Join Early Retirement Today

1099s
Old 01-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1099s

I was convinced to do primarily indexes last year so have gone from 300-plus trades to slightly over a dozen. With that in mind I'm planning on doing my own taxes this year with a online program and picked TurboTax. Today I saw this on the Schwab website
Quote:
February 1, 2018 February 1-15, 2018 Stocks, options and cash deposit interest.
This date applies to accounts holding investments for which we have all necessary tax information.
Downloads to tax software will be available by February 2nd.

February 15, 2018 February
15-28, 2018 ETFs and mutual funds, fixed income, REITs, UITs, WHFITs, suspect securities, and U.S. and foreign stocks that have been reclassified in the past.
This date also applies to accounts that made a sale or covered a short position in December 2017 or contain at least one investment for which the issuer can’t provide information in time for the earlier mailing.

Starting February 28 Corrected 1099 forms
with that in mind, I think I might not get a late 1099 corrected form (last for 2016 was 10/6/17). Do you wait until you get the final corrected form to file, or do you file once most of them are out say in mid March? I don't mind doing an amended form. But I really hope to avoid that
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Notice it says "starting Feb 28." This means a correction can come along at any time they find a problem. However, I have not seen a corrected copy from Schwab. But I'm sure this happens.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:35 PM   #3

I run the numbers whenever I have all the original 1099s and other docs that I need to fill out the tax forms and then use the bottom line to decide when to file. If they owe us, I file early; if we owe them, I wait until the last minute. There's no way to know whether a corrected 1099 is coming or not, and it's pretty easy to do a 1040X with TurboTax if you need to.

Last year we got a corrected 1099 in March, before we filed, but the correction was so small it didn't even change the amount we owed.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Notice it says "starting Feb 28." This means a correction can come along at any time they find a problem. However, I have not seen a corrected copy from Schwab. But I'm sure this happens.
I w*rked in the industry. Happens all the time, it's the nature of the beast.

IRS changes rules, record layouts, requiring software changes on the record keepers. The IRS don't staff their help lines so if your adjusting software there's no one to talk with!

Of course it's a typical IT project, dollar short and a day late. Then when the first forms are mailed, the fun begins. This is the real QC! This crap's broke!

I'd wait to submit at least 3 weeks after my last corrected return.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #5

So thinking mid March as they owe me 3k. Will amend 10/15/18 if needed. No idea when the last corrected 1099 will come out (got 1 in March for an option, in October for VGR) and I've got 4 yrs to amend
Old 01-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #6

The rules have changed a bit. I believe you should file as soon as you have all materials, whether or not you expect a refund.

The reason is ID theft. Your filing early gives fraudsters less time to file "for" you and ahead of you.

Avoiding the mess that scenario creates is worth more than the interest you'll miss by filing early, or even the cost of amending your return if a late form comes in.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I w*rked in the industry. Happens all the time, it's the nature of the beast.

IRS changes rules, record layouts, requiring software changes on the record keepers. The IRS don't staff their help lines so if your adjusting software there's no one to talk with!

Of course it's a typical IT project, dollar short and a day late. Then when the first forms are mailed, the fun begins. This is the real QC! This crap's broke!

I'd wait to submit at least 3 weeks after my last corrected return.
So, you're the culprit!

One year I had to deal with 2 sets of corrected returns from USAA (for in-laws).

I always wait until April.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We always file in October. We file for an extension in April.

I don't see any benefit to filing early. ID theft with regard to a tax return is not my problem; it is a problem for the IRS.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
ID theft with regard to a tax return is not my problem; it is a problem for the IRS.
You sure about that?
Old 01-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
The rules have changed a bit. I believe you should file as soon as you have all materials, whether or not you expect a refund.

The reason is ID theft. Your filing early gives fraudsters less time to file "for" you and ahead of you.

Avoiding the mess that scenario creates is worth more than the interest you'll miss by filing early, or even the cost of amending your return if a late form comes in.
I always file asap for the above reason. Since we're leaving for vacation I'm filing Saturday morning even if it means filling in a coupe 1099's from my records. Anyway a 1040x is no big deal if required. Just a few clicks and you're done.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:36 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I wish I could file early but the last info we need for DW doesn't arrive until late March.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
So, you're the culprit!

