$2.27 million to feel wealthy - 3% withdrawal rate

According to this 2.3 million of net worth puts you in the top 95%.

Yeah, that's pretty rich!

That's the oddity of saving. As a net worth 2.3 million is pretty rare. But 90k per year is good but not nearly as exceptional. We think of them as basically the same thing most people don't.

I am not wealthy, but comfortable.

I have enough to be able to spend the same as when I still worked, if I want. And all this without working, and just putzing around when not traveling or working on DIY projects, is great.

And I am lucky to have a networth significantly higher than that $2.27M, heh heh heh...

But then, I did not retire really early at 30 or 40 like some youngins. It's all fair, heh heh heh...

So just curious, what amount would be wealthy to some of you?

I would say 2.3M is pretty nice stash and would be wealthy to 90 plus percent of the people.

IMO, wealthy would be around 5M. At 2.3M and 4% WR,- that allows less than $100k annual spending. Tough to buy luxury items that the wealthy enjoy on $100k

If to be able to buy luxury items is rich, then $100K/year does not cut it. My expenses ran over that in past years, and no way I can afford a Hermès bag if my wife wanted one.

And of course my dear wife never wanted something like that. She would not be my wife if she did, heh heh heh...

IMO, wealthy would be around 5M. At 2.3M and 4% WR,- that allows less than $100k annual spending. Tough to buy luxury items that the wealthy enjoy on $100k
Gotcha! Wealth is a different number for most people but I see everyone here as wealthy in one way or another.

If to be able to buy luxury items is rich, then $100K/year does not cut it. My expenses ran over that in past years, and no way I can afford a Hermès bag if my wife wanted one.

And of course my dear wife never wanted something like that. She would not be my wife if she did, heh heh heh...

Now, NW-Bound I would bet you could splurge just one time, for a Hermès bag for your wife. Now tell us the truth. Lol

Gotcha! Wealth is a different number for most people but I see everyone here as wealthy in one way or another.

True. Although some of us complain that we aren’t wealthy, most of us here are wealthy as measured in health and happiness.

I have everything I need and most of what I have ever wanted. QED - I am wealthy.

Now, NW-Bound I would bet you could splurge just one time, for a Hermès bag for your wife. Now tell us the truth. Lol

My wife is a low-key, low-maintenance woman. She's just happy as she is, and spends much less on toys than I do.

When we were at the Hermès store window, we saw that they had a wallet for more than 2,000 euros (a bitty wallet, not a bag). She said "I can do a lot more with that money than to spend it on a wallet".

That's my wife!

For early retirement the way I see it, you need $1,000 a month to live a spartan, but still comfortable, life in most of the world (expat in Latin America, South East Asia, Eastern Europe, etc).

At $1,500 a month a single person can live a very nice standard of living in the places mentioned above or afford a transient lifestyle in the US/Europe, i.e. purchase a used travel trailer, RV, or van and travel the US.

At $2,000 a month you can live a pretty luxurious life as an expat or you can start to afford a stationary lifestyle in the US, if you chose a reasonable location. Purchase a house outright for $100k or so, and $2k a month is plenty to live on. There are small/dying rural places all over the US where this is feasible.

In regards to a 3% withdrawal rate. I kind of look at that as the optimal amount, because I want excess growth above the inflation rate.

My rough plan right now is to use Vanguard's High Dividend Yield Index, and invest enough so that the yearly dividend income is $18k a year (i.e. $1,500 a month). At that point I can go slow travel most of the world, starting out with a standard of living not really any different than what I currently have, and then come back to the US at 60+ to live a stationary retirement.

I have around $417k in VHYAX with guesstimate of $14k div income this year. Last 5 year avg div growth is 8.66%. My guess is dividends will grow around 5%-10% every year. The div yield on VHYAX is usually around 3%.

For age 60+ I currently have around $100k in 401k/Roth IRA and 18 years in a pension by year end. Guesstimate on current value of the pension is around $600k. Pension has a yearly 3% COLA once I can start collecting on it at 60+.

I'm 43, tentative plan for a long time has been to do something different once I hit 45. Leaning towards slow-travel expat.

I'll have 20 years in the pension by 45. Take home expenses, excluding health care insurance and taxes, are currently around $30k. W-2 income is around $73k. I'm saving a lot of money every year and dividends are getting large enough where the internal compounding is significant.

In two years I'll have a descent amount of cash on hand and dividend income will probably be pretty close to $18k. By 52 div income should be pretty close to $30k. By the time I hit 60 and can collect on the pension and 401k, my div income alone will be around $57k. From 60+ I'll have more income than I did while working full time and it'll be growing fast every year.

So basically, I start out at age 45 with $1,500 a month expating in Mexico, Thailand, etc. Every year, I'll have more money to spend and can travel to more expensive locations. By the time I'm 60 I can start going to Europe, Australia, Japan, US, etc.

First, my target was 1M
Then, when I got there it was 1.5M
Then....2M
Ditto 2.5 M
The goalposts keep changing.
Perhaps time to kick the field goal?!

