Your most outrageous bucket list item fulfilled?

Hey, I made it to 187 mph (300 kph) land speed without even trying - that was pretty good!

Here you go: Usfra home page although for 57 MPH, you can probably find someplace closer to home:D

She wrote back to me promptly, very nice lady. Unfortunately our timing is all wrong, it will be too wet in May to do a speed test. Maybe we'll make it back there in the summer sometime. Thanks for the help, though! :D

....but at least I got to do it for six years with most of the time spent at 500' :)

2nkszg5.jpg

You flew Recce's at Bergstrom AFB, with the 67th? What years? I was a weapons technician
there with the 924th Wing (AFRES/AFRC) between 1981 & 1996. I worked F-4D, F-4E & F-16's. I got a backseat ride in a D model F-4 once, it was great! :dance: I loved the Austin area & really didn't want to leave, but the base & my unit got BRAC'd & I had to relocate.

Last edited:
Retiring to Hawaii at 40.
Flying to Oshkosh, (during the annual airshow it is the busiest airport in the world).
I am only one state short of going to all 50. I just can't get enthused about Mississippi.

Top of my bucket list
Is flying in space.

I dunno, bucket list seems so morbid. After 20 years of dealing with life actuaries, I have had enough morbid.

I purposely did not set any stretch goals early in ESR. I figure quitting my job at age 40 was good enough. The most exotic thing I can come up with at the moment is to go hog hunting for wild boar. The are not where I am (although I understand the nasty buggers are now in southeast CO, ugh), and I think it would be a challenge. And then there is elk hunting, but that will require the right tag and a guide.

Outrageous... not sure but, reached reasonable FI via rentals a few years ago in the Midwest.

Moved to CA last year, higher cost of living to experience more life and higher technology job for OMJ (one more job) syndrome.

Seriously looking at buying a 2014 Corvette Stingray, close to pulling the trigger =) Not sure if this is a midlife issue turning 45 this year, but always wanted one when I was younger and I think I'll enjoy it. Dealers are asking over MSRP, so frugal self is waiting.

Hey, I made it to 187 mph (300 kph) land speed without even trying - that was pretty good!

Was that in France on the TGV or Channel Tunnel. They do that every day. Now once you get to England things slow down greatly. (They don't have a dedicated track like the French have built).

Reaching FIRE in my 30s has been my most "outrageous" accomplishment so far.

My next "outrageous" goal is to buy a piece of property in California.

Reaching FIRE in my 30s has been my most "outrageous" accomplishment so far.

My next "outrageous" goal is to buy a piece of property in California.

Of my three big goals I have been stalled for a good while (I have young kids).

Go to all 7 continents (South America and Antarctica remain)
Go to all 50 states (Alaska and N. Dakota remain)

I haven't been to all 7 yet. But, I have been on 2 continents at the same time. :whistle:

Was that in France on the TGV or Channel Tunnel. They do that every day. Now once you get to England things slow down greatly. (They don't have a dedicated track like the French have built).
Yep close - Thalys between Brussels and Amsterdam. If we hadn't been running a GPS track, we wouldn't have believed it. It was so smooth. But it kept accelerating and accelerating, and accelerating....... wow!

To answer the OP's question : buying RVs, refurbishing them as mobile clinics and sending them to Central America to see patients.

You flew Recce's at Bergstrom AFB, with the 67th? What years? I got a backseat ride in a D model F-4 once, it was great! :dance: .

Yes, '77-'79. Always enjoyed giving backseat rides but as you know, it was highly regulated by the powers that be. Glad you got one!

Yep close - Thalys between Brussels and Amsterdam. If we hadn't been running a GPS track, we wouldn't have believed it. It was so smooth. But it kept accelerating and accelerating, and accelerating....... wow!

The TGV we took between Avignon and Nice did not seem that fast, although I did not know the exact speed. I think the speed depends on the route or the track they travel on.

And the night trains we took from Nice to Rome, or Venice to Paris were normal trains, and they seemed to take their time as they had all night to make the trip; I guess passengers would not appreciate being dumped at the destination in the early AM hours.

The TGV we took between Avignon and Nice did not seem that fast, although I did not know the exact speed. I think the speed depends on the route or the track they travel on.

The TGV can only go full speed on dedicated high speed tracks. The high speed track between Avignon and Marseille opened circa 2001. The high speed track between Marseille and Nice is scheduled to open circa 2020.

I haven't been to all 7 yet. But, I have been on 2 continents at the same time. :whistle:

Where? How?

In the South Urals region of Russia, at one of the continental divide monuments like this one outside Yekaterinberg (see #12).

Most amazing international border photos which you haven't seen yet - Knolzone

It's somewhat of a tradition for married couples to go there after the wedding and straddle the border. So, one typically sees a pair of newlyweds there, bridal gown, tux and all, straddling the border and doing a vodka shot or drinking champagne.

My ex-girlfriend ran the Istanbul marathon, in which they cross the Bosporus bridge connecting Asia and Europe and allow pedestrians. I don't remember if they have a specific line but I pretty sure I had a foot in each continent at one point.

Left my marriage of 26 years in pursuit of happiness. It was far tougher than I could have imagined. All the death-defying stunts pale in comparison to that one!

Back
Top Bottom