Join Early Retirement Today

$150 For Opening a Loan - What's the Catch?
Old 09-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$150 For Opening a Loan - What's the Catch?

Citizen's bank sent me an ad: "For a limited time, receive a $150 Amazon.com Gift Card upon closing on a new personal loan."

According to the ad, all I need to do is close on a $10,000 loan to get the card. The ad specifically says "No fees ever." It goes on to say "$0 origination fee, $0 prepayment penalty and $0 late fees."

So what's to stop me from taking the loan, repaying it in full the next day, and blowing $150 on stuff I don't need from Amazon?

Of course, I have to actually apply before I can see ALL the fine print. I'm guessing there's a catch in there somewhere. Anyone know?

FYI, I don't really care if there's a short-term impact to my credit report. I have no intention of borrowing money or taking out a loan anytime soon, if ever.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Probably nothing to stop immediate payment. They know the odds of that are so slim they can afford a few "flakes".
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:53 PM   #3

What's the interest rate?
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:04 PM   #4

If you can pay off the loan via electronic payment, you'll probably owe 1 or 2 days of interest; seems worthwhile provided no funny fine print such as early payment penalty.

P.S. Sorry for this off topic comment but it is funny. A few years ago I got an unsolicited letter advising I was pre-approved for a loan. One of the loan's benefits, according to the letter was "No late payment fee if you pay on time!"
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
If you can pay off the loan via electronic payment, you'll probably owe 1 or 2 days of interest; seems worthwhile provided no funny fine print such as early payment penalty.

P.S. Sorry for this off topic comment but it is funny. A few years ago I got an unsolicited letter advising I was pre-approved for a loan. One of the loan's benefits, according to the letter was "No late payment fee if you pay on time!"
My thought is maybe they're charging 18% interest and there is a minimum of 1 month interest no matter how quickly you pay it off = $150
Old 09-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bingo!

$10,000 minimum loan, 1.5%/mo, 1 month minimum charge.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:17 PM   #7

It may be real.

I was given three checks to write up to my credit limit, and I would still get rewards. ~$25K at the time. I wrote all three, one at a time, and received $650 back in rewards. It cost about $200 (at 18%) to do it. The rewards were Speedy Rewards checks, only redeemable at the gas station. They came in a manually addressed envelope.

The next offer was not good for rewards bonuses.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
What's the interest rate?
"Fixed rates as low as 6.79% APR" according to the ad.

So is the consensus that I'd have to pay at least one month's interest?

That brings the "take" down to under $100. Probably not worth the time it'll take to wade through the fine print, and the risk that I'll end up somehow paying more in interest than I get back.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
"Fixed rates as low as 6.79% APR" according to the ad.

So is the consensus that I'd have to pay at least one month's interest?

That brings the "take" down to under $100. Probably not worth the time it'll take to wade through the fine print, and the risk that I'll end up somehow paying more in interest than I get back.
I would simply call their customer service number and directly ask the question.

However, in general, applying for a loan is more time consuming and involved than the credit card or bank account bonus offers. There are still plenty of bank account and credit card offers paying $100 to $750 which simply take a couple minutes to do online.