Victory formation?

aka....kneel down :dance:

First, my target was 1M
Then, when I got there it was 1.5M
Then....2M
Ditto 2.5 M
The goalposts keep changing.
Perhaps time to kick the field goal?!
Kook - that sounds exactly like me.

• When I hit $1M, I knew it wasn't enough.
  • When I hit $1.5M, it was enough to be able to do a little travel.
  • When I hit $2M, I could double the travel budget.
  • Then, my wife said she wants a house with a pool, PV system, and dive compressor. Try that one in Hawaii for under $1M!
  • Current goal is FIRE at $3.0M+, 54th birthday.
  • I think I'm going to kick, and hope that the ball goes far enough and straght enough that after 4 to 5 years travel, I'll be able to settle down and buy that house for my wife!
Bit of a gamble, but isn't all of life!

Last edited:
From some of the posts from my friends on FB, it's clear that "millionaire" and especially "multimillionaire" are pejoratives. Clearly anyone who got to that point lied, cheated, stole and oppressed the masses somehow.

And I remember when it was something to strive for!
(the money, not the cheating and lying...oppressing the masses is a matter of taste, I suppose)

Another reason I will never be on fecesbook

I feel grateful that we can live the lifestyle we do in a relatively high COL area and not have to work. I’m grateful that we can travel for several months per year also. I suppose relative to many, we are wealthy, but I don’t think of us as wealthy. We drive 2007 cars, buy clothes on sale at Land’s End, Kohl’s, Macy’s and Target, and don’t use valet parking if we don’t have to.

I’m not sure what a “wealthy” NW would be to me, but I think of my former boss as wealthy. He and his wife own multiple large very nice homes in HCOL areas, a 77 ft yacht, and they just bought a huge custom built RV. He drives a Ferrari and she just bought a new BMW. They are quite conservative with finances so I am confident they have loads of cash left after paying for all of these luxury items. That is a level of wealth we will never attain. Even they may not feel wealthy though. No private jet as far as I know. There is always someone else who has more wealth.

I’m not sure what a “wealthy” NW would be to me, but I think of my former boss as wealthy. He and his wife own multiple large very nice homes in HCOL areas, a 77 ft yacht, and they just bought a huge custom built RV. He drives a Ferrari and she just bought a new BMW. They are quite conservative with finances so I am confident they have loads of cash left after paying for all of these luxury items.
THey appear to be quite wealthy, but with the cost of all that, I find it just as likely that they're up to their eyeballs in debt. Guess I can't fathom the annual cash flow required for that lifestyle. Taking care of the yacht alone must consume a couple mil per year!

Any old timers on this forum remember when posters went thru a period of bragging how un wealthy er I mean how low our expense budget was or could be?

:dance: :dance: :dance: :D

Dryer sheets, Four Yorkshiremen, etc, etc.

heh heh heh - over 25 years, 1993 till now I don't 'really' consider it being wealthy just a loss of shall we say 'discipline'. :rolleyes:

I can - in my heart - get frugal if necessary. Right?

At $5M nw, my wife still thinks we're just a step removed from the poverty line :)

But I'm making progress - by running various retirement calculators, I think I've gotten through to her that we're "ok"

My wife is a low-key, low-maintenance woman. She's just happy as she is, and spends much less on toys than I do.

When we were at the Hermès store window, we saw that they had a wallet for more than 2,000 euros (a bitty wallet, not a bag). She said "I can do a lot more with that money than to spend it on a wallet".

That's my wife!
Yep, I get it. My wife is the same way and would never dream of spending money like that on a bag. Lol We are lucky to have a partner like that.

Any old timers on this forum remember when posters went thru a period of bragging how un wealthy er I mean how low our expense budget was or could be?

:dance: :dance: :dance: :D

Dryer sheets, Four Yorkshiremen, etc, etc.

heh heh heh - over 25 years, 1993 till now I don't 'really' consider it being wealthy just a loss of shall we say 'discipline'. :rolleyes:

I can - in my heart - get frugal if necessary. Right?

It was only 10 years ago, during the Great Recession. I think we will get a chance to go through another one like that before I croak. :LOL:

I knew at 55 that things were looking pretty good for DW and I. Working in WY/PA/WV coal mines for 35 years, I knew we were blessed with good fortune and health.

I had several hourly guys that worked for me who owned large family farms, worked in the mines part of the day, then went home to manage small herds of cattle, grow corn and hay to feed them. Great men, hard workers, could always count on them to get a job done, always smiling. Several of them hit it big with the shale gas; one guy worked for a year collecting $60,000 a month in gas royalties; thought it was a big farce and was going to crap out after a few months. Others kept working for a year or two, because they didn't want their co workers to think they were rich. Some waited til 55(and 30 years) to get their union medical card. Always felt pretty happy for them, even though we made it different ways. The one guy still tends to his cattle, cuts hay, grows corn but has a real pretty barn, beautiful fence line and fence, shiny tractor and even a bigger smile.

It's all a matter of perspective I guess. I feel wealthy when I think about it at all. I'm wealthy because I don't have to work anymore if I don't want to. There isn't much that I want that I don't have. And if I really wanted it I could. My life is very full.

Same here. We feel wealthy. Fortunate too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom