Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Youtube Revenue Sharing
Old 10-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Youtube Revenue Sharing

Youtube contacted me because this video

has gotten enough hits (around 4,000) that they want to put ads up next to it and share the revenue with me.

I don't think I'll do it, since I don't like ads on the Internet. But I was wondering if any of you have done something like that.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Administrator

What a great card!
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

T-Al goes viral.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I love it, Al! That is absolutely hilarious and a nice Happy Birthday for her.

And since she has probably seen it already, I don't see any reason why you couldn't make a little money off of it on the side, now. I'd go for it, were it me. Foregoing the money isn't going to make much difference in cleaning up the internet, but it might buy you dinner.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I don't think I'll do it, since I don't like ads on the Internet. But I was wondering if any of you have done something like that.
You've achieved the Nirvana that hundreds of personal finance bloggers are striving for every day. Better still, you did it while having fun-- something most of those bloggers are still striving for every day.

Be a rebel, Al. Subvert the system from within! You could take Google's money and strike a blow for Internet users everywhere by donating it to AdBlock or buying your neighbor's property or giving it to your favorite charity.

And, hey, congratulations! I bet this achievement puts you in a pretty small subset of YouTube posters.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

That is hysterical ! Why not take the money and give it to Jenny ? Or put the money away for her lavish wedding that you'll be hosting in the near future .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

You are just too funny!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I recall when you first posted it. I'm not sure I knew it was originally by you, maybe I was thinking you just adapted it? Very funny, really good.

I would not have thought 4,000 hits and 4 comments would be enough to draw their attention. But I say do it, just to get some idea of how much money comes in.

Yes, the ads are a bit annoying, but youtube has provided a significant amount of entertainment and even useful stuff (check the lectures, DIY tips, etc) - I personally think those ads are a more than fair 'price' to pay for what is offered. As long as they don't go to the high-action, jump up and down and block your view types.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

This had useful info:

Don’t Enable Revenue Sharing on YouTube Before Reading This

Apparently videos that are getting popular attract the attention of a youtube app, and if you are interested, a real person looks at it.

I got the Qaddafi video from YouTube, and I don't know if that would be a copyright problem. I'm guessing that there wouldn't be a lot of income, unless it really went viral.

Of course it would then be tempting to do the same kind of thing with other videos of foreign people speaking...
Old 10-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hilarious! and very creative. Thanks for sharing.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
That is hysterical ! Why not take the money and give it to Jenny ? Or put the money away for her lavish wedding that you'll be hosting in the near future .
+1. And you can invite everybody on this thread.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This had useful info:

Don’t Enable Revenue Sharing on YouTube Before Reading This

Apparently videos that are getting popular attract the attention of a youtube app, and if you are interested, a real person looks at it.

I got the Qaddafi video from YouTube, and I don't know if that would be a copyright problem. I'm guessing that there wouldn't be a lot of income, unless it really went viral.

Of course it would then be tempting to do the same kind of thing with other videos of foreign people speaking...
If I read that right, you need to hit $100 before they transfer any funds. I'm guessing that's a pretty high threshold to hit, unless you get really popular.

I also wonder if they would consider that a copyright violation of Al Jazeera, or if it fits under parody laws, or if news clips of public events are considered public domain? Or would youtube either just not care and say 'OK', or play it conservative and say 'No'.

It would be interesting to hear from people who made some steady hundreds of dollars, versus the very few that have made thousands with one that went 'viral'.

Hmmm, 'Jazerra' doesn't happen to mean 'Trombone' in Arabic, does it? Maybe they re the ones with the copyright issues! Better check into that!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

And then there's the danger of some kind of fatwa against me.

From my Intergoogling, it seems that to earn $100, you'd need about 90,000 views. That's not going to happen.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Muammar Gadaffi might see the video on this board, now that he is "early retiring".
Hilarious video. I bet some of the UN interpreters wish they could've used your translation that day.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
And then there's the danger of some kind of fatwa against me.
I don't think Qaddafi's is in any position to be issuing fatwas anyways. If anything, your hilarious parody would probably earn you an honorary position with the transitional government!

Hmm, let's see, you'll need an Arabic name... How about TromboneAl Al-Ameriki or TromboneAl Al-California?
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Al, A Whacky
Old 10-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, Mr. Al-A-Whaky, I showed your video to Frank and he laughed out loud so hard. He thought it was absolutely terrific, and we all need a good laugh so thanks.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #18

Hey, T-Al,

Today's NYT has an article on cashing in on hit YouTube videos that you might find interesting...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/27/te....html?src=recg

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #19

I don't know how I missed this when you first posted it. You are hilarious! I love it!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

T Al, I got the invite to Adsense the other day too. I have a few vids with around a 1000 views each, nothing spectacular. I signed up.

So far I earned $0.84 cents and that was from my own click (technically against their terms of service but I was really curious "does this thing work?). I'm tempted to put some more videos up to see what happens.