Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-19-2007, 02:17 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I've decided to load my portfolio up with winners for 2008. To heck with this tax loss harvesting crap! I'm gona try to actually make some money in '08.

Ya I am really tired of tax harvestING, I feel like a farmer this year. Luckily I had some winners also, and ridiculous large distribution from a stock "index" fund.

So my 2008 resolution is to only invest in stocks that end the year higher!
It is right up there with exercise 5 times a week lose 25 lbs, and be nice to people on internet discussion boards.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2007, 02:59 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

add stock index funds and international funds. Increase equities to 80%.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:46 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
I expect to keep my asset allocations as they are with some minor tweaking.
Ditto.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:56 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gonna try again to figure out just exactly what my AA really is.:confused:
Old 12-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

In 2008 move another 1/3 of co stock in 401k to other funds.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #26

Maintain current AA, but gradually increase my exposure to index ETFs, buy a few beaten down stocks (financials) at the right time and gradually decrease my exposure to legacy managed (somewhat) high MER mutual funds.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:11 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Less international, dialing back REIT's to no more than 5% of the portfolio, reallocating to growth and small cap value
Isn't dialing back REITs just when they're down sort of like selling at the bottom of the market? Are you market timing?
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

It looks like I need to rebalance.

Gosh - I'm getting killed with distributions again! One fund paid out 7%! Another even more, I think. Taxes on the portfolio are going to be expensive again this year.

I took some steps earlier this year to increase the tax efficiency of my portfolio, but there is only so much you can do without changing the risk profile of your portfolio or incurring other tax consequences. Oh well.

No changes in basic investment strategy.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:51 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy View Post
Isn't dialing back REITs just when they're down sort of like selling at the bottom of the market? Are you market timing?
Yeah - better to hang to on what you already paid for.

I'll be adding to my REITs for the first time in many, many years since they've been beaten up so badly this past year.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:00 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I will be bumping up my bond exposure. I am headed down the 8 year home-stretch and will be tapering off my equity purchases.
BigBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:01 AM   #31

I'm presently 50%stock and 50%bonds/cash and plan no changes this year.
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My work is changing 401k providers in January, so I will probably need to rework the entire portfolio around whatever is the best (least-bad) option available there. Luckily I'm heavy on tax advantaged accounts, so can adjust most holdings without tax consequences. I'm going to be making lots of changes early 2008 but really trying to get AA back to what I wanted before the 401k switch. I'm thinking my goal is only rebalance every other year or so, but with all the fiddling, I may as well rebalance now. My AA was planned for long term investing, so I'll try to keep it the same.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Annual re-balancing of funds which have run up ~10% above my target allocation. I try to move $ as little as possible to reduce cap. gains tax's. I have all of the interest/div./cap gain distributions sent to my MM. I use that to build my budget 4 years from now - then create a 3 yr CD from it. This yearly harvesting not only locks in 4 years of living expenses but I get 5-6% interest on the $ - keeping the budget inline with inflation.

Since I am ER'ing on 12/31/07 I will be moving my 401k plan from Fidelity to Vanguard. The costs are significantly lower.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I plan to add REITs finally.

I've also been looking at adding international small cap to my portfolio, but haven't decided on it yet. I also don't have any emerging market targeted fund, so that's a possibility too. If I do this, I'll trim my international equity holding to to accommodate these additions.

Since we are ERing next year, and expecting significant inflow in early 08, I'll rebalance equity/bond to 65-35. We're in our mid-late 40s, so can go back to working if the market is too volatile.

I haven't changed my allocations for 5 years, but am convinced now that REITs have a place in my portfolio. Probably 5%.

Oh' and I've turned off automatic re-investment. That was the first preparing for ER step. Sent shivers down my spine.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Oh' and I've turned off automatic re-investment. That was the first preparing for ER step. Sent shivers down my spine.
I did that as well upon retirement and feel a lot better about it. I now control my cash flow decisions.... not some arbitrary reinvestment scheme. There was nothing more frustrating than having a big distribution get re-invested back into that stock fund which may have needed re-balancing anyway.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:50 PM   #36

Basically I'm selling some loser stocks. With the cash outs this year from left over vacation and holiday time, I'm going to be paying Uncle Sam and the state a little more this year.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:58 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
, buy a few beaten down stocks (financials) at the right time .
Please, please let us know when the right time is!! Not knowing what the right time is has cost me big bux over the past few decades!
Old 12-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

2008 adjustments

I've sold off today 90% of my small & mid european caps, guess the ride which started in July 2003 is over. The CAC40 has also already started to take the dive, though still the first to do so as DAX30, FTSE 100 are not yet bear, so I'll wait a bit on large caps to see what's next...
I'll add some US REITs & REITs based income funds (e.g. RIT, IGR, JRS) when they'll turn bull (obviously not yet) and some US regional bank stocks and ETFs when they'll turn bull (obviously not yet) and will add some div paying ETFs as I think we will have in 2008 a good opportunity to add good beaten stocks with significant yields when all this subprime mess will be over.
We'll have to keep an eye on US small and mid caps as the RUT is a bit worrying right now but I have a different perspective as I buy with euros at a bargain !

Some ideas to share with you and wish the best to you.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by poyet View Post
I've sold off today 90% of my small & mid european caps, guess the ride which started in July 2003 is over.
Good to hear from you, poyet, it's been a while!

But enough about your trading-- how's your software been doing?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Things are fine Nords
Old 12-23-2007, 01:37 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Things are fine Nords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Good to hear from you, poyet, it's been a while!

But enough about your trading-- how's your software been doing?
Everything's fine Nords, good to spend some time with you again. Things have been pretty hectic, my elder daughter has left France and works in DC after earning her MBA @ URI, I'm building a new 26 inches cassegrain scope, I've observed double stars and computed new orbits, thinking of another scope on top of the Oukaimeden (2750m) Marocco, soon will go skiing, etc...

Trading, and the software manages 10% of my portfolio (which itself is just 13-14% of my assets the remaining being RE). So, even if it is a project I'm very committed to its impact on my NAV is limited though ! The software has performed rather well, though we've missed a stronger trend. Did not succeed to get any "customer" to start a fund, frustrating...

The thread was more on global portfolio reallocation, i.e. investment, kind of positions you do not change very often. And that's what I'm focused on at the moment, as momentum is waining out of the market right now (at least in europe). Every month I run a Metastock explorer of mine to sort 187 ETFs in "Bull", "Bear", "Neutral" to get a feel of what's going on (it takes less than 5 minutes) and tend to maintain my cash level to the "bear" ratio, i.e. if 10% are bear I am 10% in cash. I'm currently raising my cash level to match the increase observed in the bear ratio which stands at 32% (e.g. european small & mid caps, Japan, US REITS, financials, banks, high yield & dividend stocks, consumer discretionary, small Value, Midcap Value, etc..).

Selling european small caps funds which I had in portfolio for more than 4 years and on which I doubled is not an easy decision. But that's done. Selling Japan was more frustrating as gains have been offset by the erosion of the Yen against the euro, so I'm not even sure to make gains on all positions in the end... etc.

I want to raise cash to buy REITs, US banks & financials & high yield dividend equity funds (as I'm getting older and want to secure more cash streams) when it will be time to do so, next year ? the year after ? we'll see but to keep things simple when the ROC(MM200) > 0 and Close > MM200 ! From what I see, it will not be next month for sure :-)

I like lurking a bit the boards as I get ideas from you. I was a bit annoyed to have missed the start of the shipping stuff, but I'll keep an eye on it.

So, here are some news. Hope everything was fine with you all.

Cheers