1st Time Estimated Taxpayer: Filing Docs?

Trooper

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hi...Tax year 2017 is the first year we are required to make estimated tax payments. I Just made our 4th quarter one today.

I read IRS Pub 505, but it wasn't clear as to whether I will receive documentation from the IRS as to the amount of my payments prior to filing our taxes. I make our payments through EFTPS, so I guess that site could substantiate the payments, but wondering if we should expect something in the mail from the IRS.

Thanks.

I've being paying estimated taxes for ten years now (use EFTPS) and have never received a statement. I do, however, save the payment receipts that EFTPS provides.

Last edited:
I've being paying estimated taxes for ten years now (use EFTPS) and have never received a statement. I do, however, save the payment receipts that EPTPS provides.

Exactly what I do.

+1 to all the above. I always logon to EFTPS and my state online tax center when I'm doing my taxes, to verify what I've already paid.

I pay online (just did it today in fact :) ). I save a pdf copy of the payment receipts to my "2017 Taxes" folder on google drive to substantiate the fact that I paid the taxes.

Thanks everyone. I maintain a spreadsheet with the dates and amounts of the payments, along with the confirmation numbers that are provided by EFTPS and my state tax efile system.

Hi...Tax year 2017 is the first year we are required to make estimated tax payments. I Just made our 4th quarter one today.
They could be necessary for you, but not everyone. IRA withdrawals can be used to pay taxes instead without doing quarterlies. Going on 7 years now.

I started estimated payments in 2015 and use the newer IRS Direct Pay system. I get an immediate email confirmation of payment and just file a copy in the current year tax file along with other tax records. Of course, it's also stored in the Excel file I use to calculate each quarterly payment.

I started estimated payments in 2015 and use the newer IRS Direct Pay system. I get an immediate email confirmation of payment and just file a copy in the current year tax file along with other tax records. Of course, it's also stored in the Excel file I use to calculate each quarterly payment.

Same here, except I take a screenshot as well and save it in the current tax year directory.

Do the same for my State.

I read IRS Pub 505, but it wasn't clear as to whether I will receive documentation from the IRS as to the amount of my payments prior to filing our taxes. I make our payments through EFTPS, so I guess that site could substantiate the payments, but wondering if we should expect something in the mail from the IRS.

Thanks.

Nope - nada.

EFTPS confirmations and history is the only way I know other than your own meticulous records.

I assume the IRS will eventually let you know if they disagree.

I have been making estimated payments off and on since the late 1990s, when my investment income began rising and I was not in the "safe harbor" all the time without it. I has been only the last few years I began making the payments electronically for both federal and state, but only in the 4th quarter. I get electronic confirmations which I print out for my records, and I see the transaction on my bank statement and through my online banking. I also enter it on the worksheet which is part of the paper version of the estimated tax payment forms.

In my personal spreadsheet such as the one I have which mimics a checkbook register, the payment amount is linked to a skeleton version of my income tax forms elsewhere in the spreadsheet.

I just logged into the EFTPS website, because I was sure that I could go back in and see a history of payments. A new service has been added: email confirmation. Here's the message on the main screen. Email includes reminder emails and confirmation emails. So I signed up.

Email notifications are now available from EFTPS. EFTPS will send you an email when you schedule a payment in EFTPS or when your payment status changes. To sign up to begin receiving emails click Email Address Management

But to get back to how to see a history of payments. After you log in, click the Payments menu (across the top), then click Check Payment History (left side menu). You can then see a payment history over the last 30 days to 16 months (selectable).

- Rita

Back
Top Bottom