Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2021, 09:16 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What a cool idea, OP! People are “hungry” for the authentic. And you’ve clearly hit a home run by crowdsourcing this intel from the forum. I’m sure we all hope you’ll make your map available and updatable somehow.

If no one has mentioned it yet, the Southern Foodways Alliance is a terrific resource. https://www.southernfoodways.org/
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2021, 09:19 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Wagon Wheel in Needles CA doesn't seem to have their own website so here's the yelp link:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/wagon-wheel-restaurant-needles

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:54 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm working on a google map showing all posted places. should have something in a few hrs.

ETA - Here's a map. I'll try to keep it updated as other places are posted

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...Kg&usp=sharing
Thanks for that Ronstar
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:32 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's my top-of-mind Baker's Dozen top 5 must-stop places (in no particular order):
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:42 AM   #45

While it’s not really a restaurant (it’s a gas station/bakery), Hruska’s on Hwy 71 in Ellinger, TX has some of the best Kolaches anywhere. My favorite is the sausage, cheese and jalapeńo. If you’re driving by, it’s definitely worth a stop.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:11 AM   #46

On a related note, every 'official' DD&D place we have ever visited has been fantastic. Here's a link to the show's list of DD&D's, broken out by state if you scroll down just a bit:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/restaura...-ins-and-dives
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:15 AM   #47

Another great BBQ place I always stop at is Dinosaur Bar-b-que in Syracuse NY.

They have a few other locations, but I've only been to the one in Rochester, which is also excellent.

https://www.dinosaurbarbque.com
Old 10-22-2021, 01:37 PM   #48

I know W2R isn't posting so much right now, and I've been away from New Orleans for a while, but there is simply no better town in the world for foodies.

2 of my regular spots:
https://salvosseafood.com/
In Belle Chasse before you get to the Naval Air Station. As you eat lunch, the shrimp guys are bringing in more freshly caught shrimp. So good!!! And inexpensive!

https://www.rockyandcarlosrestaurant.com/
Po boy sammiches are some of the best in New Orleans (although this place is not anywhere near a touristy area, nor in the city at all), and I recommend the roast beef po boy. Also be sure to get the macaroni and cheese. It's like no other mac and cheese anywhere else.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Not personally a fan of the small chain "Dog & Suds" but a w*rk buddy always tried to organize a lunch-time caravan when the local franchise opened in spring. He was absolutely passionate about D N S. I always thought their chili dog was pretty good, but I only joined the caravan a couple of times - more out of respect for my buddy than for the "experience."

Having said that, I used to have to travel to the "big city" quite often, and guys in my lab would beg me to stop at White Castle and pick up a dozen sliders for them. The few times I did, I put them in the trunk on the way home. Just goes to show you that everyone's tastes are different. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #50

I define 'dive bar' as a place where you can get extremely cheap beer deals, and the decor is not quite top notch. One was in Kutztown, Pa where I could get a 64 ounce pitcher of on premises brewed craft beer for $1. Not a typo. That was 20 years ago, of course. Even then, it was a great deal. It was in the basement of a nicer place above it. Same beer the fancy place above served, but at a great discount. Only during happy hour, of course. Lots of poor college students there. Maybe that made it possible. I
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:01 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
On a related note, every 'official' DD&D place we have ever visited has been fantastic. Here's a link to the show's list of DD&D's, broken out by state if you scroll down just a bit:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/restaura...-ins-and-dives

Elizabeth T, thanks for that link. I’ve used a similar “app” in the past that lists all places mentioned on any Food shows I.e. best thing I ever ate, etc.

We have visited at least a dozen DD&D places outside of NJ, in our travels and they have all been great.

