Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yep, I've seen it. At the library too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan View Post
Oh well, to each their own! It’s not just in Walmart, they come to the schools to pick up their kids this way too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #162
gone traveling

Quote:
I don’t think this person is dressed up to go to Walmart and thus needs to “dress down”. I think they mean going to the store in your house shoes/slippers and pajamas etc—see it often in my Walmart. Being lower class does not mean you can’t present yourself appropriately.
Judgment call on what's appropriate. You ain't got much & time's limited, you go as is. I mean get off from digging holes with dirty torn shirt & pants & that's inappropriate?
Old 08-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #163
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Judgment call on what's appropriate. You ain't got much & time's limited, you go as is. I mean get off from digging holes with dirty torn shirt & pants & that's inappropriate?
I hope no one is critical of someone who stops to get milk on the way home from a hard day digging ditches. In my experience the customer dress-code issue isn't that, it is variations of this.

[mod edit - delete pic]

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Old 08-16-2019, 08:12 PM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed B View Post
I hope no one is critical of someone who stops to get milk on the way home from a hard day digging ditches. In my experience the customer dress-code issue isn't that, it is variations of this.

[Mod edit - delete pic]

Haha, guess I’d rather see pajama pants than this view.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:42 PM   #165
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed B View Post

[mod edit - delete pic]
So she can't afford more clothes. Is there a point?
Old 08-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

BTW, when traveling, we were surprised to find that many Walmarts have a fair selection of RV supplies -- ex: water supply hoses, RV-specific TP, etc.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:38 PM   #167
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
So she can't afford more clothes. Is there a point?
Yeah, I don't think finances are why she chose that outfit.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Old 08-16-2019, 10:16 PM   #168

I am currently (at my vacation rental) next door to the busiest Walmart in the world. The store on Old Lake Wilson Road, in Kissimmee, FL. Go there at 2 AM, 6 PM, or 10AM, it's long lines to check out, even in the self-checkout. Millions of people there. Everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
My friend who is a store manager says that stores in more affluent areas are easier to maintain. More affluent customers tend to put items back where they got them when they change their minds, less affluent customers put them on whatever shelf they're next to. Stores in more affluent areas tend to look neater for this (and other reasons)- also you tend to have less theft, broken packages, people eating stuff in the store, trash, that sort of thing.
As a (former) low-income landlord, I can assure you that there is definitely a difference in mentality/attitudes between lower income and non-low income people. I am sure it is reflected in the stores too. It is incredibly difficult to make money as a low income landlord.

It doesn't mean that all low-income have the entitlement mentality, but you can nearly be 100% accurate in saying that people with a entitlement attitude are low income. (Just because all boys have blue eyes, does not mean that all people with blue eyes are boys).
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 08-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #169
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Haha, guess I’d rather see pajama pants than this view.
I assume you mean her dirty feet.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #170

Lol- I didn't even notice her feet- I was wondering if she was wearing underwear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I assume you mean her dirty feet.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:07 AM   #171

Thanks for the “interesting” insight into Walmart.