One year I had to deal with 2 sets of corrected returns from USAA (for in-laws).

I always wait until April.
No not me. One thing you learned quickly was not to the expert on tax reporting. 🤣
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:34 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
We always file in October. We file for an extension in April.

I don't see any benefit to filing early. ID theft with regard to a tax return is not my problem; it is a problem for the IRS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You sure about that?
Well, if you are expecting a refund and someone has already filed with your credentials it's going to take a long time to get your refund.

I don't worry about it nearly as much if I am owing. So I do try to owe.

I file as early as I reasonably can. Last year that wasn't until the end of March.

But if someone does steal my identity and file ahead of me I am going to have to deal with inconvenience even if I owe. I'll encounter the inability to file. I'll have to report it. I'll have to fill out paperwork. I'll probably have to deal with maintaining a special PIN in the future. It will be a pain.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

But if someone does steal my identity and file ahead of me I am going to have to deal with inconvenience even if I owe. I'll encounter the inability to file. I'll have to report it. I'll have to fill out paperwork. I'll probably have to deal with maintaining a special PIN in the future. It will be a pain.
Yep, thus the reason for my question.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #15

Re imposter filing. What ever happened to signatures being used to confirm someone's ID? Are they too easily forged? If an imposter fills out a return, he has to sign it, and that signature won't match those on prior returns. The IRS certainly notices if a return is unsigned, so why can't they also compare sigs?
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #16

Ive never signed efiling
Old 01-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don't worry about it nearly as much if I am owing. So I do try to owe.
I'm not sure it really matters if you owe or not based on your real tax situation. The bad guy who files on your behalf always engineers the tax return so there is a refund due, right? The only way to safeguard would be to have no withholding, then even if the bad guy's return for you said you were in the 0% tax bracket, he'd get back 100% of your withholding, which would be $0. But of course we can't get away with having no withholding. So what's at risk, whether your tax situation has you paying or receiving is the withholding amount.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Re imposter filing. What ever happened to signatures being used to confirm someone's ID? Are they too easily forged? If an imposter fills out a return, he has to sign it, and that signature won't match those on prior returns. The IRS certainly notices if a return is unsigned, so why can't they also compare sigs?
Checking to see if a return is signed involves looking at the return to see if there's squiggly ink in the signature area.

Checking to see if that squiggly ink matches your squiggly ink from last year involves finding your last year's return and comparing it. In theory they could look it up if they scanned the returns, but I don't think they do. I think there are a bunch of IRS data entry folks who type in the numbers off of your return and then go from there.

You may already know this, but nobody confirms signatures on checks that are written either unless/until fraud is alleged, then they go back and check the alleged fraudulent item against your signature card. I think the banks long ago determined that it was cheaper to eat the occasional loss (which they might recoup through legal action or maybe insurance) than it was to confirm thousands to millions of signatures every year.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:33 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
They don't keep the old returns, they just key in the number values, and I think they don't even scan the old document.

I've never seen them offer me the ability to view my previous years returns, but I could get a bunch of the line entry numbers on a form of previous returns.

The IRS is too lazy to even bother trying to be smart about ferreting out the fake returns, they could compare previous return values to current year.
Don't mail dozens of refunds to the same address..
Or best of all, they know I'm legit, so send me a secret code number, why wait until my return is faked

Actually the best idea is the IRS should not refund overpayments, just tell the person to pay less tax next year, as $xxx refund is already applied. Then fakers would not be able to get any money. Yes, perhaps death would be valid reason for a refund, but how many times can you die
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:15 PM   #20

Not exactly 1099, but related

I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly how much estimated taxes I need to pay each year. I really don't like the idea that I'm looking at a $4,000 tax refund. I'd rather have access to that money all year long. I know that I've got to pay less than $1,000 in order to not pay a penalty, but which app do you use to figure out exactly how much you're going to end up owing when you don't know what your 1099- consolidated will look like year to year?