Join Early Retirement Today

Your Opinion on a Neighbor Issues
Old 04-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Your Opinion on a Neighbor Issues

I would like your opinion of a few minor neighbor issues. Living in town is a pain for me but my wife is a town type person.

1#>>I have a neighbor that has underground sprinklers and the water hits my house and windows on the bedroom side of the home. If there is a breeze the wind carriers it and mists more then sprays. I have talked to him many times and he understands, he gets and he says he cares, but nothing changes and has continued for years. What would you do

2#>>I also have a neighbor that has up to 3 cats and they poop in my garden, wife flower pots, in the yard. It has been going on for many years and I just clean it up. I haven't talked to them about it. What I have been doing is picking it up and throwing it over the fence on his property. I know it isn't right either but if I have to clean up everyday they can too.

Please let me know if I'm out of line and what would you do or thin of me doing what I have done with throwing to poop our the fence. By the way it is there cats I set up cameras and there is no questions about identity.

Any suggestions on the sprinkler issue would be very helpful also. I also would say these are good people and are responsible in the community but lack for others property the way it seems.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2021, 04:51 PM   #2

For the cat issue, I would go over and tell them about it ONE TIME. Then I would set out live traps like the Havahart brand (actually Northern Tool has them much, much cheaper for the same thing) and take the cat to the animal shelter. I would do that two or three times, then just shoot the cat. Well, maybe. Hopefully after two or three times the cat would prove himself smarter than the owner, figure it out, and go someplace else.

For the sprinkler issue, is it really doing anything damaging or is it just annoying? In either event I would tell the guy. Every. Single. Day. It happens. If it doesn't sink in after a week or so, call a lawyer if you're prepared to go that far. But I learned a long time ago, do not make threats you are not willing and able to follow through on.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:52 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Any suggestions on the sprinkler issue would be very helpful also. I also would say these are good people and are responsible in the community but lack for others property the way it seems.
I moved out of the city because of these type of annoyances years ago... There seems to always be at least one ****** per block in the city. I'd probably talk them them again. If that didn't work is there a Home Owners assoc you can contact? If not maybe another fence would help if that's possible. Actually, I think in Texas that might be a technical violation under the trespassing laws... Not sure what the laws are in other countries,,,, I mean states.

Cat problems, well no doubt I'd offend someone if I gave you my first solution so, maybe a big dog would help keep them away.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
For the cat issue, I would go over and tell them about it ONE TIME. Then I would set out live traps like the Havahart brand (actually Northern Tool has them much, much cheaper for the same thing) and take the cat to the animal shelter. I would do that two or three times, then just shoot the cat. Well, maybe. Hopefully after two or three times the cat would prove himself smarter than the owner, figure it out, and go someplace else.
I hope you are kidding...

Ok my turn:
Sprinklers. I mean wind moves the water, what can you do? Not water the lawn? Is there a compromise on time of day so it doesn't disturb you while you are in the bedroom?

Cats. Cats gonna cat. Many people, especially in more suburban and rural areas, have cats that spend time outdoors. As much as that terrifies me, because of the risks to the cat, you can't usually take an adult cat that's used to being outdoors and confine them happily indoors. Now, there might be some plants you could use that they'd rather not visit your yard, or spray some Feliway around the flower pots which might make them less likely to use those?

Cat poop is a lot smaller and generally buried, far better than a visiting dog. Cats love loose sandy dirt. Maybe spray a water hose and shoe them off?
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

^ I dislike town living but I'm here. I would give anything too live at the ranch fulltime but my wife doesn't care for that.

Walt34 >> I have used motion lights and still one up in the garden area. I have thought about placing a cage trap in back of pickup put a can of sardines in the cage. In the morning if the door is down drive off and get rid of those cats. No one would see the trap or see it setup for a catch. No carrying it with a cat in it etc.. Lol

I wouldn't do that but I believe it would work like a charm. Lol
Old 04-05-2021, 05:02 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I would put some plants between the sprinkler head and my house. They should do well with all the water they'd get.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:04 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

1. Regarding the sprinkler, could you plant some tall plants or hedges that would deflect some of the water? Figure out where the sprinkler head is and strategically place your plant. The extra bonus for you is the plant will get watered for free.

2. You have to understand something about cats. Cats are either indoor cats or outdoor cats. If it's an outdoor cat then there is little the owner can do to control where the cat poops short of putting up a 6 ft chain link fence.

Honestly, both of your issues would burn me up too. But that's life when you live in the city.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:19 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had a problem with a feral cat who used our bird bath for a dinner source. I used a simple electric fence charger (like this one), and ran a wire 4" above the ground, around the area I was protecting. I cut some short pieces of pvc pipe for "fence posts". Voila! No cat. It's a good solution, because it's cheap, you don't hurt any animals (it's a startling shock, but doesn't hurt), and you don't have to deal with any trapped animals. That was last year, and I only needed to use the fence for a few weeks, and I haven't seen the cat since.
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:26 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Keep in mind the cats might be keeping the mice population down. Beware The Law of Unintended Consequences.

And be glad you aren't in a drought stricken area where watering lawns will soon be a thing of the past. Anyone from the state of Arid Zone Ah care to chime in?

We have a similar neighbor where I live. She thinks the humans in the neighborhood should adjust to her dog's anti-social behavior. Her dog charges you, barking, growling and baring its teeth when you walk past her house? Well.... don't walk past her house.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:38 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Some great ideas and thanks!
As far as a hedge I had one there was about 3 feet high. I kept it well groomed and looked nice. A few years ago it started to die a plant here and a plant there. I took the plant in and they said it was killed by spray. This neighbor is a spray freak and a yard freak. I'm sure he killed them because he would spray right by them all the time. So, I pulled them all out now there is no boundary structure at all.

The cat gay seems to be realizing that I'm throw his cat poop over the fence thou. It has gotten better but will continue to throw it over and maybe that farm cat needs to be on a farm.

The sprinkler dude always say he get it and I understand, but nothing changes like turning down the distance on those couple of heads and when he waters. Evenings there is seldom a breeze and that area he could sprinkle in the evenings. He says he cares but nothing changes. Lol

I really don't care for town living but it is what it is.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:51 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Keep in mind the cats might be keeping the mice population down. Beware The Law of Unintended Consequences.

And be glad you aren't in a drought stricken area where watering lawns will soon be a thing of the past. Anyone from the state of Arid Zone Ah care to chime in?
We also have wandering cats, rabbits, javelina, and coyotes. The cats keep the mice and lizards at bay, and the coyotes keep the cats and rabbits at bay. The javelina travel in packs and it is quite the site to see them eating the flowers.

Oh, you meant someone from AZ should comment about watering lawns. We water at both our houses. Mostly plants, since we don't really use the lawn much anymore. Plenty of green. Phoenix has so much water that they have been recharging the aquifer for years. It is a common misconception that we are running out of water. That said, many people are removing lawns because it does cost a lot to use a lot of water and no one likes to mow in the summer. Many just put in a pool instead!
AZ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:39 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I would put some plants between the sprinkler head and my house. They should do well with all the water they'd get.
sprinkler heads can be aimed, adjusted and swapped out to provide different types of watering...spray, mist, stream, etc. maybe suggest that to the neighhbor.

as for the cat...you best check the local ordinances regarding nuisance straying animals for a solution and if talking with the owner goes nowhere you might just have to come up with a way to discourage the cat or live with it.

i would urge you not to remove or harm the animals in any way. during my career with 9-1-1 i've seen these disputes between neighbors start out with something very minor escalate into violence in the blink of an eye. and for all you know you may be annoying in some way to those same neighbors.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:48 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would definitely address the sprinkler issue. Water constantly hitting your house can cause damage over time. Alert him again and mention that if it isn't repaired in a reasonable time period (30 days perhaps), you're going to have to take further action. And I would do it in writing so you create a paper trail. At a bare minimum, start a log documenting when you spoke to him.
It should be a simple matter of him having his lawn guy come out and adjust the sprinkler head. Heck, if you know who handles his landscaping, you could even call them yourself and complain. Maybe that's the answer. Ask him for the name and number of his provider and then give them a call.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

^ some great advise and I totally agree.

He would water every evening when there is no wind and adjust heads but that hasn't happened.

My hose might just wash his windows everyday he waters. Lol
Old 04-05-2021, 07:50 PM   #15

Welcome to the city! Unfortunately, my experience is that, at best, you can work around the edges on things like this. Neighbors either care or they don’t. Your neighbor with the sprinkler doesn’t care or just doesn’t know how to resolve the issue. If you’re still on speaking terms, you might try asking if they need some help with that and just try to take “ownership” of that (those) sprinkler heads. Otherwise, thankfully, it’s just water. Though it would drive me crazy too.

As for the cat owner, as was said, cats are cats. It’s rude of the owner, but even if you make them aware, what could they do. Their only option is making them indoor cats and that’s not going to happen. Not sure about the electrical fence but basically, you need to find a deterrent. At least it’s not a raccoon. I have deer, rabbits and raccoons crapping on my property. I used to live in the country and now I live more in the city, but we’re near a creek. I see more wildlife now than I ever did in the country. Deer are like having a damn big dog crapping on your lawn and raccoon scat is downright disgusting. I guess I’m just saying, I understand but it could be worse. Some things just come with the territory. Wish you the best in your adjustment. Hint: Spend more time at the ranch.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi View Post
2. You have to understand something about cats. Cats are either indoor cats or outdoor cats. If it's an outdoor cat then there is little the owner can do to control where the cat poops short of putting up a 6 ft chain link fence. ...
Cats will be cats, but those cats have owners, and the owner needs to take responsibility for them. If the owner wants cats, he/she needs to keep them on his/her property. They don't get to push their desire to own outside cats on their neighbors, that's just wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi View Post
1. Regarding the sprinkler, could you plant some tall plants or hedges that would deflect some of the water? Figure out where the sprinkler head is and strategically place your plant. The extra bonus for you is the plant will get watered for free.
Again, this is the neighbor's responsibility. He/she should not be spraying anything on OP's property.

I would not trap the cats, too many ways that could back-fire on the OP.

A couple ideas, if checking with authorities and another talk gets you nowhere:

A) Sprinklers - find out what music your neighbor hates. Set up a moisture detector (during times when no rain is predicted) that would trigger a loudspeaker directed at his house. Operant conditioning works!

B) If you think the neighbor has noticed that you are throwing their cat poop into their yard, kick it up a notch and make sure the poop lands on their windows, cars, etc.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:08 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
... As for the cat owner, as was said, cats are cats. It’s rude of the owner, but even if you make them aware, what could they do. Their only option is making them indoor cats and that’s not going to happen. ....
That is ridiculous. That cat owner doesn't get to decide what other people have to put up with.

If the OP decided to buy a dog that liked to chase cats and rip them to shreds, and told the cat owner that it's an outside dog, and might wander into the cat owners' yard and kill his cat, but, you know, "dogs will be dogs", would that be OK? No, of course not.

Ridiculous.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:19 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The dog thing will work. There is a fence as described where the cat feces is flung over. Just add a dog on your side of the fence and I don't think cats will be a problem after that.

But then you will have to deal with the dog doo in your yard...

Cats? Where are the cats? I like to chase cats...

RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
That is ridiculous. That cat owner doesn't get to decide what other people have to put up with.

-ERD50
Notice my opening comment. They either care or they don't. Personally, I think they don't care and the effort to make them care is more trouble than it's worth. What are you going to do? Any effort like calling the authorities is going to cause such turmoil that one really has to balance that with the benefit it may derive but probably won't. I'm not saying it's right, but as a practical, matter, people are so inconsiderate you'd be at war with half the neighborhood. I just find that more stressful than it's worth. YMMV.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

I would not trap the cats, too many ways that could back-fire on the OP.

Despite being located in the shadows of Chicago's skyline, we have a lot of wildlife cruising our place. I've trapped and moved dozens and dozens of raccoons, opossums, woodchucks, squirrels, chipmunks and even a few skunks. DW is an avid bird feeder and her feeding areas are the places they frequent most.

DW took exception to two outdoor cats who, daytime, grew to consider her feeding areas as "cat feeding stations" and were enjoying munching down on some of DW's favorite feathered friends. I just switched baits to a more cat-friendly variety, caught both cats several times and gave them a pretty good harassing while they were in the trap and we saw a whole lot less of them. We do see that they still infrequently pass through at night on DW's trail-cam. But, no feeding birds for them to feast on after dark.

I certainly wouldn't even mention the cat trapping to the owner. Just make the cat's trap-time a memorable experience for it through a little harmless harassment like turning on the sprinkler, and then just let it go.