FYI, for any Guy Fieri fans, he has now joined the celebrity Tequila craze with a brand with a Sammy Hagar, called Santo. It’s not high end but it’s pretty good at a nice price.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:07 AM   #52

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-...outrageous-nm/

Never had it personally but locally famous in Albuquerque! The Travis
SecondAttempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:19 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I define 'dive bar' as a place where you can get extremely cheap beer deals, and the decor is not quite top notch. One was in Kutztown, Pa where I could get a 64 ounce pitcher of on premises brewed craft beer for $1. Not a typo. That was 20 years ago, of course. Even then, it was a great deal. It was in the basement of a nicer place above it. Same beer the fancy place above served, but at a great discount. Only during happy hour, of course. Lots of poor college students there. Maybe that made it possible. I
Hmmm. I always thought a 'dive bar' could be determined by the smell when you first walked in. Sort of a strong scent of stale, spilled beer, followed by a bit of stale (or fresh) BO and finished off by the essence of "men's room." YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:41 PM   #54

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/sheldon-simeon-maui

Tin Roof, on Maui. Take out only. There’s an app you can order from so you don’t have to wait in line to order, and then wait around for your food. Daily special, chicken sandwich, beet box and saimin are what I usually order.

Above is a link to an article about the proprietor, two time Top Chef finalist Sheldon Simeon, who gives ideas on where to eat and what to do for a day on Maui.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:56 AM   #55

Red Iguana in Salt Lake City. I actually feel bad calling this a dive. It's a nice place with great food. But it was on DDD and has posters all over the walls about it.
SecondAttempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Kansas Dives
Old 10-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

Kansas Dives

If you cannot make through Kansas, you at least want to read some the stories about the cozy burger in Salina, KS.

Cozy Burger Salina, KS
https://www.cozyburger.com/stories

The mini-hamburgers similar to White Castle have so much onion cooked in them that anyone from the area knows when you visit as the smell of your clothes will give you away. Story is the restaurant decided to get a new grill. Customers complained that the hamburgers were not as good cooked on the new grill, since the grill wasn't seasoned as well. So the owners went out to the landfill and recovered the original grill.

Roys BBQ Hutchinson KS
http://roysbbq.com

The only BBQ joint that I prefer the pulled pork over brisket, because their unique BBQ sauce goes with pork so well. If nothing else, buy their sauce online, and purchase some pulled pork at a local eatery and serve with Roy's sauce.

Do-B Empria KS
https://www.do-b.com/32-2/
Never been to Philly, but imagine these Philly Cheese Sandwiches are as good. Never tried the hamburger, but the photos look great.
CatinKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #57
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by savory View Post
Lafayette Coney Island, downtown Detroit https://www.facebook.com/Lafayette-C...3071722397988/ - Any time, day or night, there is always room for a coney. Although I never leave without getting a 'loose' too. hamburger meat served on a hot dog bun with chili, onions and mustard. Like the coney which is the hot dog.
I grew up in Detroit. There are two kinds of people there, Lafayette people and those misguided types who go to American Coney Island next door.

Recently, I took DW to Lafayette for the first time after talking about it for years. She said "This place looks like a dive." I said "Well, yeah."

-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:18 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Hmmm. I always thought a 'dive bar' could be determined by the smell when you first walked in. Sort of a strong scent of stale, spilled beer, followed by a bit of stale (or fresh) BO and finished off by the essence of "men's room." YMMV
Yeah, that's more like it. I am used to those places and the waitresses are all "over 40".
Old 10-26-2021, 04:25 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Mercedes & Family in Yakima, WA. Best authentic simple tacos.

Jaliscos in South Lake Tahoe, CA. Great Mexican food.

Fifth Wheel Food in San Leandro, CA. Great breakfast food.

All of these are hole in the wall, unpretentious places that I always go to when in town.
PointBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:33 PM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

Every time we visit Catskill Animal Sanctuary in the Hudson Valley (NY State), we visit Rock Da Casbah, a quirky restaurant in the nearby town of Saugerties, in order to have their vegan Mac n Cheese. It is the best vegan Mac n Cheese ever, and I usually order one serving to eat and a second to take away (and reheat another day). I tried several times to persuade the owner/chef to give me the recipe in exchange for a limited edition print of my prize-winning portrait of a rescued sheep (print worth over $500)! Sadly, no deal.

The restaurant has several other excellent vegan options in their menu, as well as some gluten-free items.
Andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote