0% tax rate - Dividends and Capital Gains

MichealKnight

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hello all...

Married Filing Jointly....

They say, if you have upto $80,800 in taxable income - that is a 0% tax rate on dividends.

Also, if you have upto $80,800 in taxable income - that is a 0% tax rate on long term capital gains.

What my desired plan is - that my LLC that contains rental homes, will show a 'zero' profit - this will be via legal means, such as depreciation and expenses.

So if I have ....let's say, $40,400 in dividend income. AND $40,400 in long term capital gains..... that is $80,800.

Does that mean, 0% Federal tax on that whole $80,800 - since my real estate company makes no money, and the first $80,800 of divs/cap gains is free?

Thanks

Hello all...

They say, if you have upto $80,800 in taxable income - that is a 0% tax rate on dividends.

0% on Qualified Dividends. Nonqualified dividends are taxed at the ordinary income tax rate.

Also, if you have upto $80,800 in taxable income - that is a 0% tax rate on long term capital gains.

What my desired plan is - that my LLC that contains rental homes, will show a 'zero' profit - this will be via legal means, such as depreciation and expenses.

So if I have ....let's say, $40,400 in dividend income. AND $40,400 in long term capital gains..... that is $80,800.

Does that mean, 0% Federal tax on that whole $80,800 - since my real estate company makes no money, and the first $80,800 of divs/cap gains is free?

Thanks

If you have no ordinary income, then you can actually have $105,900 in LTCGs and QDivs and pay no tax because the $25,100 standard deduction is subtracted before the tax is calculated.

Hello all...

Thanks

Yes, I believe your tax would be $-0- on the entire $80,800.

And I do not believe this is a "cliff" situation, where if you go just over the limit of $80,800, that you pay full tax rate on any LT cap gains or qualified dividends. That is, you would still benefit from $-0- tax rate on the first $80,800 of the LT cap gains and/or qualified dividends.

Thanks everyone

For the replies and the calculator.

About 30-35% of my retirement will be from real estate - most likely rental homes, with a slight chance of a commercial leased property (Wendy's, etc). OI course, I would invest in said houses for ROI.... but also, with legal depreciation.....my real estate company would show almost zero profit.

So if my stock portfolio earns 80K in capital gains/dividends (I think it'll be around 70k - average)....then the 0% taxation is part of the plan, I feel it enhances both investments.

State is 3.1% flat- not much I can do about it -- I'll start a late 529 and if things are good - max it out each year. Overall, I'm hoping that if Federal tax is 0%, and state tax is minimal - then I'd still get the $6000 child tax credits and some ACA subsidy also. (Most of my life I'd have frowned upon myself for this....but I seem to have lost that battle so I figure, enjoy defeat best I can :)

Back
Top Bottom