1095A form is incomplete

teejayevans

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My SLCSP and monthly advance payments columns are all zeros, anyone else seeing this? They sent me a notice that the form is available, this is in Florida if that makes a difference.

DId you get a monthly advance premium tax credit (ie subsidy) or did you pay the full rate?

I downloaded ours on 1/6. All three columns have values for both of us. We received a PTC monthly. We are in Illinois.

I hope I don't need to understand any of this.:blush:

Koolau, you only need to understand it if you purchase health care insurance through healthcare.gov or the state's version of it. You are safe.

Last edited:
Also, if you changed ACA insurance at any time in 2023 (we did, moved states), there will be two 1095s

My form had a. slcsp value which agreed with the value I printed out when shopping my ACA plan 13 months ago. I like to record that value since it allows me to do my taxes in December and put a fine point on my conversions/tIRA withdrawal and associated withholding amounts, all long before they produce the 1095A forms.

We went through that last year. Column B on 1095-A can show zero if the ACA Marketplace determines someone is ineligible for PTC at time of enrollment. It does not mean that the person is ineligible at tax time.

There are multiple places which mention that if someone elected not to receive advance PTC, 1095-A column b will be blank and SLCSP can then be calculated using the healthcare.gov tax tool. For example, from IRS form P4012 page H-9 (VITA/TCE Volunteer Resource Guide) (last year)(bold is mine):

"You may need to look up the SLCSP premium if:

• It is incorrect, perhaps because a change in family size was not reported.

• It is missing. When someone paid the full premium because he or she did not request APTC, Marketplaces routinely leave this space blank.

• There are multiple Forms 1095-A with conflicting information or the taxpayer otherwise thinks it’s incorrect.

The taxpayer should seek a corrected Form 1095-A if information is incorrect, except for SLCSP premium information that can be completed or fixed.

A person may be entitled to PTC even if no APTC was paid for the coverage."

From the healthcare.gov web site (last year):
"How to know if your SLCSP information is correct
Look at Part III, column B of your 1095-A, titled “Monthly second lowest cost silver plan (SLCSP) premium.” It should show figures for each month any household member had the Marketplace plan.
The SLCSP premium is incorrect if:
Part III, Column B has a “0” or is blank for any month someone in your household had the Marketplace plan.

You had changes in your household that you didn’t tell the Marketplace about — like having a baby, moving, getting married or divorced, or losing a dependent.'

Also if you do not claim any advance payment of the premium tax credit, the 1095a shows a zero balance in part III, COLUMN B for the second lowest cost silver plan premium. It has for me for last year and again this year.

What I did was google second lowest silver plan premium form 1095 a. One of the links is to the healthcare.gov website. Surf around and you will find a toolbar that will calculate the premium for you. It needs your zip code.

Good luck.

Good luck.

DId you get a monthly advance premium tax credit (ie subsidy) or did you pay the full rate?

I did not, but the second lowest plan should be filled in?

Do you think that you will qualify for a Premium Tax Credit (PTC) when you file your tax return?

If not and you didn't receive APTC (monthly) then I don't believe that there is any need to file a form 8962 form with your tax return and therefore no need for the 1095-A.

I have purchased healthcare on healthcare.gov for the past several years, but I have never done anything with 1095-A. My case, however, may be different in that I purchased catastrophic insurance only (with an exemption), and that does not qualify for PTC (subsidies), so I don't think a 1095-A is even generated for me. DW's former employer offers a HRA subsidy for retirees that is more generous than the normal PTC.

-gauss

Last edited:
Do you think that you will qualify for a Premium Tax Credit (PTC) when you file your tax return?

If not and you didn't receive APTC (monthly) then I don't believe that there is any need to file a form 8962 form with your tax return and therefore no need for the 1095-A.

I have purchased healthcare on healthcare.gov for the past several years, but I have never done anything with 1095-A. My case, however, may be different in that I purchased catastrophic insurance only (with an exemption), and that does not qualify for PTC (subsidies), so I don't think a 1095-A is even generated for me. DW's former employer offers a HRA subsidy for retirees that is more generous than the normal PTC.

-gauss

Yes, I definitely qualify, I just chose to not take it, so I didn’t have to have taxes withheld on my IRA withdrawals. And the 1095A should always be generated, they can’t know my financial situation.

Also if you do not claim any advance payment of the premium tax credit, the 1095a shows a zero balance in part III, COLUMN B for the second lowest cost silver plan premium. It has for me for last year and again this year.
That's interesting. So if you don't take it in advance, they make you go through an additional step of looking up the SLCSP for yourself. And I imagine there's plenty of people that just don't complete the form and leave money on the table. And then how many people look it up wrong and the form calculates an incorrect amount. Then the IRS letters back and forth until the thing gets straightened out. That's what I call some real wisdom, right there!

The reason I'm interested is because this year I only have two months worth of APTC, so I didn't put in my estimated income; I'm just paying the two months worth. But I expect to get some PTC. As I mentioned, when I shop, I always record the SLCSP, but it often doesn't agree to the penny.

Last edited:
That's interesting. So if you don't take it in advance, they make you go through an additional step of looking up the SLCSP for yourself. And I imagine there's plenty of people that just don't complete the form and leave money on the table. And then how many people look it up wrong and the form calculates an incorrect amount. Then the IRS letters back and forth until the thing gets straightened out. That's what I call some real wisdom, right there!

The reason I'm interested is because this year I only have two months worth of APTC, so I didn't put in my estimated income; I'm just paying the two months worth. But I expect to get some PTC. As I mentioned, when I shop, I always record the SLCSP, but it often doesn't agree to the penny.

This varies by who produces the 1095-A. We did not take any advance premium tax credit last year and our 1095-A from Covered California has the correct SLCSP in column B and zeros in column C. I do a lot of tax returns and have never seen a form from CA that didn't have info in column B.

The IRS isn't that worried about whether someone uses the wrong SLCSP and they won't send letters if it looks reasonable. Even if the 1095-A has something in column B, there are reasons why it might change during the year and not get updated in a timely fashion (somebody was born or died, somebody got a new job that offers coverage, etc) and the IRS doesn't know these things either, so they have no basis to challenge your numbers. You're supposed to go ahead and use the correct SLCSP if the marketplace gave the wrong amount. The IRS will only scrutinize the actual numbers you use for SLCSP if they audit you for that year.

The main thing that generates a letter or a rejected e-file is if you did take APTC and didn't file form 8962.

Koolau, you only need to understand it if you purchase health care insurance through healthcare.gov or the state's version of it. You are safe.

Ahhhhhh! Thanks and blessings.

My SLCSP and monthly advance payments columns are all zeros, anyone else seeing this? They sent me a notice that the form is available, this is in Florida if that makes a difference.

I do taxes, If you do not get an advance they leave that column blank. You have to fill it in yourself or you will not get your subsidy on your tax return. Go to health care .gov and look it up.

Back
Top Bottom