We know the guy who runs the Timex store , he tells us that the rent keeps going up and up.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #69

Farmer’s markets ^^^
Malls ¥¥¥
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
We have an outlet mall near Fairfield , they have a gimmick they run a bus from the airport to the mall . lots of the people at the mall are Chinese . They tell us they can't buy this stuff in China ….Ha that is where it is made . But overall the mall is declining .
We know the guy who runs the Timex store , he tells us that the rent keeps going up and up.
Bold is mine.

Having hosted dozens of Chinese groups, for Megacorp, and having traveled to China dozens of times, it amazes me the things we take for granted, that ARE made in China, that they have no access to. Every single visitor that I have hosted has spent at least $100, and more commonly close to $500 (or more) on things made in China. Jeans, backpacks, tents, vitamins/supplements, electronics (computers, phones). I have walked thru the stores over there. The local products are even more inferior than what we get, and the name brands are twice the price.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #71

This is true a business friend told me that these products are built stuck on a container and they never see it .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
A view from outside the country
Old 11-14-2018, 11:09 PM   #72
Confused about dryer sheets

A view from outside the country

In Colombia (specifically I know Medellin) there are large fancy malls spaced about a mile apart, some even closer. There are so many you can't even count them. People go there in droves to hang out, have their kids play in the lovely play areas, of course there are lots of retail shops and restaurants.

The reason for all the malls, beside the obvious growing middle class there? There is no mass market delivery system. There is no postal service. (Think about that... it is really strange, bills are often hand delivered by small services and either slipped under your door or given to the "porteria".) If you ship something to Colombia it will be delivered by the likes of DHL but it is super expensive. There is no regular first class mail service. Uber, however, is everywhere! Amazon would have a very hard time operating there. It's a prime market ready for exploitation but there would be a lot of ground work to be done. Anyway, unless you want something delivered, it's kind of nice to have so many choices for shopping and browsing in a beautiful space; a little bit of nostalgia. :-)
vipogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:49 AM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Today I went to Kohls to pick up something I had ordered online from them, it's close so I can't justify the $8 shipping for 1 item. (shipping would be free if it cost over $50).
So I see in the shopping center, the Lowes is still empty for about 10 years now since they left, and a Starbucks left last year, along with an eyeglass store. Really there is only Kohl's there in the entire shopping center.

Later in day I go get groceries, in this strip mall, 3 or 4 of the small stores out of 5 are empty, everyone just goes to the grocery store.