1031 out of company stock into etf?

jyav

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi all,

My company will go public in a couple years. I don't like holding individual stock but also don't want to trigger a tax event.

I was thinking of doing a 1031 "like kind" exchange to sell the company stock and buy an ETF, probably VTI, in a taxable account. But without triggering a taxable event. Can 1031 be used for this purpose?

Not that I am aware of. "Like kind" usually means trading the "same". Like trading a 3 unit apartment building for a 6 unit apartment building; or a local residential rental unit for a vacation residential rental unit. Never heard of trading a business for a ETF of businesses, even if you own a retailer and are buying a retailing ETF.

The only way I'm aware of to defer cap gains on a stock sale is using a Qualified Opportunity Zone, but you'd be buying real estate. Real estate is a great diversifier and there are many passive QOZ investments where you wouldn't need to manage the properties your self.

Look into the 2017 changes to sec. 1031-

The 2017 tax law (Pub. L. No. 115-97), the law that is often referred to as the “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act” (TCJA), made amendments to section 1031 by limiting the like-kind exchange rules to exchanges of real property.

Many years ago I remember reading about a mutual fund that would take individual stock in a tax-free exchange for shares of the fund. They actually took ownership of the "trade-in" stock they received. I don't know how long they held it however.

It was designed specifically for situations like the OP's but it's probably long gone if it ever really existed.

Stock wouldn’t have worked under 1031 before 2017. Now it definitely won’t work.
We used to 1031 business vehicles to no end (pre-2017) and the “gain” on the sale/trade-in was deferred until the next trade-in…forever.
Now a trade-in is reported on 4797 just like the sale of any business property.
The rules really changed for business and investment property in 2017.

I'm not interested in getting into real property as I am overseas and will stay in Asia post retirement. If there is no way to dodge a tax event I guess I know which stock to sell first! Technically I think they are just options right now.

Back
Top Bottom