$1.6 Billion Lottery .. this supersedes the $1 Billion Lottery :)

I have advice for the wanna be winner....reread Steinbecks novel The Pearl. As soon as you are in possession of the money you are a target of envy and scorn. All that you have accomplished financially in your life is immediately null and void. Your children and your wife are now targets of kidnapping. No thanks. Rather spend the money on a good cup of coffee.

This would be the biggest worry. Physical harm to you or people you care about. A few states allow people to claim anonymously. Just a few though.

With that said, I spent $5 on three pieces of very expensive toilet paper today. Two tickets for 1.6 billion lottery and 1 ticket on some state drawing. That's my lotto purchases for the year except for the money spent through a work pool which I don't put any effort into.

Have there been a bunch of stories about lottery winners having family members killed or kidnapped? Seems like an overblown concern. But as usual I could be wrong

Well, since posting I’ve quickly found 3 or 4 stories of such incidents. So that answers my question. It absolutely does happen. Crazy.

Well, since posting I’ve quickly found 3 or 4 stories of such incidents. So that answers my question. It absolutely does happen. Crazy.

Ok, but balance that out against having much better medical care than the average person, for you and your family. Being able to get a MRI the same day...heck even have one in your home. Having a personal doctor on call. I think I would risk the kidnapping in order to have my family at the top of the pecking order for medical care.

Ok, but balance that out against having much better medical care than the average person, for you and your family. Being able to get a MRI the same day...heck even have one in your home. Having a personal doctor on call. I think I would risk the kidnapping in order to have my family at the top of the pecking order for medical care.

Please don’t misunderstand me. I want to win the money. I’m too stupid to realize it might be regrettable.

I have advice for the wanna be winner....reread Steinbecks novel The Pearl. As soon as you are in possession of the money you are a target of envy and scorn. All that you have accomplished financially in your life is immediately null and void. Your children and your wife are now targets of kidnapping. No thanks. Rather spend the money on a good cup of coffee.

I remember that story from High School. I always felt part of the cause of the disasters that befell the protagonist was his naive denial others would respond with so much anger, hate, and jealousy.

My wife said she would give $1M to each family member. Heck, most would be broke again in under a year.

Remember Brewsters Millions ?

I aspire to be the next Brewster..... Brewster on steroids....

I

Well, nuts! I should have taken out a temporary loan and bought all 302M tickets. That way I *would* win, and then pay back the loan immediately. I still would have walked away with about $300M.

Maybe next time.

This made me curious so I looked up numbers from Oct 19th...280 million tickets were sold. I'd bet they will go over the 302 number this time around...let's see what happens and if they actually get a winner...

I'd bet they will go over the 302 number this time around...let's see what happens and if they actually get a winner...

Irrelevant. There will be huge numbers of duplicates, so it's easily possible that nobody will have the winning combination.

Irrelevant. There will be huge numbers of duplicates, so it's easily possible that nobody will have the winning combination.

That's what I think too the odds aren't really 1 in 320 million...there are 320 plus million possible combinations..

That's what I think too the odds aren't really 1 in 320 million...there are 320 plus million possible combinations..

Say what:confused:

The stmt of odds being 1 in 320 million means there are one set of numbers pulled out of the 320 million possibilities...

It does not matter how many people win... or not...

I remember a few years back where they had someone on TV who had duplicate numbers on the same quick pick ticket!!!

With how many are sold I bet it happens every once in awhile..

Say what:confused:

The stmt of odds being 1 in 320 million means there are one set of numbers pulled out of the 320 million possibilities...

It does not matter how many people win... or not...

I meant that perhaps even if they sell 320 million tickets there is a chance the correct set of numbers won't be printed in any of them...I was responding to people wondering if you bought 320 million plus tickets you would be guaranteed the winning numbers. Numbers is hard....I'm pretty certain I wasted my four bucks...:D

That's because for so many people winning the lottery was a disaster. I suspect that for most of the forum members here, many of whom are already used to dealing with large sums of money, they would be more disciplined and controlled than the general population with a windfall like that. But even that's no guarantee. Jack Whittaker was already a multimillionaire when he won the lottery for $300+ million and it was still a disaster for him.

One needs only to look at the numbers of people who come into large sums from whatever means, playing football, inheritances, or lotteries, and are bankrupt within a few years, more often than not with serious damage to their relationships and health...

I did not know the story about Jack Whittaker whose Powerball’s $314M jackpot ($113M after taxes) was the largest up to that time in 2002.

Here's a reprint of an article about him. Very sad story. Money changed Jack's personality in ways nobody could imagine, like Jekyll and Hyde. And it brought misery and death to several lives around him.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/h...kpot-it-ruined-his-life/ar-BBOOfjw?li=BBnb7Kz

There are already many many members of this site who are millionaires, so basically they already face this risk without the benefit of being able to afford a couple of private seal teams to protect everyone.

So not winning is more risky.

Darn I only matched 6 numbers :-(

Oh well. At least it isn't raining here in South Carolina today.

Oh well.:( Nada, zip, zilch.

But I still have my Powerball ticket, drawing tomorrow! I think we could scrape by on $620 mil.:)

We've exhausted the lottery ticket budget for the year now.

I won a whopping 2 bucks. Going to reinvest in the Powerball. That doubles my chances for tonight since I already bought one for it, right?

Well, I didn't want to be greedy so I didn't pick the right numbers the other day. The Powerball amount is much more manageable.:)

Back
Top Bottom