Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2018, 04:01 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I called one of the anchor stores at the mall near me to ask what time they opened. They replied, "What time can you get here?"

Just kidding, but it's not too far from the truth. The malls are simply dying out. If it wasn't for the seniors walking in the mornings the foot traffic would be cut in half.

Honestly, I try to patronize the brick and mortar stores, but much of the time they're out of what I want, so they offer to order it for me. It would only take a week or two. Hmph! Amazon will have it on my doorstep in two days at a cheaper price, and if it doesn't fit I can mail it back for free.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2018, 04:29 PM   #22

I live a few blocks from a mall that sits on the Pacific Ocean and is a major draw for tourists. Several excellent restaurants, 12 theater multiplex,bowling ally etc. lot's of high end shopping, but more of an entertainment destination.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Larcomar.jpg (78.0 KB, 35 views)
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:23 PM   #23

We just moved to a small town where the mall had already nearly collapsed. The movie theater is still there and about the only retailer that interests me. The library has taken some space. And a fitness center has taken a large space.

The shopping center is such a bad idea, I am glad it is in decline. It encourages nearly everyone who wants to shop, to drive. It encourages pollution by driving and the leakage of oil from parked cars, too much concrete for parking, often difficult for workers to get to their jobs (they often live in less expensive areas), and more.

It would be great if downtown could recover its old popularity and most people lived close enough to use active transportation to shop.

Perhaps most of you would disagree but this would be my hope for shopping.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:44 PM   #24

Lakewood Mall is usually pretty packed, and rarely has any vacancies that I notice. I do my walking there on those rare occasions when Southern California weather get severe (like a quarter inch of rain).
Old 10-30-2018, 09:07 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I seldom go to a mall. And when I do it is usually under duress.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Doing OK. Not packed, not empty.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:05 PM   #27
gone traveling

Our local mall. Cherry Creek Mall, in Denver is doing well enough to charge for parking.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:42 PM   #28

My local mall Poughkeepsie Galleria seems to pretty busy, parking lots are almost always full. When I have to go to the Apple store I have to go to the mall in Danbury CT, my god that place is mobbed every single day.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:50 PM   #29

I quoted (and did) a TI demo job in the local mall. I had a hard time finding the right space to meet the estimator as there was so much being redone. Estimator said 54 spaces being redone. This mall does have a Sears. I think this one is closing.

There is a mall across town in the same era that looks like a ghost town. Mid week afternoon and it is dead. They do have some good retailers (REI, Nordstroms, Macy's, etc) but they have not kept up the energy that the 1st mall has.

So 50% from my experience
Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:54 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Our local mall. Cherry Creek Mall, in Denver is doing well enough to charge for parking.
?? wow. just wow.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:00 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
We just moved to a small town where the mall had already nearly collapsed. The movie theater is still there and about the only retailer that interests me. The library has taken some space. And a fitness center has taken a large space.

The shopping center is such a bad idea, I am glad it is in decline. It encourages nearly everyone who wants to shop, to drive. It encourages pollution by driving and the leakage of oil from parked cars, too much concrete for parking, often difficult for workers to get to their jobs (they often live in less expensive areas), and more.

It would be great if downtown could recover its old popularity and most people lived close enough to use active transportation to shop.

Perhaps most of you would disagree but this would be my hope for shopping.
I agree with the sentiment. When I moved to the small town, from which I recently moved, it still had some nice stores "downtown". I moved there in '77, and the local mall, which is now in serious decline, was new, up and coming, and eventually suffocated the local stores, which either closed up entirely, or moved to the mall.
As much as I agree with your sentiment, the decline of the mall has not spurred a resurgence downtown. As others have pointed out, the decline seems to be from the decline of the big chain anchor stores, like JC Penney, Sears, etc, and the smaller chains have moved to the strip malls.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:28 AM   #32

33 years ago I moved to my current residence here in northern New Jersey, and I would describe it as a shopper's mecca. Surprisingly, it still is. There are 3 brick and mortar malls within a handful of miles of each other, and a slew of shopping centers. One of those malls recently announced an expansion to add something like 60 (not a typo) additional stores.

At least in my neck of the woods it appears brick and mortar is alive and well.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:48 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

In the nearest city to us, one mall seems to be doing well, although there are a couple of vacant storefronts. the second mall has been shut down for several years. It has two anchor stores left but they blocked off their entrances via the mall years ago. There has been a lot of debate about what to do with that site. My guess is that it will be demolished and apartments/condos will be built.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:54 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

No malls with in 4 hours from me. The small western town I live in are closing stores all the time. I don't beleive I could buy a shirt here if I wanted too. Stores brick/mortar are disappearing here left and right.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:25 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Boca Town Center has 5 separate pay Valet parking sections. Anchored by Neiman Marcus, Saks, and Nordstrom, this mall is not going anywhere. We did lose the Sears, and the wing that it was in was definitely on the decline, but the other 80% is crazy.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:42 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Nearest mall to us is 75 miles away and the population of that town is less than 50k. I'm guessing the mall has enough room for about 30 stores but only 8 to 10 are open and operating. JCP is still there and one or two other recognizable brand names. All are clothing stores of one sort or another except for one of the chain eyeglasses stores.

It is odd to see the parking lots are 70+% full but the mall is almost empty. Maybe there are using it as a park and ride for the local college which is only a few miles away.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:46 AM   #37

Since I live in Bloomington MN the Mall of America is the closest mall and it is doing well. The city council is about to approve a $250 million water park addition.
I grew up with the Southdale mall. (Edina MN) My great uncle was one of the developers and it was the first enclosed shopping mall that was anchored by competitors, Dayton's and Donaldson's. Dayton's became Macy's which is still there. The Donaldson's space was taken over by Marshall's and the JC Penny space, which was added during the 60's, is now becoming a Life time fitness.
The last time I was at Southdale it was a ghost town compared to the MOA.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:54 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

No change here, mostly a continuation of the trends we've seen for the last 10-20 years. High end malls seem to do fine, and outlet malls are busy, but the middle tier malls continue to lose ground all around us (to online and Walmart/Costco/etc.). We stopped going to the local mall years ago, and several other malls nearby have closed, one even bulldozed. The local mall is a hangout for teenagers and young parents, the only seniors we see there are walkers who aren't spending money.

30-40 years ago we used to go to a mall almost every weekend as part of our Saturday ritual, but that was before online became a real presence. We don't miss malls at all, nor Sears, Penney or any of the mid level department stores. I'll still shop at Nordstroms occasionally, but I can't remember the last time I bought anything from any other department store. Shoes are about the only thing left I hesitate to buy online, that a department store would have. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:57 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I can't even tell you how the malls in my area are doing- the last one I visited was 2 years ago, to get what I wanted at a specialty stationery store. This is shop-till-you-drop country (Overland Park, KS) and there were plenty of high-end names but it was pretty dead. One cosmetic place had an employee standing by the door, frantically trying to engage me in a conversation about my earrings, hoping, I'm sure, to draw me in.

I take my granddaughter to Merle Hay Mall in Des Moines- it's anchored by Target, which is doing well, but I can't say the same about the mall. She likes playing on the coin-operated cars, planes, etc. and then we get ice cream or Starbucks (she likes their cake pops). We rarely buy anything there other than food. Many stores are closing, some are empty, some replaced by seasonal businesses, some replaced by non-stores such as a gymnastics school and a place with a lot of bouncy houses.

Thinking about why I personally don't go to malls: first, I don't spend what I used to on Stuff. The clothes are typically all cheap stuff made in China and many are made for twenty-somethings and would look silly on me even though I'm in better shape than many twenty-somethings. I also want to go to the store that has what I want, get in and get out. Shopping is not a hobby for me.

Here's an interesting site that shows malls years after they've closed.

DeadMalls.com
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:11 AM   #40

Our mall is doing OK for a small town. We never go except occasionally to Barnes & Noble, which is an anchor by the main entrance. But I'm told that it's completely occupied (no vacant stores). The parking lot is never as full as it was back in the 80s and 90s, but it's typically at 20-50%. The major anchors are all still there except Sears which just closed last month, as expected. The restaurants around the perimeter of the parking lot all do quite well. We go to two of them somewhat regularly.

I'm not a big "shopper," although DW is. It's one of her hobbies. She prefers places like Belk, Bealls, and Target. She also likes the Marketplace concept and occasionally the upscale malls in Dallas that are thriving. I prefer to buy everything on Amazon. The only B&M stores I go to are Home Depot and Lowes.

Maybe Amazon can buy up these malls and convert them to some combination of quick-delivery mini warehouse, drive-through pick-up, locker pick-up, drone base, driverless Uber hub, etc.