Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ah, you remember.

What happened was that my "hot" stocks turned "cold". Remember that I said I had a bit of chip (semiconductor) stocks? I suspected that they went too high, sold a bunch of out-of-the-money April call options on them, and many of them went way past the strike prices.

The calls got exercised, and I had a lot of stocks turned into cash. I had a good gain. But they continued to go even higher. I then sold May put options to buy them back at the price I sold them at. They dropped and dropped. One by one, the put options got exercised and I had all my stinkin' shares back.

If nothing else, I should be still ahead because I got all the shares back, PLUS the premiums I got from the calls AND the puts. Right?

But, but, but the commander-in-chief put the axe down on Huawei. That blow devastated the entire semiconductor sector. Oh pain!

Of course not all of my loss was due to these chip stock shares, as the total market went down too. The semiconductors just went down more than the market.

And that's the story. They are slowly climbing back up. I am watching.

PS. In hindsight, if I just stayed in cash after the call options got exercised, I would have a lot of cash to buy many shares back at lower prices than when I sold. But, but, but greed got the best of me, and I just loved my stocks, and had to sell put options to buy them back. Yep, greed.

PPS. I am still up nicely for the year though. It might be gone again. Tough business, this stock market.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2019, 05:56 PM   #182
Give me a forum ...

Just looked to see that I have collected $48K cash YTD from selling these options. That pays for my groceries. And travel expenses. And utility bills. And booze, and what have you.

But, but, but the shares lose values. Argh!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-07-2019, 06:33 PM   #183
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I read that article. If I lived in Chicago, New York, or California, I would need $2.5 - $3.0 mil to feel ok (for 2 persons). Living in NC, I'll be fine with a NW of $1.5 - $1.7 mil to FIRE .. with $1 mil liquid at least.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:26 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Ah, you remember.

What happened was that my "hot" stocks turned "cold". Remember that I said I had a bit of chip (semiconductor) stocks? I suspected that they went too high, sold a bunch of out-of-the-money April call options on them, and many of them went way past the strike prices.

The calls got exercised, and I had a lot of stocks turned into cash. I had a good gain. But they continued to go even higher. I then sold May put options to buy them back at the price I sold them at. They dropped and dropped. One by one, the put options got exercised and I had all my stinkin' shares back.

If nothing else, I should be still ahead because I got all the shares back, PLUS the premiums I got from the calls AND the puts. Right?

But, but, but the commander-in-chief put the axe down on Huawei. That blow devastated the entire semiconductor sector. Oh pain!

Of course not all of my loss was due to these chip stock shares, as the total market went down too. The semiconductors just went down more than the market.

And that's the story. They are slowly climbing back up. I am watching.

PS. In hindsight, if I just stayed in cash after the call options got exercised, I would have a lot of cash to buy many shares back at lower prices than when I sold. But, but, but greed got the best of me, and I just loved my stocks, and had to sell put options to buy them back. Yep, greed.

PPS. I am still up nicely for the year though. It might be gone again. Tough business, this stock market.
I remembered those great gains for April! Lol Interesting stuff NW-Bound but it is so over my head if I tried that I would have to go back to work. Thanks
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Yikes! $20M at 3.5% withdrawal, which is generally considered a perpetual withdrawal rate, is $700K per year. That is your standard for "comfortable"?
Agreed - a that income you can most certainly fly first class anywhere, and you can even afford to charter a private jet for trips.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Agreed - a that income you can most certainly fly first class anywhere, and you can even afford to charter a private jet for trips.
First class yes. Dunno about chartered jets. It depends on where you want to go.

Domestic trips can be made with little jets at the cost of $4K/hr. However, long-range flights need to be made with bigger jets, and they run $11K/hr.

At the above rate, just flying from US West Coast to Paris and back will blow a huge hole in the $700K/year budget.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #187
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
First class yes. Dunno about chartered jets. It depends on where you want to go.

Domestic trips can be made with little jets at the cost of $4K/hr. However, long-range flights need to be made with bigger jets, and they run $11K/hr.

At the above rate, just flying from US West Coast to Paris and back will blow a huge hole in the $700K/year budget.
Somehow, I am sure, that chartering cost can be turned into a business write off!
Old 06-07-2019, 10:44 PM   #188
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housewife View Post
Haha, I wish. I just happen to live in a HCOL area, where property tax starts at ~$10k for a small fixer upper and easily runs to $20k for an average home. Our HC premium is $25k with a $11k deductible for a family of four. That does not include any dental expenses, or orthodontist treatment for children. Adding food, utilities, cars/gas, insurance, etc., it would be quite heroic for a family of four to maintain a normal living on $38k/year (or even $75k/year) budget in the area, without receiving something (food, housing, health care, etc) that is heavily subsidized.

