Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
16.5 million is owed to me
Old 07-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,838
16.5 million is owed to me

I just got an email from a high ranking official at the FBI .
For the mere sum of $180 USD I can receive 16.5 Million USD from...... you ready for this? The Minister of Cambodia Excellency Hun Sen.
I wonder if they would send me $16499820? Well i think about that later. They are giving me 2 methods to get this money, a check, or an ATM card that I can draw $5,000 a day from as long as it has a master card logo. The ATM card needs to be renewed in 2022 for some reason. Oh wait further reading this email says that the ATM option "comes with a handbook or manual to enlighten you about how to use it. Even if you do not have a bank account."
And it has a 100 % money back Guarantee. I did a little google research and found out that the country has less than 16 million people, this means everyone there is sort of giving me over a dollar a person.
I wonder if they read some of my posts on how to shore up social security and really want me for their finance minster. Flattery will get them very far with me.
It has an 855 number to call to make the arrangements. I wonder if it comes with a 1099? Wish my friend with the hex was still here, I would use his phone to call them.
This windfall had opened up so many problems for me, should I dollar cost average it? Lump sum it? Put in a laddered CD, just take the trusty ATM card I might be able to squeak by on the 35K a week. Then again there is the tax considerations. they didnt address that .
__________________
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,838
This is what happens when you dont read things thoroughly. They do address the tax situation. Taxes are all taken care of already, Thats a load off my mind.
__________________
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
16.5 million is owed to me
Old 07-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,069
16.5 million is owed to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I just got an email from a high ranking official at the FBI .
For the mere sum of $180 USD I can receive 16.5 Million USD from...... you ready for this? The Minister of Cambodia Excellency Hun Sen.
I wonder if they would send me $16499820? Well i think about that later. They are giving me 2 methods to get this money, a check, or an ATM card that I can draw $5,000 a day from as long as it has a master card logo. The ATM card needs to be renewed in 2022 for some reason. Oh wait further reading this email says that the ATM option "comes with a handbook or manual to enlighten you about how to use it. Even if you do not have a bank account."
And it has a 100 % money back Guarantee. I did a little google research and found out that the country has less than 16 million people, this means everyone there is sort of giving me over a dollar a person.
I wonder if they read some of my posts on how to shore up social security and really want me for their finance minster. Flattery will get them very far with me.
It has an 855 number to call to make the arrangements. I wonder if it comes with a 1099? Wish my friend with the hex was still here, I would use his phone to call them.
This windfall had opened up so many problems for me, should I dollar cost average it? Lump sum it? Put in a laddered CD, just take the trusty ATM card I might be able to squeak by on the 35K a week. Then again there is the tax considerations. they didnt address that .


Send them back a letter stating you absolutely would like to proceed, but in order for you to process the $180 and send them their check you need a $50 deposit sent you first. They might laugh so hard they send you a quick 50 for the good spirit. And you'll have the best story ever.
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Send them back a letter stating you absolutely would like to proceed, but in order for you to process the $180 and send them their check you need a $50 deposit sent you first. They might laugh so hard they send you a quick 50 for the good spirit. And you'll have the best story ever.
.. The letter goes on to say its usually $420, Guess they know I like a bargain.
__________________
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:06 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,644
Someone needs to provide a "rent a hacker" service-kind of like Uber. For a fee, a hacker would trace the message, and send in a virus that would destroy all of their equipment. Or attach ransom ware that could only be removed it "they use a credit card with the MC logo on it.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:08 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,205
Wow! I don't suppose you can share with us what you did before you FIRED to get the Minister of Cambodia so deeply in your debt? I'm sure it would be an interesting story to tell!

Me? Somehow, fixing teeth in Upstate NY, I managed to get the "Comptroller" of Nigeria several million dollars into my debt, and received a similar opportunity to collect said monies. It's been a few years since I sent the several thousands needed on his part to free up the cash, but it's good to know it will be coming along one of these days to stoke my FIRE.

Congratulations on this great windfall!
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:10 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: philly
Posts: 1,143
Blue Collar,
I'll happily loan you the 180 because I found out that I actually have a Nigerian prince as a cousin. He, of course is leaving Nigeria due to all the political strife and in order to have his wealth transferred to bank in the UK, all he needs is 250.00 USD. As his cousin he's willing to give me 1 million USD if I simply help him out.

