Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm convinced these services get your grass hooked on "lawn heroin" and eventually you need them forever as the grass is no longer able to sustain itself ---- unless you're willing to start over.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
And FWIW, in our area it is sometimes cheaper to re-sod than it is to pay for water to keep the grass from dying. We can thank the nearby sod farms for that economy lesson.
My water bill is 2000 a year, I attribute 8-900 on watering the lawn. Sod for my entire spread was I think 1800(?), Sod for the patch jobs would be infinitely cheaper. Thanks for the tip.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwp2017 View Post
Avoid chem-lawn & weed and feed. Go with organic fertilizers , it will be next to impossible to harm the grass. Selective herbicides used sparingly will take care of any weeds.
FYI, I'm an agronomy major from a major land grant university and make a good portion of my income from my farm.
I highly value you and LOL! knowledge on this subject, Im going back to doing it myself. I will follow your advice.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 09-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #24

When I was 18 and left home for university I vowed that I had cut my last blade of grass. Still going strong on this promise 44 years later.

But, if I had had the OP's experience I would contact the company and say, "how will you fix this for me? My friends all want me to go public on social media but I want to give you a fair chance first."

-BB
Old 09-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #25

Update

At 930 this morning, the assistant general manager called me. I threw in the over spraying of the weed killer, and how I had a nice lawn before they got involved. He said look, you paid for the full year in advance, we will come and aerate and over seed. We will not charge you, we will refund your account for this service that you prepaid. It was/is the most expensive item on the 7 or 8 visit list ($159). He said you wont see much growth this year, but next spring you will. Based on how well they performed for me so far Im not expecting much. So they ruin my lawn, and I get a $159 dollar rebate, so now that I think about it I paid them $350, to ruin my lawn.

Yup Im a loser.

Next summer If I stop posting you know what happened, I died on the front lawn.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #26

That's the offer? No way. Come back with a new lawn, period.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
... He said you wont see much growth this year, but next spring you will. ...
Fall is usually the recommended time to seed in climates like ours. Grass gets a start, goes dormant in winter, and gets a great start in the early spring and is ready for summer heat.

The grass will still be those thin/delicate blades by winter, probably won't look full and lush, but it should be thick enough for winter. I think they also recc to let it grow long before cutting it the first few times, I don't think the delicate blades can take cutting, they get pulled out by the roots?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #28

If you're not happy with the outcome tell the DEC and local equivalent that they need watching.
Heck, since they may be poisoning you and your neighbors you should call even after they make you whole. I stopped using weed n feed on the backyard as I don't want my dog lying on chemicals. Use it rarely on the front yard.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

This is optimal grass growing weather.
SonofCohoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Maybe it's time for astroturf astroglide.
Fixed it for you

In all seriousness I'm reading this with interest because my grass is also dead due to hot summer here and water restrictions. I'm wondering what's the best way to bring it back to life.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Fixed it for you

In all seriousness I'm reading this with interest because my grass is also dead due to hot summer here and water restrictions. I'm wondering what's the best way to bring it back to life.
My next door neighbor (a widow) got tired of screwing with grass, high water bills and treatment companies. Her front lawn is taken care of by the HOA but the back is not and that's where the problems were (shade trees, moles, weeds, infestations). I casually recommended a synthetic lawn (kidding) and she took me up on it. It's beautiful (but not big, maybe 500 sq. ft.) and is easy to maintain.

BCG: Go for the synthetic lawn!
Old 09-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

BCG: Go for the synthetic lawn!
We tried!
I told the builder that I wanted Beautiful interlocking pavers, in the front and back. He then informed me the architect said that in my zoning Im mandated to have a certain amount of greenery. I guess so all the local dogs have a nice spot to hang out on. I think the restriction was really just for the front lawn. Anyhow we moved in late October 2010 and had the lawn installed may 2011.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
If you're not happy with the outcome tell the DEC and local equivalent that they need watching.
Heck, since they may be poisoning you and your neighbors you should call even after they make you whole. I stopped using weed n feed on the backyard as I don't want my dog lying on chemicals. Use it rarely on the front yard.
Im not entirely happy with the deal. I am willing to give it a try. If this turns into a complete flop I will call the company next year & cry to them. If they blow me off I will probably call DEP.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Fixed it for you

The color is important. Yellowish dried grass is merely dormant and will revive during the next rainy season. Grayish dried grass is usually dead.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IMO it's time to move past the "assistant general manager". Call back and ask for the big dog...You should be out zero dollars, they need to do more then overseed and hope for the best. Also, you'll need to water the seed if it comes to that and they to make you whole for the extra water cost...

Just keep asking for the boss if the person you are talking too doesn't give you what you want.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #36
gone traveling

Just one of the many reasons I try to do things myself, if at all possible. I usually end up paying less, saving time, and getting better results!
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #37

Sounds like some real experts on here.
How do I get rid of Creeping Charlie? Neighbor and garden supply guy said use Weed BGone chickweed killer. Might have slowed it down a little but didn't kill it. To many applications and the grass starts looking sick. Pulling it out seems to make it come back in two fold.
I surrendered to it this year, but want to get it all out next year.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #38

What a great thread!
Makes me deliriously happy about my move to a condo two years ago. Our lawn contractor does a wonderful job and all I have to do is watch.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
What a great thread!
Makes me deliriously happy about my move to a condo two years ago. Our lawn contractor does a wonderful job and all I have to do is watch.
LOL, dont rub it in! Today was a day of disappointments,
Found out they have a trailer park in Key west, Before I could google it, some one burst my bubble that the plot is probably 350K , hahaha.
I thought my YTD progress was great at over 10 %, just looked some guy is over 20 %.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Get your money back, continue your previous do it yourself schedule but direct some teenager to do it for some cash.
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote