Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by poyet View Post
Trading, and the software manages 10% of my portfolio (which itself is just 13-14% of my assets the remaining being RE). So, even if it is a project I'm very committed to its impact on my NAV is limited though ! The software has performed rather well, though we've missed a stronger trend. Did not succeed to get any "customer" to start a fund, frustrating...
It'll be interesting to see how that performs over the long term.

As for small-caps' recent drop, I think more long-term performance is still there and this is a buying opportunity for asset allocations...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2007, 11:01 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It'll be interesting to see how that performs over the long term.

As for small-caps' recent drop, I think more long-term performance is still there and this is a buying opportunity for asset allocations...
Nords, you talk of US small-caps I guess ? I mentioned european small & mid caps. So far I've kept my US small and mid caps.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

1. ramp up international (prob thru taxable VFWIX or VGTSX) from ~10% to 20%
2. add onto an older REIT position to move it back up to 5%
3. begin to look more closely at total household AA for my and DW's multiple savings/retirement accounts - only basics covered so far
jblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:57 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm moving some bond fund $ to a traditional IRA, out of taxable. Most of it will still be in taxable, which is okay since I'm spending the distributions but I wanted to lower the tax bite a bit.

Along with that, I am re-purchasing a tax managed small cap fund in taxable, moving that allocation out of tax deferred.

I had made changes in my port this year when I decided to purchase a tiny cottage on three acres in the mountains I love. Got it at a great price. Plan to sell it in 35 years. I look at it as a way to turn my "virtual money" at Vanguard into money I could enjoy.

After making changes to take out funds to buy the cottage, I found myself focusing too much on distributions instead of total return. That Vanguard paper on total return made sense to me, and I read it at just the right time. So I'm finishing off this cottage buying period by putting small cap back in taxable and putting some bonds in deferred.

85% of my assets are in taxable accounts, so I've had to be thoughtful about what I put in deferred.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:24 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In a move toward greater free time and less responsibility i hope to sell a couple smaller multiple units out at the fringes of our rental perimeter. Current theory has us doing a 1031 exchange into one nice single family rental unit down in the warm-but-property-value-crashing country called SoCal and renting it out for some period of time over a year. Maybe sometime after a year or so has gone by we might end up living there.... Maybe another 1031 into a bit of country property up here - looked at 15 acres on a paved road with a bunch of trees and sky 2 miles out of town. Has a couple crummy mobiles on it that could be rented for a while and maybe down the road a couple or three years we might take up residence there - maybe do some house building in the meantime. Thinking that snowbirding might not be such a bad thing... It's bad - wanting to sell off the income producing rentals, but attracted by the scent of property bargains.
Oh. maybe buy an index stock if i can bring myself to believe that the buying opportunities are as good there as in real estate.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:36 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, we hit the big 65 next year. No changes; about 40% equity/50% bonds/10% cash.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by poyet View Post
Nords, you talk of US small-caps I guess ? I mentioned european small & mid caps. So far I've kept my US small and mid caps.
Yep, sorry, we're keeping the U.S. ones. Haven't chased down any European ones.

If I remember right Tweedy, Browne Global Value has been doing a lot of selling in Europe this year (10% of the share price will be distributed as cap gains). They sell when a share price hits "fair value" but they don't select for a particular market cap.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote