Your winter weather prognostications

Walt34

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
This is different from the thread on awful weather because depending on one's viewpoint winter weather can be nice even if that includes four feet of snow. Others (like me) hold that the only ice they want to see is in their drinks.

So here's one forecast, albeit a rather dull one since it predicts that an “overall mild winter is possible”. How brave is that?:yawn: Sheesh, nothing like sticking your neck out! So anyway here's the link:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/winter-weather/accuweathers-2020-2021-us-winter-forecast/818601

Granted this exercise isn't likely to be any more accurate than groundhogs predicting spring, but show us your prediction/forecast/guesstimate/crystal ball/almanac's future forecast for this winter.

Umm, ~30 days where the high for the day is less than 70 degrees in Tampa. That's all I got.:D

Inclement.

The sooner it's over the better.

With climate change and global warming, I'm forecasting one of the mildest winters on record for our area.

I consider myself fortunate to live where there are four seasons and I enjoy all of them. Well, I guess I enjoy summer the least, because I don't deal with heat very well, but in general it's not bad. The only bad part of winter is the occasional day when the sidewalks are too icy to go for a walk, but those days are getting fewer every year.

My forecast for this winter? The mildest ever.

Farmers Almanac says it’ll be a rough winter. My arthritis agrees. ☃️❄️[emoji100][emoji948]

Well, let's see. Here's my prediction:

Between now and December 31st (the rest of 2020), I predict mammoth snowfalls in the north, with frightful avalanches, power outages lasting for months, hundreds of thousands freezing to death in their homes, motorists stranded and roofs collapsing beneath unfathomably deep snow and ice. Here in New Orleans we don't know how to drive, walk, or do anything if there is snow and ice. I predict that even here we'll have enough snow that all businesses will shut down, people will starve, and it will make the Donner Pass tragedy look like child's play.

After January 1st, when it is no longer 2020, I predict all of this will change for the better. For the rest of the winter we will all have average, normal winter weather. We'll all get out those cute winter clothes we have been wanting to wear, skiiers will ski, and ice skaters will skate. Life will be glorious, and the spring flowers will be more lovely than ever before.

I consider myself fortunate to live where there are four seasons and I enjoy all of them. Well, I guess I enjoy summer the least, because I don't deal with heat very well, but in general it's not bad. The only bad part of winter is the occasional day when the sidewalks are too icy to go for a walk, but those days are getting fewer every year.
My forecast for this winter? The mildest ever.

I consider myself fortunate also. Summer is a beautiful season but I also dislike the heat. Winter, fall and spring are my favorite season and could do with out summer if I had a choice.

I predict more snow and colder then we had last year so more like a normal wintah.

We had our first snow a month ago sadly no more yet. Hopefully it's a good year for a lot of snow.

I will be surprised if this coming winter is as mild as last winter was in the Mid-Atlantic. I think I shoveled snow once, and of the few snowfalls we received I think only one was over 4 inches. There were no long cold spells. I averaged more than a round of golf a week from November through February (and would have done that in March if not for the pandemic). I am not expecting winter to be that gentle again. :)

I would like it colder so we could burn more fires in the efficient low polluting EPA insert I installed 3 years ago.

One can only hope.

^ I would of thought you would of had enough smoke and fire this summer. Lol

Well, let's see here. Based on last year, and the year before that, and the year before that... I predict, average highs of 83 and and lows of 71. But I could be off a degree or two; Snow in the mountains (Mauna Kea and Mouna Loa and maybe Haleakala); So cold in January I may need a blanket (a few nights a comforter since I hate to close the windows - they make funny noises when the trades blow.); A fair amount of rain which will make the leeward mountains look like the windward mountains and not California. Guess that's it until summer when it will be 5 degrees warmer like now. Boring is good but YMMV.

It will get cold in January, but then warm up by April.

It might get cold, and if so, I’ll stay inside. Otherwise I’ll go outside to play. Not too concerned about it.

Last edited:
Have you checked the hair density on a Wooly Bear caterpillar it's always been the most accurate predictor of winters severity. Around here the armadillos are packing on extra wait, though they were never known for patience.

I predict that no matter how winter is, I will be getting spring fever once end of March is on the calendar.

Winter is never severe here. A might cold at times, but never severe.

I'm from Detroit. And that was not really severe compared to say Minnesota. I've been to MN in January and yeah, that's severe.

Farmers Almanac says it’ll be a rough winter. My arthritis agrees. ☃️❄️[emoji100][emoji948]
I had a ski friend who used to tout the Farmers Almanac for overall winter forecasts. I scoffed at it, and the next year she told me its forecast again. When I scoffed again, she told me how it was kind of right about one area the year before. I went and looked at the previous year prediction and it predicted a wet cold year in the Sierras. That was the year they barely even got any of the ski slopes open, it was so dry.

We used to get one or two light freezes a year. Now we go 5 years or more not even light freezes.

For us we have mild winters, obviously. It’s more an issue of whether we have a wet winter with plenty of cooler overcast days, or dry winter with mostly sunny days.

Now that I am into gardening, we could do without those 1 to 2 day mini overnight freezes.

My only prediction is that tissue consumption will rise. Something about the dry air always makes my nose run, especially if I go out into the cold and then back inside.
EYxD3an.jpg

Now that I am into gardening, we could do without those 1 to 2 day mini overnight freezes.
We have some tropical plants that are sensitive to just 35 degrees. Their leaves shrivel a bit and they stop growing. But the rest seem to do fine as long as we don’t drop below 30 For several hours.

This will be our 5th winter since moving back and I have no idea what to expect. We have had 3 mild winters, not many frosty or icy days, and 1 absolute corker when the polar vortex broke down and we experienced the “beast from the east” with frigid temperatures and loads of snow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43218229

Back
Top Bottom