Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

So that means I need to work long enough next year to make $24,000, plus whatever little bit my employer might contribute. Or $25,000 if I get the extra $1,000 for being over 55.

Not bad planning. April 1 is my target date. I can make up to $25,000, put it all in the 401k and not have any taxes. As they said in Veggie tales, I like it, it's sneaky and it just might work.
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67walkon View Post
So that means I need to work long enough next year to make $24,000, plus whatever little bit my employer might contribute. Or $25,000 if I get the extra $1,000 for being over 55.

Not bad planning. April 1 is my target date. I can make up to $25,000, put it all in the 401k and not have any taxes. As they said in Veggie tales, I like it, it's sneaky and it just might work.
My plan too. I have to be employed on April 1st. to get the 2013 bonus.
14thMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67walkon View Post

So your employer lets you contribute 100% of pay?

You guys are pretty dang clever! Giving me some ideas.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Be careful with the FSA plan and orthos. My FSA wouldn't let me pay upfront the full amount and then take the full reimbursement in the same year. They would only reimburse over the length of the service - which is usually a couple of years for braces. Check with your FSA administrator before funding your FSA if you are wanting to try to pay in full upfront.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
Be careful with the FSA plan and orthos. My FSA wouldn't let me pay upfront the full amount and then take the full reimbursement in the same year. They would only reimburse over the length of the service - which is usually a couple of years for braces. Check with your FSA administrator before funding your FSA if you are wanting to try to pay in full upfront.
+1

When I retired I had 30 days to empty the FSA. However, I was allowed to use the full year's target even though I had only contributed 2 months worth.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FSA rules drove me nuts.

I love the HSA. If you are HDHP w/HSA, you can also have a limited purpose FSA, but I'm not biting. Even more restrictive rules than the old FSA.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #27

Thanks for the tips on the FSAs. Off to go re-read the docs on our HR site.

The ortho is offering interest free payments... Except for the first lump sum (which won't qualify for FSA since I didn't have FSA set up this year.)

No discount for full payment up front (I asked.)

Fortunately, #2 son has fairly straight teeth.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Fortunately, #2 son has fairly straight teeth.
We were in the same situation in that our 2nd one didn't need any teeth straightening whereas #1 needed a lot doing.