Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-13-2021, 10:48 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

It would be interesting to see what the SS payout at 62 with a 7% annual compounding return would be worth @90
hopefullyoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2021, 11:21 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

In other words, if you don’t need your SS, and just let it grow as an investment? That’s been done, (maybe not 7%, but the numbers would still work) and IIRC it showed that if you delayed till 70, and then put that same amount that age 62 filed became at 70, and compounded it till 90 and then added the extra income from delaying, that delaying was still the greater “ROI”. What I don’t recall is where the break even fell, though it did delay it some.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #23

@Andre1969: All valid points. I have no horse in the race. If you need it, you need it. It would be stupid to insist delaying is always better. It absolutely is not.

My step sons grandmother is 92. She worked as a secretary until she was 65, then collected her SS. Divorced when the son was 2, & her ex went to prison for 15 years. Drugs. Never remarried. Between her small pension and SS, her income is about $28k/yr. She literally lives on $600 month in FL in her paid off home bought in 1962. Minimal RE taxes & utilities, she is stupid cheap/frugal. Whatever.

She was a huge ultra conservative saver with CDs and savings accounts. Her son (step sons biological father) lived with her from the day DW & he were divorced in 1991, until he ODed on drugs in 2013 at age 52. While she would never have AC in her house (too expensive!!!) in Miami (!), she had no trouble doting on her very troubled loser son, and he drained every cent from her (about $200k according to DW) and he was draining her SS & pension check the day they came in.

We actually had to set up gift cards @ Publix with a no cigarettes, beer or liquour stipulation so they could eat. That only lasted about 10 months before he died.

The house was a shambles, barely livable, plumbing & electric issues, leaking roof etc, etc. We paid to bring the house up to a nice condition and she gave us control of her expenses and income, so all bills are paid and we were paid back in about 5 years.

We have her food delivered, she never drove and lives on the bus line, which she can’t use on her own anymore. She gifts whatever money is not earmarked for living, to her only grandson and insists on paying for his car.

Bottom line, a higher than age 62 SS was of great benefit to her. Any extra saved money would have been wasted, had she filed early. If she had lived off her savings and delayed until 70, she would be much better off, especially if she ever ends up in a CCR facility.

You never know.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:12 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

and .... What is DW

Deutsche Welle or DW is a German ....
Parfumeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:29 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

@Midpack, thanks for posting. Very good info all in one place.
Dean56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:19 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, these charts (and the ones in the full report) are "fully packed" with interesting, thought provoking information. Thanks Midpack!!!!!

-BB
Old 06-26-2021, 05:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parfumeur View Post
and .... What is DW

DW= "Dear Wife"
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:31 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmm...chart #7 on Average Spending by Age & Category doesn’t list Taxes as a spending category?

It’s our largest one (Fed, State, Property)
Old 06-26-2021, 08:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefullyoneday View Post
It would be interesting to see what the SS payout at 62 with a 7% annual compounding return would be worth @90
For my situation, MFJ with wife filing spousal at 67, this is my year by year result of waiting at different discount rates, all $ are inflation adjusted. I hit the maximum contribution nearly every year and the graphs are specific to my retirement RMDs, Roth conversions, so YMMV, but the trend will be roughly the same.

Generally, if one of us will make it to age 81, I should wait until my FRA to claim and each year after 81 adds about a year to the optimum, so by age 84, it's a slight benefit to wait to age 70 (at discount rates I tested between 0-7%). For married folks, the statistics are that one of you is likely to live a long time. So the person with the bigger benefit should wait if they can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS 81.jpg (271.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg SS 84.jpg (278.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg SS 90.jpg (294.0 KB, 51 views)
Exchme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:22 PM   #30

Great collection of info... printed and in my retirement notebook.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:10 PM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANOFJESUS View Post
Here is the entire report for 2021. It can be viewed or downloaded
https://am.jpmorgan.com/us/en/asset-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thank you!
AirOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:11 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parfumeur View Post
and .... What is DW

Darling Wife

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...rum-34884.html

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote