Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Party @ your place?
Will you take a rain check?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Rain in South Tx? Come on man...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just got new checks from USAA, free, $6 for 'tracked' shipping. 200 checks. That will last us for about 30 years, give or take a year or so.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Just got new checks from USAA, free, $6 for 'tracked' shipping. 200 checks. That will last us for about 30 years, give or take a year or so.
My old employer thanks you for the extra $5 you donated to their bottom line by selecting the 'tracked' shipping option. Unless you have a known problem with mail theft, save your money.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I've heard of these "check" things. They're printed on "paper," right?
Old 09-28-2010, 06:40 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, those paper things called "checks" are for the folks who go, "eh...a computer, what's that?"
Old 09-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Yeah, those paper things called "checks" are for the folks who go, "eh...a computer, what's that?"
Heck, back before epay, I used to print checks with my computer.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Heck, back before epay, I used to print checks with my computer.
Back in the early 80's a small-town banker called me up to ask if I would help him figure out why the checks from one of the businesses that had an account with him would never process. He brought me a stack of checks saying his processor wouldn't read them and he was tired of having his folks hand-key them.

They'd been printed by a local shop and were very nicely done - except for the failure to realize the "funny numbers" on the bottom line had to be printed using a magnetic ink.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

There was a crook who printed deposit forms like the ones for general use in the bank. Although customers could write in their account number, the magnetic account numbers printed at the bottom belonged to the crook. He placed them in the bank, and everyone who deposited money was unwittingly depositing it into the his account.

I don't know how long he got away with it.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
There was a crook who printed deposit forms like the ones for general use in the bank. Although customers could write in their account number, the magnetic account numbers printed at the bottom belonged to the crook. He placed them in the bank, and everyone who deposited money was unwittingly depositing it into the his account.

I don't know how long he got away with it.
Never heard of that one before. That's a good one. I suppose not too difficult to detect and track down, though.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
There was a crook who printed deposit forms like the ones for general use in the bank.
snopes.com: Deposit Slip Scam

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I used this link and ordered more checks.

The good news, for the price of the check, it was 4 boxes (that's 600 single checks -- this should last me a long time!) for $17.82.

The bad news, shipping. It costed $18.96 for trackable shipping (8-10 business days). (I could have went for the non-trackable shipping for about $11).

Still cheaper than getting them from the bank.
Well, I ended up cancelling my order (over principle and safty ). My order was placed on hold. I wasn't even contacted about the delay but had to inquire one my own.

The reason for the delay was the state where I live in requires a confirmation from my bank. The placed called the bank but the bank refused to give a yes or no confirmation. So, in order to get the order through either I needed to go to my bank and tell them I want checks printed elsewhere and have the place call the individual from the bank or fax a current statement over the the check printing company.

I do understand, we live in a time of security, check and double check (no puns intended). The bank has their policies, the company just follows the law. But as I printed out my bank statement to fax, I said to myself, "what about the safety of the consumer?" I really didn't want to fax my statement showing all bank transactions and images of my cancelled checks to a place I haven't done business with. So I decided to just cancel the order.

Guess we live in an age of "You don't trust me? ... then why should I trust you?" ... sad, but the sign of the times.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #53

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread. I got checks from Walmart, they were about $10 including all delivery costs.

I may use them if I set up a bank account overseas, and I wanted my correct address on my current checks for that reason. I ordered the minimum number, since I rarely use checks, but I think I got something like 125 checks.

Kramer
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:02 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

For Walmart can you order them in-store? Or online only? thx
Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #55

Quote:
For Walmart can you order them in-store? Or online only? thx
I got mine online. I suspect that is the only way. They even generate a full image of the check, with your name and address, during the ordering process so that you can approve it. It was about $9.65 including postage.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Cool.. I may use them when I order next time.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #57

I ordered my last set of checks while I was in the bank. I received them quickly but the fee was $35. A bit too much. I told the banker that I was shocked at the high cost (I actually was shocked) and she immediately put the $35 back into my account. She seemed embarrassed.

Anyhow, I now get my checks through Costco. The cost is quite reasonable.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote