2012 returns of your investments

Both retired (55/58) taking instead of adding...

Back of the envelope says up a hair over 7%.

36/41/23

It's good enough for me. :)

Thanks for the blast from the past. I read the thread again, and had to add a new chapter to this conversation at the start of 2012:

And who'da thunk. But it turned out that my international funds were the top performers in 2012. Especially OAKIX, which had the most exposure in Europe :eek: and Japan :eek: and blew away all the other funds with a 29%+ 2012 return.

Actually, OAKIX wasn't my best performing fund in 2012. TAREX, a REIT with mostly international holdings managed a 36%+ return for 2012.

Funny how things often turn out that way.....[although sometimes it takes a few years for a turnaround].

Isn't it amazing that a year passes by faster than anyone can imagine? It won't be too long now until we are true geezers who walk with a cane. It's sad!

But back on stock performance, my best MFs/ETFs/stocks this year are mostly international, with returns better than 20%. Yes, it's about time too. Meanwhile I still have individual stocks in sectors such as mining and energy exploration that have been underperforming the market. Generally, my patience paid off, but when including my below-market return of last year(compared to S&P500), I am still not happy.

What's past is done, but I am looking forward to my long-holding international stocks and ETFs that were underperforming in 2011 and first-half of 2012 to continue to recover and do well in the near future. Revenge will be mine, which was my threat last year too.

9.22%

One trading account basically breaks even. Did not help with overall return. Got to remember to trade less in 2013.

I have an aggressive allocation 0f 89% equity vs 11% cd's. Equity is divided to 60% in foreign index funds and 40% are American funds

Return was 15%.

15.54% for a 75/25 portfolio. Looks nice but barely moves my total return rate since I started investing for retirement.

12.2% for my 401k, with about a 70/30 stock to nonstock allocation. As others have stated, much better than last year's negative return (-2.35%).

Mind if I join you at that bar?

8.62% XIRR with 35/50/15 AA

I'm very happy with that since it has now been 4 very solid years of gains since 2008.

Likewise, I'm sure. 8.5% (after factoring in fees) via similar AA, and similarly content: it's more than enough to cover my needs in current retirement.

You can find some of your category returns here: Morningstar.com: Fund Category Returns

Here is a selection of some of the US and Foreign ones, ordered by returns YTD:

sdchmc.jpg

up 11.8%, 50% various bond funds and 50% various stock funds. Continuing to invest through the 2008-2009 madness was worth it. The gains have me more seriously thinking of retiring sooner than 2015.

My individual stocks "mad money" account stock was up about 16%, but I don't take that to mean that I'm any good at picking individual stocks/ETFs. :)

Now all we need to do is merge this with the how complex is your portfolio thread and model/plot YTD return with number of funds :)

I don't have the numbers for our 401k's yet. For some reason the website hasn't updated for December yet. It will be a little higher than the rest of our money because I keep most of our international stock investments in the 401k's.

For everything else, we got 15.5%, from a 100% stock portfolio.

2012 was a very good year for me... I am not retired yet and had a major overweight in one stock that did particularly well....

I have 4 different buckets of money:
Current 401k, 10% of investments: Returned 12.5%
Private Investment Vehicle (after tax money), 20% of Investments: Returned 13.75%
After tax Investments, 35% of Investments: Returned 30.65%
Rollover IRA, 35% of Investment: Returned 14.46%

Total for 2013: 19.78%

I just sold a large portion of the overweighted stock and moved the cash to the private investment, so it will be interested in seeing how 2013 goes.

14.1%.......thats 5 years living expenses....Lets do it again this year!:dance:

60/40 split...with a large dose of vwinx. schwab rates my standard deviation at 5.94

14.1%.......thats 5 years living expenses....Lets do it again this year!:dance:

60/40 split...with a large dose of vwinx. schwab rates my standard deviation at 5.94

I never thought of it that way, but my 2012 return equates to almost 4 years of living expenses. :dance: Nice way to look at it.

12.91%

I was shocked that the Quicken report I just ran said 0.00% but then I saw it was current year-to-date (2013) so if I change it to last year (2012) it indicates 12.91%. :facepalm:

I'm quite happy with that as my deterministic assumption for retirement planning is an intentionally conservative 5.5%. Since my cash and invested assets increased 9.49% for 2012 it looks like my WR was ~ 3.4% compared to a target of 3.5%.

Target AA is 42% domestic equities, 14% international equities, 37% bonds and 7% cash/short term investments (or ~ 2 years of living expenses in cash/short term investments and 60/40 for investments) and is mostly Vanguard. ER is ~ 0.17%.

Update - reconciled my accounts earlier today and found a couple errors on some 12/31/2012 imported transactions and some other stragglers - now show 13.48% investment return and 10.05% increase in cash and invested assets. :dance:

13.9% in Vanguard 90/10 AA. 16.5% in 401k 96/4 AA.

11.04% - 60/40 AA - comprised of four index funds.

20.56%

All equities. 2012 was a great year to be an equity investor. 2011 wasn't so pretty.

It was interesting to see what worked especially well in 2012:

An Euro Fund
Various bank stocks
Various home improvement stores
Various recreational equipment manufacturers
Etc.

Ok, so I did the math, and to my surprise, I actually DID have a gain of 28.35% in addition to my contributions, to my TSP account! Wow....that sure feels good! Almost makes up for my crummy returns of last year (-6.9%). Sure wish I could do that every year...lol. I've already lost out the first two strong bull market days of 2013. :(

Here's the final return info for all of mine & DW's accounts:

My TSP: 28.35%
My VG Roth IRA: 11.4% (Target Retirement 2015)
DW VG Roth IRA: 11.4% (Target Retirement 2015)
DW 401k: 8.52% (too conservative, plan to adjust)

Last edited:
I never thought of it that way, but my 2012 return equates to almost 4 years of living expenses. :dance: Nice way to look at it.
It's not really yours until you sell. The market god may just take it all back. >:D Stop that silly dancing!

The gains of just 12/31/2012 and today 01/02/2013 for me were about enough for 2013 yearly expenses (3.5%WR). Should I sell everything and drive off in my RV and take the rest of the year off the market? I hope that in the days ahead, I will not regret NOT doing just that.

PS. Oops. Missed typing a word that makes all the difference in the meaning. It's capitalized as shown above.

Last edited:
I made 18.0% in 2012 on an allocation of 87% stocks (in mutual funds) to 13% bonds.

As was the case with bondi688, my Fidelity funds did better in 2012 than my Vanguard funds. Regardless, I'll take 18% any year no matter how it happens!

Back
Top Bottom