Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2017, 08:15 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Well done. The good news is - the second one is easier.
+1 - Or so I've been told (winking).
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2017, 08:19 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I don't normally include my personal residence equity since I have have to live somewhere. I count liquid net worth except for estate planning. For planning I leave out dots and commas.
If the goal is counting commas, convert to another currency such as yen.

Congrats on your milestone.... many more to come.
Used to be able to use the Italian lira for that too, but alas, that's gone. Number of millionaires in Italy decreased by a lot.....
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Used to be able to use the Italian lira for that too, but alas, that's gone. Number of millionaires in Italy decreased by a lot.....
That used to be one of my favorite lines. If I heard a price that I thought was high. I used to say " 30,000 Lira of American?" hahahaha
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeRat1 View Post
Congratulations !!!!!

I retired at 52, have not touched my 401K other than roll it over to an IRA with Fidelity..... I am $4492.22 from two commas, this is just my IRA ...... So close, maybe next week it will happen Another Milestone
You are allowed to count your savings and checking accounts as well ..... Its the total amount of $$$ you have, not restricted by the account type.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats, OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Set your sights on getting the third now, no rest for the wicked 😈
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I guess that's because it's better to skip a comma than a period. But YMMV.
But seriously, congratulations on your milestone!
I'm going to have to watch out for you two, aren't I? Your comments nearly made me choke on my water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
You are allowed to count your savings and checking accounts as well ..... Its the total amount of $$$ you have, not restricted by the account type.
Agree.

While I don't scrounge in the couch for dropped change or tally the bills in my wallet, I do count savings and checking accounts. It's a loose total, sure, but markets fluctuate just like checking accounts, so I just add it all together. Having a total is just for fun, anyway, so why not?
always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
That used to be one of my favorite lines. If I heard a price that I thought was high. I used to say " 30,000 Lira or American?" hahahaha
. I needed to correct it from "of" to "or"
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Decimal Period or Decimal Comma; 3.14159
Old 07-16-2017, 08:05 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Decimal Period or Decimal Comma; 3.14159

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Must be American if you use commas vs. periods.
With an American lifetime of using the period as the decimal point (and two degrees in math), it's disconcerting to me to read numbers using the comma for that purpose. Is that just my American insularity? Maybe not. Here is a reference on the subject:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark
Countries where a dot "." is used as decimal mark include the United Kingdom and the United States. That is the custom in India, China, and Japan, too according to my source. So it seems that most people on Earth today use the period as I do, not that I feel great compulsion to go with the majority. Just that it is convenient.
Ted_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_learning View Post
It's a loose total, sure, but markets fluctuate just like checking accounts, so I just add it all together. Having a total is just for fun, anyway, so why not?
I mark to market almost every business day to see the total value of my retirement stash. That calculation is easy and fast with internet access to stock and fund values (and a spread sheet to do the arithmetic). Separately, I add in the value of my two unmortgaged family homes and some empty land, vestige of the family farm. The value of my primary residence has been fairly stable with some long term growth, but recently, according to zillow, the house dropped over 12%. That doesn't matter; my houses are not for sale. If that drop helps keep my property taxes down, it's all to the good. The house is just as homey regardless of what zillow thinks.
Ted_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #49

Congrats! Remember the first million is the hardest.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Shepherd View Post
With an American lifetime of using the period as the decimal point (and two degrees in math), it's disconcerting to me to read numbers using the comma for that purpose. Is that just my American insularity? Maybe not. Here is a reference on the subject:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark
Countries where a dot "." is used as decimal mark include the United Kingdom and the United States. That is the custom in India, China, and Japan, too according to my source. So it seems that most people on Earth today use the period as I do, not that I feel great compulsion to go with the majority. Just that it is convenient.
It was a little odd when we went to Europe for the first time, made us look twice at the price to be sure we were reading it correctly.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We use commas in Britain for 000's dividers, and full stops in decimals
Yes and so do Canada/Mexico/Aus/NZ/Philippines and many others.

Congratulations on your achievement. Do you have another milestone in mind?
Old 07-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on all your work and persistence to achieve this goal.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations on reaching the $M milestone!
Old 07-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #55

Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Congrats! Remember the first million is the hardest.
No kidding, still nowhere near
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Must be American if you use commas vs. periods.
Reminds me of a job I once had in Accounting. To save money, my company fired a bunch of IT guys and replaced them with some off-shore contractors. My job was to review the new reports the developers came up with for accuracy. The first report they sent had sales shown as 23543445. I sent it back and told them to put in the commas. They responded "where would you like them?"
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you're going to count the house you live in as part of the equation...you may as well count your vehicles too.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Not interested in 3 commas, but 8 digits might be nice.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
2 commas
Old 07-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #59

2 commas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
If you're going to count the house you live in as part of the equation...you may as well count your vehicles too.

Agreed. Though it is much easier to mark the house to market and not have to frequently adjust like the cars, which can also be wrecked easily. So for a practical implementation matter, it's not usually worth counting depreciating assets, wouldn't you agree?
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
Reminds me of a job I once had in Accounting. To save money, my company fired a bunch of IT guys and replaced them with some off-shore contractors. My job was to review the new reports the developers came up with for accuracy. The first report they sent had sales shown as 23543445. I sent it back and told them to put in the commas. They responded "where would you like them?"
They were very accommodating!