Join Early Retirement Today

2008-2010 zero pct adjusted net capital gain rate
Old 07-09-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

2008-2010 zero pct adjusted net capital gain rate

Is anyone taking advantage of the 2008-2010 zero pct adjusted net capital gain rate?

Planning for the 2008–2010 Zero-Percent Adjusted Net Capital Gain Rate

WebCPA - Capital gains planning: 2010 sunset date begins to matter

It seems like it would be helpful to take capital gains before 2011. But I haven't yet figured out the details.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

December 31st, 2010 will be a very bad day for the stock market.
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have already sold one investment property and plan to sell others before 2010 - when capital gains taxes go up - we will all have to jump into tax sheltered investments. The amount of revenue the gov. gets from increasing this tax is limited because of the flight to shelter - 15% feels fair - hopefully it won't go up to much...? But I fear it will.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here's the way I've been figuring what we will take in cap gains:

Code:

65100         top of 15% bracket for couple
7000           for 2 exemptions
15000 *      Schedule A itemized deductions
-500  *       interest 
-1000 *      dividends
-4000 *      cap gains from taxable funds (distributions)
-------------------------------------------------
 81600       cap gains we can take in 2008 and not pay taxes on this

Note the * values are just an example, not our numbers.
Also I'm counting on being able to do this in 2008, 2009 but wouldn't completely count on 2010 since Congress could change that year.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

So let's say I want to take advantage of this by selling some Vanguard 500 Index fund shares. Can I/should I place the sell order over the phone, and say, "sell those shares that will give me the largest capital gains," since I won't be paying any tax on them?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Al, at the risk of taking you seriously (or were you joking as per your signature line?) Vanguard probably has something on their web site regarding identifying specific shares for tax purposes.

LSBCAL
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I already did this. Back at the low point in March of this year I sold a bunch of appreciated stuff and moved it to other funds. Remember the zero percent bracket only extends to the top of the 15% ordinary income bracket. Doesn't really help you a whole lot if you are middle income or higher on the tax brackets already w/o additional gains. I may be able to pay zero % on 5-10k in gains. I plan to use up the zero percent bracket by year end and in the following years if I have any left over. I'm moving from tax inefficient actively managed funds into passive tax efficient index funds.

One thing to keep in mind is state taxes. I'm in a high tax state and I will have to pay 5.5% to 7.5% on all capital gains for state tax, regardless of my federal burden. No free lunch but pretty close.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

T-Al,

To comply with IRS rules, you'd have to give them written notification of the specific shares to sell. A phone call would not be sufficient. FIFO is assumed if you don't specify.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To comply with IRS rules, you'd have to give them written notification of the specific shares to sell.
Can I write "Sell the shares that will give me the most capital gain" or do I need to write "Sell the shares that I bought on Jan 2,2003"?

Also, is it worth it?

[Serious today]
Old 07-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Can I write "Sell the shares that will give me the most capital gain" or do I need to write "Sell the shares that I bought on Jan 2,2003"?

Also, is it worth it?

[Serious today]
Check the IRS rules on specific identification of shares. From what I recall, the basic rules are that the instructions have to be (a) written, and (b) be delivered to your agent/broker/whoever prior to the sale, i.e., no after-the-fact tax management.

If it were me, I would use the latter phrasing since it is unambiguous, and I've used such language in the rare cases where I've sold by specific ID.

Whether it's worth it or not is a value judgment. The tax savings are relatively easily quantified. On the flip side, once you sell specific shares that can create a recordkeeping burden on you -- I don't believe you can't go back to the average cost method. Vanguard certainly won't track your individual lot cost bases (basis-es?) for you.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote