Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2022, 04:26 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Does it not really depend on whether you have pension or annuity income, the size of your equity account, whether you own or rent, or your retirement lifestyle

I find many of these generic articles to be nothing less than space fillers. Different answer for everyone.

Best to let common sense prevail based on one's financial and lifestyle cirumstances.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2022, 05:00 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I can now buy a treasury to cover that much without touching my feedstock…..
Quattro73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:15 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

This happens every time the market takes a nosedive. The experts suddenly cut the safe withdrawal rate in half. I'm just figuring the Monte Carlo simulations I get from my advisor include bear markets like this and go on.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 11:08 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
Interesting article from Barron Regarding a study which says the new safe withdrawal rate is closer to 1.9%

The authors come to this conclusion based on longer lifespans and after evaluating data from a wide range of sources.

Seems conservative to me even with today’s inflation. But then…

https://apple.news/AyBqJctIMQ5mB6wSRU3TGGA
The problem with the 4% draw rate isn't the rate itself, it is the assumption that people will draw an exact percentage, adjusted for inflation, over decades with no adjustment based on either the market conditions (maybe drawing a little less in downturns such as this one) or their own spending needs which change as one ages.

This is not realistic and few people will ever follow this model.
eyenitnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Here's to bacon
Old 10-09-2022, 04:38 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's to bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Tell MK what you pay for that over-priced pre-cooked bacon you spurge on. He could probably buy two days worth of BK or McD meals for that.
I eat it once a month. Really like it. But, if I ever have to disappoint millions of people and leave the world early - I sort of hate to say this publicly - -- but it's not gonna be women or travels or bucket lists - yeah, it's gonna be daily fast food. I miss that stuff so much. Just the smell of it, the way it feels in my hand when I take it out of the bag. The awesome taste. The way fountain soda tastes in conjunction with it. That last fry that I know will be in the bag when I'm done with the meal - kind of like a sign from above "ok kiddo you're sad cause the meal is over - here's one more fry for you" kinda thing. I could go on - - buuuuuut having a Wife and young kids turned my daily fast food from my previous life into a much too infrequent treat.

Don't get me started on the glory of McD breakfast.
MichealKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:59 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyenitnoy View Post
The problem with the 4% draw rate isn't the rate itself, it is the assumption that people will draw an exact percentage, adjusted for inflation, over decades with no adjustment based on either the market conditions (maybe drawing a little less in downturns such as this one) or their own spending needs which change as one ages.

This is not realistic and few people will ever follow this model.

I've never known one person to make that assumption in real life. The rule is simply calculated on that. But one problem is that real inflation is higher than the official government inflation figures used in those SWR studies, so the studies make it look more favorable that you won't run out of money.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 02:03 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tell MK what you pay for that over-priced pre-cooked bacon you spurge on. He could probably buy two days worth of BK or McD meals for that.
Yeah, honestly just went to Sam's yesterday (upon return from the frozen tundra of the midwest) and bought a pack of 72 strips of pre cooked bacon. It cost just over $20. Thinking in terms of buying bacon strips (even at Denny's) that's quite a deal.

IIRC 3 lb of raw bacon was about the same price (and roughly similar number of strips.) SO... I think it's still a deal. If I DO ever contemplate doing myself in - I think the bacon diet is the way to go!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 02:17 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Yeah, honestly just went to Sam's yesterday (upon return from the frozen tundra of the midwest) and bought a pack of 72 strips of pre cooked bacon. It cost just over $20. Thinking in terms of buying bacon strips (even at Denny's) that's quite a deal.

IIRC 3 lb of raw bacon was about the same price (and roughly similar number of strips.) SO... I think it's still a deal. If I DO ever contemplate doing myself in - I think the bacon diet is the way to go!
Weight wise, how much does that package of precooked bacon weigh?
Old 10-09-2022, 02:49 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichealKnight View Post
Don't get me started on the glory of McD breakfast.
Ahh, that will be me tomorrow morning. I have allowed myself a "monthly day of dietary decadence" and tomorrow morning is it, on the way to the flying site to meet my student for R/C airplane flying.

Breakfast will be a steak 'n egg bagel with cheese, and a hash brown. Water brought from home to drink (can't break all those frugal habits at once).
Old 10-09-2022, 04:34 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Ahh, that will be me tomorrow morning. I have allowed myself a "monthly day of dietary decadence" and tomorrow morning is it, on the way to the flying site to meet my student for R/C airplane flying.

Breakfast will be a steak 'n egg bagel with cheese, and a hash brown. Water brought from home to drink (can't break all those frugal habits at once).
They took the steak n egg bagel off all the Mcd menus here. Was my favorite.
Old 10-09-2022, 11:16 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Weight wise, how much does that package of precooked bacon weigh?
Weight for it 10.5 oz

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:16 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From the article,
Quote:
Would you believe 1.9%? That’s the conclusion of new research that replicates the original research that led to the 4%, but with more realistic assumptions about our life expectancies and a more comprehensive historical data set.
Of course, they don't mention what life expectancy they used actually was. In the original study they simply said for a 30 year period. As ER people, we know not to use that when retiring early. Nothing new here. In addition, the last few year's runup certainly wasn't in the original study either. I would say that 1.9% SWR would in fact succeed. A higher number would also. I call BS on the article.

Today's calculators where you enter a bunch of personal income, spending, saving, accounts and AA are so much more accurate for an individual than a single number for everybody. Then there is future performance......yada yada yada.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 01:49 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

IIRC 3 lb of raw bacon was about the same price (and roughly similar number of strips.) SO... I think it's still a deal. If I DO ever contemplate doing myself in - I think the bacon diet is the way to go![emoji23]
I recently purchased something similar from Costco. If you have no plans to use the rendered fat from cooking uncooked bacon, the precooked bacon is the way to go in my opinion. I wrap a couple of strips in paper towel and nuke it for like 40 seconds - they turn into salty delightful crisps. I cook them less to add to eggs, etc too. No mess to deal with afterwards either. And much cheaper.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 01:59 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I recently purchased something similar from Costco. If you have no plans to use the rendered fat from cooking uncooked bacon, the precooked bacon is the way to go in my opinion. I wrap a couple of strips in paper towel and nuke it for like 40 seconds - they turn into salty delightful crisps. I cook them less to add to eggs, etc too. No mess to deal with afterwards either. And much cheaper.
You have me heading for the fridge to grab a few pieces for my early morning snack! I always cook it but you don't even have to do that. You can eat it from the package AND you don't really need to refrigerate it. Refrigeration makes it keep longer (without becoming rancid) but you can travel with it just in the package or in pre-made sandwiches. What a flexible, delicious treat. YMMV

Old 10-10-2022, 02:06 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I find it fascinating that so many financial and retirement related threads, including this current one on the subject of safe withdrawal rates, eventually turn to the subject of bacon.
Old 10-10-2022, 02:56 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

+1

Glad to be back home to my homemade bacon!
Old 10-10-2022, 03:29 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I find it fascinating that so many financial and retirement related threads, including this current one on the subject of safe withdrawal rates, eventually turn to the subject of bacon.
One of the measures of a successful retirement is to be able to afford as much bacon as one desires.

So, of course a discussion of SWR will lead to talk about the availability and quality of bacon.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:33 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You have me heading for the fridge to grab a few pieces for my early morning snack! I always cook it but you don't even have to do that. You can eat it from the package AND you don't really need to refrigerate it. Refrigeration makes it keep longer (without becoming rancid) but you can travel with it just in the package or in pre-made sandwiches. What a flexible, delicious treat. YMMV

Hmm... Travel with bacon. In the pocket of your trouser? You can then pull out a strip anytime while sitting in a trans-Atlantic flight to snack on. I'll bet if you had a craving of bacon inflight, the stewardesses would not be able to help out, even if you flied business class. Hence, a well-prepared bacon enthusiast must keep some with him at all time.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 04:07 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Weight for it 10.5 oz
Help me here....you said 72 strips of bacon...in a 10.5 ounce package? Is that correct? If so, the strips must be very thin. Correct?
Old 10-10-2022, 04:24 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Help me here....you said 72 strips of bacon...in a 10.5 ounce package? Is that correct? If so, the strips must be very thin. Correct?
He may be talking about something like this which they claim was originally 4 lbs of bacon. You lose a lot of weight rendering the fat out of the bacon. https://www.amazon.com/Hormel-Black-...Q%3D%3D&sr=8-2