Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Your Most Expired Food Item
Old 08-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Your Most Expired Food Item

Just found a container of lemon juice in the fridge that expired in July 09. Can you do better?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just ate a can of soup last week that was dated 2007. Forget the exact date.

Chocolate "Waifa" bar in the fridge from a trip to London has a date of 12 Aug 87. Probably a few others like that but with date codes that would require deciphering.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

A few years ago, we participated in a 'Christmas in April' event where we cleaned out the packed basement of an elderly man's home, his wife had just passed away recently. Evidently she was a hoarder, and we found not one but a whole shelf of home canned (Mason jars) veggies marked 1956. Couldn't even tell what was in them, the contents were almost black though the seals may have been intact.

Sorry but true, that may end this thread...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

A couple of months ago I discovered a jar of plum jam my MIL had put up, dated 1988. It was excellent.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #5

A brisket in the bottom of the freezer dated Dec 2002. Found it when prepping to move.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The slightly "iffy" milk that made me sick a week or two ago, wasn't even expired. It was just enough off that I didn't want to drink it straight, so I put it on my oatmeal. Never again.

I have nothing that is expired, that I know of.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

As a follow up question, I would like to know how it all tasted.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Just had a Dannon fat free yogurt with June 30th sell by date from our fridge (hmm - I hope it was this year). Tasted fine. I will let you know if any symptoms emerge...
Grainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #9

Found a can of pumpkin in the cupboard with a 2006 date on it. Don't know how it tasted because it went out with the trash this morning.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #10

My mom was someone who could never through any food out. So I grew up paranoid that she had snuck rotten food into our meals.  I had molded bread for my school lunch sandwiches more than once. Once I saw that she was fixing egg salad with opened unrefrigerated mayo that had expired 2 years before.  I had to tell my kids not to eat it. For this reason, there is no way I keep expired food in my house.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The slightly "iffy" milk that made me sick a week or two ago, wasn't even expired. It was just enough off that I didn't want to drink it straight, so I put it on my oatmeal. Never again.

I have nothing that is expired, that I know of.
That's the worse smell in the world, outdated milk. I love fat free milk and drink a big glass every night with my medications before bed. If I find the milk is starting to sour and the expiration date is still in the future, I take it back to the store and get a fresh gallon. At $4/gal, I'm not throwing it out. When I buy milk, I always look for the expiration date furthest in the future.

W2R, how did you stand that sour milk on your oatmeal? Yuk!
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
That's the worse smell in the world, outdated milk. I love fat free milk and drink a big glass every night with my medications before bed. If I find the milk is starting to sour and the expiration date is still in the future, I take it back to the store and get a fresh gallon. At $4/gal, I'm not throwing it out. When I buy milk, I always look for the expiration date furthest in the future.

W2R, how did you stand that sour milk on your cereal? Yuk!
It was only a little "iffy", not sour! I wouldn't drink sour milk.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

We moved out three weeks ago. In the process of going thru our cupboards we found MANY cans from the mid-nineties. Some of them with swollen tops. To the trash they went!
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

One time I took a can of refried beans to the house of my Italian in-laws (in Italy). I asked for a can opener, and they had to go digging in the basement to find one they had received as a gift. They have never purchased a can of food of any type in their lives. They jar their own tomatoes and freeze vegetables, so I'm sure they have some mystery veggies in the freezer from 1992. However, the fact that they lived without cans really sticks with me.
Pajaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I cleaned up my pantry last year and found a 7 year old can of green beans.

My grandmother was a hoarder and when we visited she would give us decade(s)-old candy bars. The milk chocolate was white and crystalline, but they still tasted OK.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Every year I replenish my canned goods, in preparation for hurricane season. Throughout the year, I rotate the older ones to the front as I use them. So, none of my canned goods are expired.

I just went through everything, and found that I DO have something that is expired - - my ketchup, which was to be used by May, 2010. I almost never use ketchup (not being Texan! ), so I will toss it and not buy another.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

It was only a little "iffy", not sour! I wouldn't drink sour milk.
Are you sure it was what caused the problems?

Once I drank a big glass of milk very fast, and didn't realize it was sour until I'd ingested a lot. To be safe, I took some syrup of ipecac. I took it and expected to throw up right away, but it took over 20 minutes IIRC.

Bottom line, I think the effects of the ipecac were worse than what the milk would have done. I probably overreacted -- I think I was curious about how ipecac worked.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I think I was curious about how ipecac worked.
Well, I bet you're glad you got that out of your system...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Well, I bet you're glad you got that out of your system...
Bet he was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Are you sure it was what caused the problems?.
Not really. It could have been stomach flu, heat, or who knows what. I threw out the milk anyway, just to play it safe, and stayed home in the A/C and rested just in case it was something else. The reason I thought it was the milk, was that I got better so quickly.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I moved into my aunt's old house in 2003 and still haven't gone through her pantry. Maybe I will make it a nice even 10 years and do in 2013. I'll let you know what I find.