Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

I have advice for the wanna be winner....reread Steinbecks novel The Pearl. As soon as you are in possession of the money you are a target of envy and scorn. All that you have accomplished financially in your life is immediately null and void. Your children and your wife are now targets of kidnapping. No thanks. Rather spend the money on a good cup of coffee.
joel2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by critical mass View Post
I have advice for the wanna be winner....reread Steinbecks novel The Pearl. As soon as you are in possession of the money you are a target of envy and scorn. All that you have accomplished financially in your life is immediately null and void. Your children and your wife are now targets of kidnapping. No thanks. Rather spend the money on a good cup of coffee.
But with 1.6 billion couldn't you pay some other author to write a happier lottery outcome story?
gstillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

DW won $4 in last week's billion dollar lottery. So I'm sure that she'll hit the big one this week.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Our ROMEO group just purchased 130 tickets. 13 splits if we win.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lemme look up the Woodlands on the map to see its location.

I think I can find the posted photo of the class C you helped your friend fix up.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #126
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
This would be the biggest worry. Physical harm to you or people you care about. A few states allow people to claim anonymously. Just a few though.

With that said, I spent $5 on three pieces of very expensive toilet paper today. Two tickets for 1.6 billion lottery and 1 ticket on some state drawing. That's my lotto purchases for the year except for the money spent through a work pool which I don't put any effort into.
Aggie1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have there been a bunch of stories about lottery winners having family members killed or kidnapped? Seems like an overblown concern. But as usual I could be wrong
Old 10-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #128

Well, since posting I’ve quickly found 3 or 4 stories of such incidents. So that answers my question. It absolutely does happen. Crazy.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Well, since posting I’ve quickly found 3 or 4 stories of such incidents. So that answers my question. It absolutely does happen. Crazy.
Ok, but balance that out against having much better medical care than the average person, for you and your family. Being able to get a MRI the same day...heck even have one in your home. Having a personal doctor on call. I think I would risk the kidnapping in order to have my family at the top of the pecking order for medical care.
gstillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstillson View Post
Ok, but balance that out against having much better medical care than the average person, for you and your family. Being able to get a MRI the same day...heck even have one in your home. Having a personal doctor on call. I think I would risk the kidnapping in order to have my family at the top of the pecking order for medical care.

Please don’t misunderstand me. I want to win the money. I’m too stupid to realize it might be regrettable.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I remember that story from High School. I always felt part of the cause of the disasters that befell the protagonist was his naive denial others would respond with so much anger, hate, and jealousy.

My wife said she would give $1M to each family member. Heck, most would be broke again in under a year.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Didn't you post buying some the other day? How many in total so far?
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
It's a shame you guys wasted your money. I bought the winning ticket this morning.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:40 PM   #134
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Didn't you post buying some the other day? How many in total so far?
That was the final tally. $260 worth.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
DW won $4 in last week's billion dollar lottery. So I'm sure that she'll hit the big one this week.
That's an interesting extrapolation.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #136
Full time employment: Posting here.

Remember Brewsters Millions ?

I aspire to be the next Brewster..... Brewster on steroids....

I

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
Well, nuts! I should have taken out a temporary loan and bought all 302M tickets. That way I *would* win, and then pay back the loan immediately. I still would have walked away with about $300M.

Maybe next time.
This made me curious so I looked up numbers from Oct 19th...280 million tickets were sold. I'd bet they will go over the 302 number this time around...let's see what happens and if they actually get a winner...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I'd bet they will go over the 302 number this time around...let's see what happens and if they actually get a winner...
Irrelevant. There will be huge numbers of duplicates, so it's easily possible that nobody will have the winning combination.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Irrelevant. There will be huge numbers of duplicates, so it's easily possible that nobody will have the winning combination.
That's what I think too the odds aren't really 1 in 320 million...there are 320 plus million possible combinations..
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:29 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
That's what I think too the odds aren't really 1 in 320 million...there are 320 plus million possible combinations..

Say what

The stmt of odds being 1 in 320 million means there are one set of numbers pulled out of the 320 million possibilities...

It does not matter how many people win... or not...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote