2012 returns of your investments

Like I said, I am glad that it seems 2012 has been a good year to many here. The exercise is just a partial look back using an easily comparable liquid metric. I am not sure getting into the weeds and do a whole estimation of net worth, a significant part of which is illiquid, is as useful. It is like almost too much details.

My portfolio of 80% dividend stocks and 20% debt (mostly individual bonds) clocked in at 9.97%... Not as good as the funds but the same portfolio earned 12% plus in 2011!

Total return of 12.8% between my IRA accounts and 401k. I transferred a significant portion of my 401k to my IRA in 2012. I plan to do more of the same this year. My AA is roughly 95/5.

Milkman

Up 11.65% at AA of 60/32/8 and will take as many more of these as possible going forward. No fuss no muss!

T-bird

Here are a few measures of 2012 investment performance:

• 16.99% 401(k) - plan's personal investment performance
  • 15.45% 401(k) - my XIRR calc
  • 06.73% SEP-IRA - my XIRR calc
  • 17.07% ALL - sum of +/- overall portfolio gains each month
  • 13.26% YR-YR - ending balances compared, contributions subtracted
I lagged the S&P500 for the year, but don't mind a bit.

Weird that I got different result this year for 401(k). Last year my calc and their calc was the same. Must be computer operator error.

:clap:

2012 was great but 2013 may be even better. For the heck of it, I let Quicken calculate the 2013 Average Annual Return based on the investment data for the first five days in 2013. How does an Average Annual Return of 1,464.03% sound? Too bad this five day trend can't continue at the same pace for the next 360 days.

Last edited:
2012 was great but 2013 may be even better. For the heck of it, I let Quicken calculate the 2013 Average Annual Return based on the investment data for the first five days in 2013. How does an Average Annual Return of 1,464.03% sound? Too bad this five day trend can't continue at the same pace for the next 360 days.
I'm going to tilt to those funds!

My 2013 guess is under 10% total return. The crystal ball says a serious correction is-a-comin'. But the market will come back to positive territory at end of year.

1st Q - up up up!
2nd Q - down
3rd Q - down down
4th Q - up

Your y'all does not really include myself, as I have quite a bit of international stocks despite being a US resident. I managed to do OK, but was not elated because foreign stocks held me back badly last year.

Equity (70% of portfolio - 40% domestic, 30% international): Up 16.1%
Bonds (5% of portfolio): Up 11.8%
Cash (25% of portfolio - I-bond, money market, stable value funds): Up 2.9%

Total Portfolio gain: 12.2%

My return was more modest, 7% net of fees, but as I am in Canada, my portfolio has a lower proportion of US stocks, which outperformed the TSX in 2012...
I have been monitoring each sector, and have seen signs of revival in international and emerging markets in recent months. I have shifted more of my "winning" US stocks to the latter markets. Throwing good money after bad? Eh, I like to live dangerously. ;)

Back
Top Bottom