Now, that is just basic living. To achieve a middle class living, there are additional expenses such as entertainment, travel, kids EC activities (sports, music, summer camps, etc.). That could be easily $20-30k. Those may not be absolute necessities, but we all incur those expenses.

I suppose it all comes down to where you live. $4-5mm NW might be a large sum in some areas, but may not be quite as reassuring in others. I remember reading an article on financial samurai. A two income family with children in Brooklyn, making $500k (I think). After all said and done they do not have much $ left after expenses. The article went through a detailed run down of their expenses / cash flows. The conclusion is that they are actually doing slightly better than breaking even (eg, in fact they are saving something through 401k), but their “core” expenses are indeed quite high. At that level of expenses, $4-5mm NW certainly would not make that couple feel wealthy.

So the key seems to be, accumulate the nest egg as quickly as possible, and move to LCOL area to make the most of it
I read the article about the Brooklyn family. Then they toss in stuff like $12k a year on a personal trainer, $35k for 3 or 4 gowns, $45k for a nanny, $64k private school, etc.

I live very comfortably on less than what wife pays for her gowns.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:31 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I hit the bank site and added up the last 12 months. Two hundred and thirty five grand!

Woo-Hoo, Blow That Dough!

Wow, that’s some impressive dough blowing! Enjoy!! [emoji322]
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:37 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift View Post
We 'snowbird' to Hawaii. COL a bit more than the Seattle area, but the water/beaches make it worth every penny to us. The diving is not world class, but nice.

Yes Hawaii is nice for sure. We somewhat prefer the Caribbean but need to spend more time in Hawaii.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:42 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When I mentioned real poverty I meant Caribbean islands, Mexico, etc. I just noticed that the standard of living in Europe wasn’t as high as ours especially in Poland.

Depends how you define standard of living. Yes we have more luxuries in the US, but one could argue that Europeans have a better standard of living with their easy access to multiple cultures, better appreciation for work/life balance, and access to low cost quality healthcare.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:54 AM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Depends how you define standard of living. Yes we have more luxuries in the US, but one could argue that Europeans have a better standard of living with their easy access to multiple cultures, better appreciation for work/life balance, and access to low cost quality healthcare.
Agree. I think 'standard of living' and 'quality of life' are also slightly different things.

If your measure is how many TV's, dishwashers and cars you own that's a different standard. We had neighbors in France who's lifestyle most in the US would envy but they had a tiny apartment, no car but very little stress, great food (and wine) and lots of diversions.

Having worked there for years I can say that nobody breaks a sweat on the job, or 'sweats' the job.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:32 AM   #193
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I hit the bank site and added up the last 12 months. Two hundred and thirty five grand!

Woo-Hoo, Blow That Dough!
Just think, Robby, if you would have blown another $15K you could be sayin' you "blew a quarter of a Million"!
Old 06-08-2019, 07:26 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Exactly!

What's most important here (from my point of view), is not that those in HCOL areas could spend less for the same lifestyle in an LCOL area. We all know that can be done. But many people have very good reasons to live in HCOL locations, such as family, friends, surroundings that they enjoy, and many other reasons.

What I am trying to say is that I regard HCOL location as being a purchase and the important thing for all of us to realize what we are purchasing and for how much. For example, if someone lives in an area that costs them $20K/year more than another area, are they getting sufficient value for their money out of that $20K/year purchase? If so, great! Often it is. If not, relocating is always an option.

By discussions like the present one, we can figure out how much we are paying for location and figure out if it is worth it for us.
But a HCOL area probably means your annual spend (and mAGI from withdrawals to support that spend) can't be low enough for ACA subsidies.

We are fortunate that my wife's employer picks up most of the cost of our family plan...we 'only' pay ~$10k/year vs. ~$25k unsubsidized ACA.

Living a LCOL lifestyle in our MCOL area means if she lost her job it would be relatively easy to 'manage' our mAGI for significant ACA subsidies.

Doesn't apply to early retirees, but property taxes here are also cut in half for those 65+ with annual income (counting SS) under $30,000.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Agree. I think 'standard of living' and 'quality of life' are also slightly different things.

If your measure is how many TV's, dishwashers and cars you own that's a different standard. We had neighbors in France who's lifestyle most in the US would envy but they had a tiny apartment, no car but very little stress, great food (and wine) and lots of diversions.

Having worked there for years I can say that nobody breaks a sweat on the job, or 'sweats' the job.
I agree that American culture is too materialistic. But speaking of sweat, I do not mind working a bit harder to have A/C for the summer.