And here I thought my family was from Brooklyn?
__________________
My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being "normal" is not necessarily a virtue? it sometimes rather denotes a lack of courage~Aunt Francis
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Drinks all around!
Old 07-20-2017, 06:48 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Mdlerth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: The Shire
Posts: 1,504
Drinks all around!

Mazeltov, BCG! Seems like good fortune is affecting everybody here!

Why, just recently I was sent notification that I had won the People's Postcode Lottery! How awesome is that, since I never even had to purchase a ticket?

I can't describe just how thrilling it was, especially since it was sent to me by none other than Baron Wheels himself! It's not every day that a commoner like me receives missives from the aristocracy. And all it will take is a small processing fee to get my jackpot shipped. What could be simpler?

I had been forecasting TMYs, but once they back that dump truck full of money down my driveway - any day now - it'll be adios to the w*rking world and hello freedom!
__________________
Paying it forward is the best investment.
Mdlerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
latexman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Apex
Posts: 380
It's usually $420? Or, is that the NORML amount? Such a curious choice. I wonder if this "high ranking official at the FBI" inhales?
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 11,444
You are all having wonderful luck . I on the other hand had to bail my grandson out of a Mexican jail where he was on spring break . This was a shock to me as he is five .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Marita40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 1,455
Yes, you are all doing so much better than I am. All I have to boast about these days is that Rachel from Cardholding Services is calling me several times each day from different local-looking numbers to invite me to apply for lower interest rates for my non-existing credit card debt. I feel very honored that she is so insistent.
Marita40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Belleville, ONT
Posts: 7,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Rachel from Cardholding Services is calling me several times each day .
Rachel? Rachel is calling you? Why, that fickle......
__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rustic23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lake Livingston, Tx
Posts: 4,070
Obvious scam "DUH" the Minister of Finance is H.E. Aun Pornmoniroth. Interesting he is fluent in English and Russian. French use to be the educated language of Cambodia.

? ?? :: H.E. Aun Pornmoniroth
__________________
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
It has an 855 number to call to make the arrangements. I wonder if it comes with a 1099? Wish my friend with the hex was still here, I would use his phone to call them.
You might look into the Burner app...<g>

https://www.burnerapp.com/
Exrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 48
IMG_0793.JPG
__________________
You are not fully diversified unless part of your portfolio is underperforming.
AginMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 211
You only got an email?

I got actual mail requests from the "prince" postmarked from the UK --- a few years ago

(can't remember how much they wanted to transfer the millions over)
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 7,264
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
All my special offers get shuffled off to the junk folder to be erased every week.

The phone calls for the free credit increase get duly recorded on my dumb voicemail. "Press 1 now!"
__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Someone needs to provide a "rent a hacker" service-kind of like Uber. For a fee, a hacker would trace the message, and send in a virus that would destroy all of their equipment. Or attach ransom ware that could only be removed it "they use a credit card with the MC logo on it.
I like it. Being they had the nerve to mention some InterPro FBI persons name in it I wanted to forward it to the real FBI,but I think they have better things to do.
__________________
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
Wow! I don't suppose you can share with us what you did before you FIRED to get the Minister of Cambodia so deeply in your debt? I'm sure it would be an interesting story to tell!

Me? Somehow, fixing teeth in Upstate NY, I managed to get the "Comptroller" of Nigeria several million dollars into my debt, and received a similar opportunity to collect said monies. It's been a few years since I sent the several thousands needed on his part to free up the cash, but it's good to know it will be coming along one of these days to stoke my FIRE.

Congratulations on this great windfall!
hahaha,
__________________
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Blue Collar,
I'll happily loan you the 180 because I found out that I actually have a Nigerian prince as a cousin. He, of course is leaving Nigeria due to all the political strife and in order to have his wealth transferred to bank in the UK, all he needs is 250.00 USD. As his cousin he's willing to give me 1 million USD if I simply help him out.

And here I thought my family was from Brooklyn?
Glad to see I roll with good company, I was thinking only I was getting these windfalls.
__________________
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Debts owed to an estate... Leonidas FIRE and Money 53 02-20-2016 12:35 PM
I Owed AT&T 10 cents! mickeyd Other topics 12 06-07-2015 04:22 PM
how to get divorce money you are owed? smjsl FIRE and Money 21 03-14-2010 06:56 PM
How many kinds of taxes are owed when someone dies? km4hr FIRE and Money 13 09-20-2007 09:24 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.