You're Old, I'm not
Old 03-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

You're Old, I'm not

See if you agree, here.

AARP The Magazine - February/March 2014

How Americans REALLY feel about aging.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting, one step closer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Not.jpg (300.6 KB, 93 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was pleasantly surprised by the "aging gets easier" results. With the aches and pains that I already have I sometimes worry about how I'll do in my older years. Although I'm convinced that most of my pains come from work and working at a computer for too long.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
I was pleasantly surprised by the "aging gets easier" results. With the aches and pains that I already have I sometimes worry about how I'll do in my older years. Although I'm convinced that most of my pains come from work and working at a computer for too long.
Can you expand on this? I'm not sure I can see how working at a computer too long will cause long term pain, unless it has something to do with your eyes.

On the topic, it looks like 70 is old under all scenarios. Not sure I believe that, though.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
Administrator

I'm just wondering why an insurance company publishes a magazine.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Advertising revenue as it is full of it. Very few helpful or informative articles. If it wasn't for the 15% discount we get at Denney's from the AARP card, I would not have one.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
A remarkable observation... I can't speak for others, but for whatever reason, those physical hurts that were real and worrisome in my younger days, are not bothersome as I near the 80 mark... Don't know why... The problem thought to be Carpal Tunnel wasn't helped by an operation (2 years ago). It was painful and prevented sleep. Diagnosed as peripheral neuropathy. I was frankly, very worried that this would be a permanent disability, and foresaw a lot of upcoming misery.

Not so... For whatever reason, the neuropathy and the arthritis and some of the other aches and pains are just part of life, and whether it's physical or mental, not debilitating. Still ride and paddle and do outdoor work... no problem.

An observation here... since we live in a senior communities, we get to see others who are dealing with infirmities of one sort or nother. In our 60's, at social events... dinners, parties, pool bobbing etc... the #1 discussion subject was operations, diseases, aches and pains etc, etc... Now, in our 70's, not so much... Maybe we're just survivors, but health is no longer an obsession... and it seems, not just for us, but for our neighbors. Maybe it's just because we feel lucky to still be here.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Can you expand on this? I'm not sure I can see how working at a computer too long will cause long term pain, unless it has something to do with your eyes.

On the topic, it looks like 70 is old under all scenarios. Not sure I believe that, though.

I can speak for my own experience on this.
I worked at a computer for years before I retired last year because I couldn't stand the pain anymore. Sitting in a stationary position doing repetitive keystrokes and mouse movements puts a lot of strain on muscles and joints. I developed arthritis in my hands, arms, shoulders, neck and back. The body stays healthier with larger more fluid movements. Since I retired muscle pain is gone and my arthritis is better with exercise and help from Celebrex. I've also lost 24 pounds. Unfortunately my hands had gotten so bad I can barely write with a pen anymore, but I can still type.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Not sure about long-term pain, but I think my aches are mostly caused by a combination of stress, posture and ergonomics issues. In the last 12 months, I've adopted a systematic exercise routine, which I've refined and improved over time. This seems to have helped my neck and back issues quite a lot... and as a side benefit I've lost 22 pounds along the way and am now at my ideal body weight. Most recently, I've reviewed the way I sit at the computer and think I have improved posture and ergonomics as well. Not sure if I can fix everything given the work environment but maybe 80%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
A remarkable observation... I can't speak for others, but for whatever reason, those physical hurts that were real and worrisome in my younger days, are not bothersome as I near the 80 mark... Don't know why... The problem thought to be Carpal Tunnel wasn't helped by an operation (2 years ago). It was painful and prevented sleep. Diagnosed as peripheral neuropathy. I was frankly, very worried that this would be a permanent disability, and foresaw a lot of upcoming misery.

Not so... For whatever reason, the neuropathy and the arthritis and some of the other aches and pains are just part of life, and whether it's physical or mental, not debilitating. Still ride and paddle and do outdoor work... no problem.
This is great news!
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Same reasons political lobbys own their own TV networks and newspapers.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #12

I have several friends in their 60s and 70s. They vary a lot in how old they seem - genes and lifestyle start to show more at this age.
One of these friends is 75 and does not seem old at all. I think of him as the same age as me (57). His positive attitude and spring in his step mask his years - I hope to age in similar fashion. Other than being free of disease, attitude and apparent energy are key to how you feel and are perceived IMO.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

On the computer causing pain. In 2010 I was rearended, worked with a great PT, for neck pain. She was very concerned about me sitting in front of a monitor all day. Wanted me to get up every 15 minutes and stretch. Her opinion if you can't do that at least do shoulder rolls, head rolls, drop your hands, clench and relax hands. It was all about movement, circulation, proper posture.

Watch some folks, they have great posture at a monitor, routinely roll head, sholders, hands drop, many slump, slouch, remain frozen. I think it's the later group that experience problems.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Full time work is painful for me as well. I did manual labor for 12 hours per day for 11 years. The last several years I was in pain all the time. I did nothing on my days off except rest so I could get through my next shift. Now that I quit that job and only work occasionally to cover basic expenses, I experience very little pain. Some days I spend 12 hours sitting in front of my computer and I do get stiff and a little sore so I try to get up and walk around every hour or 2. I can't image how some people work full time into their 60's.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #15

Sometimes I think I'm in better health than I was 10 to 15 years ago. Other times I feel my age......going to need cataract surgery, tooth implant etc. ......big difference is change in diet and excercise. since losing over 30 lbs past 4 years my arthritis has gone away and I feel better. Big change was off most heavy sugar.....pies, cakes etc.....and much more fruit and vegetables......and, my treadmill......about 15 miles per week.....twice a day, early morning and then 10 minutes after dinner. I still work.....,with a computer but I get up and walk around.....sleep 7 hours per night.....commute between work and home via airplane each week and flew over 75000 miles on United last year.....that will really tire you out. But....I do feel my age......most people, however, guess me 10 years younger......being a pre-diabetic scared me......and I don't think I'd still be here if I hadn't changed eating and excercise habits. I really am lucky!
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Advertising revenue as it is full of it. Very few helpful or informative articles. If it wasn't for the 15% discount we get at Denney's from the AARP card, I would not have one.
We don't belong to AARP and don't have an AARP card, but on the rare occasion when we go to our local Denny's they give us the senior discount if we ask for it. So, I'd guess you could drop AARP and not miss it.

We do look like seniors so that probably helps.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We don't belong to AARP and don't have an AARP card, but on the rare occasion when we go to our local Denny's they give us the senior discount if we ask for it. So, I'd guess you could drop AARP and not miss it.

We do look like seniors so that probably helps.
I tried the "senior discount" approach here and it did not work. So I spent the $15 on the card (and that free magazine!)..
Old 03-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

During my last 3 yrs of w*rk I w*rked closely with a professional ergonomist to re-engineer our production line. A lot of ergonomists enter the field after first working in physical therapy. If you can find a good one, an ergonomist is a great choice for consulting about computer workstation pain.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I liked tghe quote from Whoopi Golldberg (58): "There is only one alternative to growing old, so suck it up."

BTW, OP, in earlier posts you mention a CCRC. I have not found what this abbreviation means anywhere. Continuous Care Retirement Community? (Guessing.) Maybe we can put it in the forum's abbreviations with a little more explanation?
Old 03-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
BTW, OP, in earlier posts you mention a CCRC. I have not found what this abbreviation means anywhere. Continuous Care Retirement Community? (Guessing.)
Yes, you guessed it right. These are some sites I bookmarked during earlier searches:

Public Index

Continuing Care Center

Retirement Communities & Senior Housing :: Retirement Living Information Center

Family Value: The Risks of Retirement Communities - WSJ.com